Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Gallery Gasket - Is It Inevitable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 09:00 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiterocket
Is there any sign of oil leaking under the car when its parked. Like stains on the driveway? Or is this only noticable putting in an oil pressure gauge?
The gaskets in question are internal to the engine itself- specifically to the timing gallery. There is no external indication when/if these gaskets fail. Installing a pressure gauge is the only surefire way to "keep a eye on things" before things go bad.
The following users liked this post:
Whiterocket (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 10:08 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would charge 8-10 hours. That includes diag, and replacement of the water pump/or water pump o-rings whichever client would perfer. I Highly recommend doing the water pump while your in there. I’ve done so so many water pumps on these cars!! REMEMBER THIS—The G37 oil galley gaskets are not available separately-comes with the rear cover, you HAVE to ask them to price out oil gasket’s for an 07-08 G35 HR it’s the same part- otherwise you will get the advisor saying parts aren’t available separately bull crap!! If your in DFW come see me :-)
Originally Posted by Rockets
I wonder what's the current cost for this repair at Nissan/Infiniti dealership?

It's like 8-12 hour labor, isn't it?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:11 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Well about a year ago we got my sisters done including water pump and T stat. 1650 ish out the door. Puyallup Nissan.

Infiniti of Tacoma wanted 3500+ just for gasket job.
this is because of the timing cover they want you to buy plus oil plus coolant and 16 hours labor at 200$ an hour. What bull!! I NEVER f people like that at my dealer-might be because I’m a G fanatic. I own 3 myself!
PNW_IPL (04-16-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 10:30 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ToXIc
are their symptoms to this problem or just bam dead engine?
its normally not bam dead engine fast. Symptoms usually happen without you noticing. IE: from a stop you slowly accelerate and find some delay or a bucking, or what seems like a ’ 2 step’. Most early models throw P0011, P0021 codes—07,08. Late model 09’s and 10’s oil light flickers after driving a while and in Stop and go traffic a lot of times when late models 9 1/2+ have timing codes they usually also have oil pressure code P0524 when it’s an oil galley gasket failure. BUT remember this there are 2 gaskets upper and lower. Upper feeds the solenoids and sprockets lower comes from your block. So there are several circumstances that you have to take into count when diagnosing this. Good luck all!

PNW_IPL (04-16-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The gaskets in question are internal to the engine itself- specifically to the timing gallery. There is no external indication when/if these gaskets fail. Installing a pressure gauge is the only surefire way to "keep a eye on things" before things go bad.
any suggestions as to type/brand oil gauge to get?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

any suggestions as to type/brand oil gauge to get?
I personally use a Matco oil/trans pressure gauge set myself. I’ve seen others use harbor freight or amazon sets with very close results. As to longevity of the off brands-can not definitively say. But now days most sets are pretty accurate. Just don’t over tighten the npt fitting at the upper pan!! I wouldn’t waste money on an a piller gauge if that’s what your asking( dont think you are)
Whiterocket (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Having not had the issue yet, I haven't looked into it. That said, since Infiniti won't admit this is an endemic problem and even though they quietly changed the gasket for 2012, I question whether they will update their internal manuals to recommend replacing pre-2012 gaskets with the newer item
not ever gonna happen. Model years are way to old to amend service manuals for a suggested part- not the way that works. Amendments are only for service procedure not for part number replacement
Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by InfPerformance
I personally use a Matco oil/trans pressure gauge set myself. I’ve seen others use harbor freight or amazon sets with very close results. As to longevity of the off brands-can not definitively say. But now days most sets are pretty accurate. Just don’t over tighten the npt fitting at the upper pan!! I wouldn’t waste money on an a piller gauge if that’s what your asking( dont think you are)
thanks. Definitely wouldnt do an a-pillar. I just have to figure out how to install this thing and where I need to hook the gauge line up to. I have mechanical experience just not with these cars. Mainly diesel pick ups. I've owed diesel pick ups until I bought this car. Heard alot of good things. I absolutely love it. Know where I can find a pic/direction of the port the line hooks up to?
Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

thanks. Definitely wouldnt do an a-pillar. I just have to figure out how to install this thing and where I need to hook the gauge line up to. I have mechanical experience just not with these cars. Mainly diesel pick ups. I've owed diesel pick ups until I bought this car. Heard alot of good things. I absolutely love it. Know where I can find a pic/direction of the port the line hooks up to?
these cars are definitely solid. Secret is maintaining them. This G had 165k and needed head gaskets and a water pump.This one had great service history. They’ll definitely last. Attaching a picture of where the oil pressure switch is. Remove that and install gauge.

Whiterocket (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:18 PM
Whiterocket
Registered Member

Originally Posted by InfPerformance
these cars are definitely solid. Secret is maintaining them. They’ll last. Attaching a picture of where the oil pressure switch is. Remove that and install gauge.

perfect. Simple enough. Thank for the help!!
PNW_IPL (04-16-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 PM
InfPerformance
Registered Member

perfect. Simple enough. Thank for the help!!
Anytime!
PNW_IPL (04-16-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:58 PM
TOnG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should the gallery gasket problem stop me from buying a pre-2013 G37? Although I do have an emergency fund, if I happen to buy a pre-2013, I can't be setting aside a $4000 "gallery gasket repair fund". That's just way too much money to put on reserve over a $15 part inside the engine.

What kind of odds are we talking here? 1 out of 3 chance it goes bad? 1 out of 10?
Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TOnG
Should the gallery gasket problem stop me from buying a pre-2013 G37? Although I do have an emergency fund, if I happen to buy a pre-2013, I can't be setting aside a $4000 "gallery gasket repair fund". That's just way too much money to put on reserve over a $15 part inside the engine.

What kind of odds are we talking here? 1 out of 3 chance it goes bad? 1 out of 10?
It's really hard to say how many are affected but there are quite a few. I would contact hills garage, I believe they're located somewhere in the east coast. They may have more info on how many may be affected. Single best piece of advice is GET AN OIL PRESSURE TEST. that's how you can know 100 percent before buying
Old 06-17-2020, 05:02 PM
G37xRoss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Its definitely common. The only symptoms are low oil pressure.

Add a guage like I did and you'll be able to monitor. Once I start seeing oil p below 15 I'll start preparing.

what parts did you have to buy to do this? I’d rather go off the oil filter than the sensor port. Any information would help a ton.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:04 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by G37xRoss
what parts did you have to buy to do this? I’d rather go off the oil filter than the sensor port. Any information would help a ton.
Buy my MIshimoto sandwich plate that's in the CLassifieds section!

Quick Reply: Gallery Gasket - Is It Inevitable?