Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help 10 g37 coolant loss 77k

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 04:57 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Puyallup
When this was happening to you... were you able to drive the car at all? If so, for how many miles before it overheat and/or coolant start dropping?

I was doing my oil change & noticed coolant was in the same area. The coolant reservoir level was about 1/4 above the Min line.

I saw another leak coming from the back of the Engine (see pics) but not sure if he can splash all the way to the front like what you had..

Old 07-02-2022, 05:04 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
additional pics. Thanks

After oil change, I drove the car around for a bit (maybe 5 - 10 miles) stop & go. The coolant level in Reservoir didn't seem to drop down but will verify & confirm in the morning after letting it cool down. Thanks

Old 09-16-2022, 07:45 PM
07_g35
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tite_tite
additional pics. Thanks

After oil change, I drove the car around for a bit (maybe 5 - 10 miles) stop & go. The coolant level in Reservoir didn't seem to drop down but will verify & confirm in the morning after letting it cool down. Thanks

noticed a puddle under my 2007 sedan today. same exact place as yours. looks like the water pump is giving up the ghost. it looks to puke the coolant out more when you shut it off.

does the rear cover have to come out to fix this leak? last post here: Help With Confirming the Coolant Lea - MyG37

getting conflicting info online.245k on the clock, so she don't owe me anything at this point.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:51 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Excellent information, with pics, in this thread: Water Pump Questions/DIY

You do NOT have to remove the REAR timing cover. Once you remove the FRONT cover the pump will be right there.

However, while you are in there and at 16 years/245k miles, it stands to reason your timing components (chains, guides, tensioners) might also need to be replaced. How far you want to go into this is up to you.
The following users liked this post:
JSolo (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 12:18 PM
07_g35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Excellent information, with pics, in this thread: Water Pump Questions/DIY

You do NOT have to remove the REAR timing cover. Once you remove the FRONT cover the pump will be right there.

However, while you are in there and at 16 years/245k miles, it stands to reason your timing components (chains, guides, tensioners) might also need to be replaced. How far you want to go into this is up to you.
yeah, been reading around all night yesterday. the reason i mentioned the rear cover was because several people (one of them i linked in my initial post) claimed they were told the leak was behind the rear cover somewhere. at this point i might just pop the cover and swap the pump and inspect the guides and tensioner (main), as well as the chain and gallery gaskets. if everything checks out, i'll button 'er up and start looking for a new low mileage engine to swap in at some point. what's the point of putting over $700 in parts (oem oil pump alone is half that) and still having 245k on the bearings and everything else? lol
Old 09-17-2022, 02:10 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
The "weep hole" may "drain" from near the rear timing cover, that I am not sure. But the source of the leak is usually the water pump seals.

As you alluded, it will be cheaper to just replace the whole engine. especially if you have the skills and tools needed. These engines are a dime a dozen nowadays...
Old 09-17-2022, 02:14 PM
07_g35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The "weep hole" may "drain" from near the rear timing cover, that I am not sure. But the source of the leak is usually the water pump seals.

As you alluded, it will be cheaper to just replace the whole engine. especially if you have the skills and tools needed. These engines are a dime a dozen nowadays...
yeah, there is a hole/slit right by where the rear of the a/c compressor is. i may even jb weld the hole shut and buy myself a bit of time before dropping the new engine in. as long as the front water pump oil seal (it's beefier) is not also bad and it will mix oil and coolant together. so far, both the oil and coolant are clear. i know, not the best idea, but at this mileage i don't really care if this thing goes out, even if not gracefully.