Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37X Coupe Rear differential Noise / Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 AM
Oldmanriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37X Coupe Rear differential Noise / Vibration

Good morning everybody! I joined in order to help a friend I had a 2004 G 35X sedan in the past and I'm somewhat familiar with these vehicles. I am turning to the forum for some input in regards to yesterday's problem with my friends 2012 G 37X Coupe.

There was nothing noticeably wrong when she got to my house to do rear brakes and rotors I did run into an issue with the guide pins but ultimately got everything squared away on the left rear installing new pads and a rotor. Once I completed the left rear brakes I took the vehicle for a test drive everything was fine and in good working order. We ran out of daylight and she decided to drive home to return in the morning to finish the other side. As she backed down my driveway I noticed she did not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop before going from reverse to drive I heard an audible pop my hearing is not the best after my time spent on the M1 Abrams. I couldn't determine whether it was mechanical or things shifting around in the trunk. I received a phone call from her about five minutes later stating that she could hear noise in the car was vibrating/shaking. When she got back I did not have to drive it for long to notice there was a problem.

I asked her if that was something that she frequently did as far as not allowing the vehicle to come to a complete stop before moving the gear selector. She said she does that very frequently. I suspect the rear differential just happened to break down before the transmission from these actions.

There is a noticeable clunk that can be heard and felt coming from the rear differential. My plan is to check the fluid first to see if the level is appropriate as well as any debris that may be present in the rear diff. If anybody is familiar with what we are experiencing any help would be greatly appreciated as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

I will try to post a video of what we are experiencing at some point today. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the site. I moved your question to a more appropriate forum.

From my reading over the years, two simple things to check before diving into the diff are:
  • the u-joints can wear, and
  • is the rear bushing ruptured? Look for what looks like oil dripping down the diff cover.
The bushing is a known weak point and Infiniti charges about $1,400 to replace. The bushing itslf isn't replaceable, Infiniti instead replaces the entire rear cross member. There are urethane bushings available but they take a good six hours to install because you have to drop the diff and the old bushing is a bear to remove. There a couple of different cheap sort-of fixes, one involves injecting urethane into the bushing and the other inserts screws around the bushing to stiffen it. Both can be found in our DIY forum.

If neither of the above, then investigate the diff. I don't recall it being fragile but the lady's driving style could cause damage, but with the fluid coupling that is the automatic trans, I doubt it.