Intermittent loss of power, clears immediately after restart - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Reload this Page >

Intermittent loss of power, clears immediately after restart

Notices
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Scott Kauffman

This has happened twice now on my Q40: just driving along and the car is running smooth but at some point I try and accelerate and it just crawls like a 3 cylinder yugo. Flooring it the car will downshift and RPM's will verrrrrrry slowly raise to 5-6k range and engine still runs smooth but just has no power whatsoever. No check engine light at all.

Both times I turned car off and as soon as I restarted it was 100% back to normal (this morning just turned it off and immediately back on). Limp mode wouldn't let it rev that high would it? Or it would set a CEL? Since when did rebooting your car fix issues like a windows PC lol

I don't have a scanner to see if it has pending codes but it's only done it twice now in about 6 months so maybe it just never repeats enough to trip an active check engine light..

Curious if anyone ever heard of an issue like this?
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Oh, yes, it has occured to others. Infortunately, i don't know what solves the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to slartibartfast For This Useful Post:
Scott Kauffman (10-13-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM
beefychicken

Just went through this on a '14 Q60 / Rebadged G37.

I read through multiple threads (G37 and 370Z) that all noted the problem, with the newest threads from around '08 (IIRC), and each ended with a trip to the dealer and silence.

My symptoms were sporadic fits of no power and slow revving that were the same as you mentioned. I will say that this low power symptom is borderline dangerous when it happens as the car does not accelerate, especially at highway speeds. Sometimes it would be this way right after a cold start, (have fun with today's commute...). Sometimes it would go into low power mode while just driving along.

It would go back to normal acceleration if i shut off the car for bit and restarted or did an ECU reset. Regardless, the symptoms always returned during the current drive or on the next drive. I only got the CEL for a MAF issue one time, more on that later. It seems as if the symptoms are some form of a sadistic limp mode.

i used the Torque Pro app while the symptoms were active and noted that the left bank fuel trims were off the scale in the negatives thus adjusting for extremely rich exhaust stream and the timing advance wouldn't move much past 0.

The one time the CEL stayed on, i pulled the code and it indicated a failed left MAF sensor. Instead of changing it, i first tried cleaning it with MAF sensor cleaner and believe it or not, everything worked afterwards. That was a about two weeks / 200 miles ago and all is still well. Not sure what it was all about, but it seems ok now.

I would suggest taking it in to the dealer if it is still under warranty, otherwise, try cleaning the MAF sensors. I used CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner.

Best Regards.
The Following User Says Thank You to beefychicken For This Useful Post:
Scott Kauffman (10-13-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Scott Kauffman

Thanks, ordered a Bluetooth obd scanner to see if there's anything weird going on. It's only happened twice in six months so guessing there's not much the dealer could do unless there's something weird in scan results.