D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Water pump questions & DIY info

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:31 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Water pump questions & DIY info

hi guys newbie here
soooo I got a 2008 g37s 130k
so I知 going in to replace my water pump and I was wondering if I might as change out the gally gaskets while I知 at it and if there anything else I should replace while I知 in there
and if there was anything I need to watch out for
this is where I知 at
and tips for the harmonic balancer
thanks in advance

Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Sooooo yea harmonic balancer..... lol
Old 10-26-2018, 10:35 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I recently installed a Stillen lightweight crank pulley. I知 in the northeast and I knew it would be a bear to get the bolt out. I ended up warming the bolt up with MAP gas and holding the balancer with very large Channel Locks and breaking it free with a breaker bar. While I replaced the pulley, I also replaced the bolt and oil seal. Worked out great.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

so if anybody wants to buy me an early Christmas present it would be a breaker bar and possibly a new Matco pry bar lol
so I locked the harmonic balancer with the pry bar and the ground hopefully this doesn’t ruin the harmonic balancer, any veteran input?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GdaddyNY

I recently installed a Stillen lightweight crank pulley. I知 in the northeast and I knew it would be a bear to get the bolt out. I ended up warming the bolt up with MAP gas and holding the balancer with very large Channel Locks and breaking it free with a breaker bar. While I replaced the pulley, I also replaced the bolt and oil seal. Worked out great.
thanks for the help, I only have access to a propane torch at the moment and I don稚 have a break bar any more lol
Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jamie Nguyen

thanks for the help, I only have access to a propane torch at the moment and I don稚 have a break bar any more lol
You could always put a pipe on a ratchet ( Please be careful) and a can of MAP gas isn稚 expensive and will work with your propane torch tip, you just need to be conservative when applying heat. Got any friends or family with tools you can borrow?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

You could always put a pipe on a ratchet ( Please be careful) and a can of MAP gas isn稚 expensive and will work with your propane torch tip, you just need to be conservative when applying heat. Got any friends or family with tools you can borrow?
lol everyone痴 out clubbing so I guess when I got get another bar I値l pick up a can of map
Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Good Luck, and yeah, definitely get that oil passage gasket updated, sure don't want to get back in there again, and always be wondering if that poor old gasket is ready to fail.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

i had some spare ratchets and I took the one that looks most scratched up and the longest fence post I could find and worked like a charm

Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Since the harmonic balancer purpose is to be balanced and have play for the belts so it does wear on your bearings, I shoved a pry bar in to stop the pully and I have a small gouge any professional opinion? Keep or no?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Glad you got it off. If the gouge is the mark I think it is in your picture, I think you値l be just fine. I would reccomend a new crank bolt and oil seal there. Keep posting pics of your water pump adventure
Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Glad you got it off. If the gouge is the mark I think it is in your picture, I think you’ll be just fine. I would reccomend a new crank bolt and oil seal there. Keep posting pics of your water pump adventure
I second this...as our G's get up there in mileage and more people have to tackle this job your pics and tips will be very usefull.

Glad you got the pully off in the future and for anyone else looking at this theres also a tool available (part No #J48641) to hold the pully in place https://www.nissantechmate.com/tools/product/9094 and video here on hit being used:

and btw, while you are in there, you might want to change the timing chain and the tensioners as well as the plastic timing chain tensioner guides you can get kits from Z1 with OEM parts and rockauto has aftermarket kits too

good luck!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Jamie Nguyen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
I second this...as our G's get up there in mileage and more people have to tackle this job your pics and tips will be very usefull.

Glad you got the pully off in the future and for anyone else looking at this theres also a tool available (part No #J48641) to hold the pully in place https://www.nissantechmate.com/tools/product/9094 and video here on hit being used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=u4BJRmlw0Ak

and btw, while you are in there, you might want to change the timing chain and the tensioners as well as the plastic timing chain tensioner guides you can get kits from Z1 with OEM parts and rockauto has aftermarket kits too

good luck!
yea I haven稚 ordered parts yet but I came down with the flu anyways, I got stuck driving the 650whp 335i in this terrible weather lol, the pry bar against the floor was pretty easy, I didn稚 loose any metal so the weight should be the same, anyone that wants to attempt this I would advise wrapping the pry with a rag, I used a brand new Matco pry bar so idk how other brands hold up bc my cheap breaker bar didn稚 stand a chance, your post actually hurts my feelings bc I wanted to mass produce that product for every make, guess it was already thought of lol but ill post up pictures and advise on taking it apart, and it痴 worth take everything apart, everything is cake after that
Old 10-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
yeah the little gouge in the the pulley should really be fine, lol sorry about the feelings man, the part is still over $250 for something that people will probably only use once so the pry bar method will probably remain popular, I've used that method on axles and in doling other work on the car the only issue I have with it is that I always forget to put a rag on the floor end and it usually damages the floor. I know heat is an option but I never have had much luck with even map gas (i'm probably not doing it right)...one other method I read about on the 350z forums was putting a breaker bar on it and turning over the engine before taking apart all the other stuff but I feel like thats super sketchy...

I'm curious as to whether you anticipate any issue getting the timing chain cover off? I have seen a video of a guy doing this work and it seems like it could get warped, cracked or gauged pretty easy...

I'm past 170 000 miles on my original water pump and I'm anticipating having to do this some time in the future very suddenly so I'll be following your progress closely

Quick Reply: Water pump questions & DIY info