Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

External exchanger for 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
External exchanger for 7AT

I had the Z1 External Auto Transmission Cooler installed several months ago. The Z1 page doesn't list a brand for the cooler but Hayden is embedded in the url. The kit came with most of the necessary hardware for installation. I have no OBD reader so I have no idea how effective it is, but it didn't seem to help when on the track. The TCU still interferes after the first 20 minute session by performing uncommanded up-shifts and ignoring down-shift commands. Regardless, I won't remove the kit as it has to help in some small degree, and for the price it's difficult to beat.

I had it plumbed in series after the exchanger in the radiator. This probably cools too much for the street but I put track performance first. And, #Texas

Here's the bumper cover off.

The plastic radiator support had a blank webbed area that was opened to pass the coolant lines through.

Front view of the exchanger test fitted for placement.

Top view of the installed exchanger. The back side of the exchanger is resting on the front lip of the radiator support, the right side is bolted to the center support and the strap on the left side is bolted to the radiator support.

I have since had an oil cooler installed on the passenger side above the PS fluid exchanger, with the somewhat impaired airflow I think it's time I popped for a two-row radiator. It won't be CSF, that's for sure.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 12-14-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cooler on the front passenger side is the stock auto trans cooler correct?

Been wanting to do this mod as it can only help but was unsure of the plumbing. Where did you tap into for the lines leading into the Z1 cooler? Any photos?

Mishimoto make a dual row for our cars?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The exchanger on the passenger side in front of the radiator is for the power steering fluid. The OE trans cooler is inside the radiator end tank on the driver's side.

It was easy to use the existing fittings and hard lines to plumb the cooler. Top hard line goes into the radiator, bottom outlet is routed to the external exchanger then it's connected to the hard line back to the trans. No cutting required. You are actually expected to bypass the trans exchanger in the radiator but I wanted the extra cooling.

I have a few months to do research before it gets hot again, but I know Mishimoto is one company offering VQ37 radiators.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (12-15-2018)