Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

When to change transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:09 PM
derekjl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to change transmission fluid?

I'm getting all of the drivetrain fluids changed on my '13 G37x in a few weeks. I am at 50,000 miles and they have never been done. Aside from the differentials and transfer case, should I really need the transmission fluid done as well? I have the 7AT. I know according to the manual it is a "lifetime" fluid, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable going past 100,000 miles on the factory fluid. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, my dealer is willing to do all of these fluids, including the tranny fluid, for $285 before tax. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 08-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
thats pretty good if it includes, oil change, transmission, both diffs and the transfer case...the fluids/filter alone might cost almost that much if not more
Old 08-13-2018, 08:06 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a very controversial topic. I don’t want to get into a fight with anyone, but I will share my personal
experiences.

In general, I have an issue with the concept of “lifetime fluids”. I understand the motivation of Manufacturer’s to promote that, and I understand that fluids and mechanicals have become dramatically better in the last 20-30 years. So it comes down to your definition of “lifetime”.

At one point a couple of years ago I bought into the “lifetime” transmission fluid idea. But not anymore. My daughter drives a 2005 Camry with 150k Miles. It developed a torque converter shudder. I added some aftermarket
”shudder fix”. It worked for a year and then the shudder returned. I took it to a Toyota dealer
for a complete fluid change. The shudder is gone.

IMO transmission fluid wears out and needs to be replaced. Maybe it doesn’t need 30k changes like in the old
days, but it won’t last forever like Infiniti says.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 PM
derekjl

Originally Posted by yoda466
This is a very controversial topic. I don’t want to get into a fight with anyone, but I will share my personal
experiences.

In general, I have an issue with the concept of “lifetime fluids”. I understand the motivation of Manufacturer’s to promote that, and I understand that fluids and mechanicals have become dramatically better in the last 20-30 years. So it comes down to your definition of “lifetime”.

At one point a couple of years ago I bought into the “lifetime” transmission fluid idea. But not anymore. My daughter drives a 2005 Camry with 150k Miles. It developed a torque converter shudder. I added some aftermarket
”shudder fix”. It worked for a year and then the shudder returned. I took it to a Toyota dealer
for a complete fluid change. The shudder is gone.

IMO transmission fluid wears out and needs to be replaced. Maybe it doesn’t need 30k changes like in the old
days, but it won’t last forever like Infiniti says.

Thanks for your input. Maybe Infiniti means lifetime as in "lifetime of the transmission" and not lifetime of the car. I'm no expert, but I would guess that these transmissions are not designed to last much longer than 150k-200k miles. I highly doubt we will have the car past 100k miles anyway. I did some further research and it looks like it is highly advised NOT to flush the transmission, but to "replace" the fluid. I am not sure what the actual difference is, other than the replacement simply drains the fluid instead of extracting X amount and replacing that same amount, which is pointless in my opinion. So, if the dealer actually does the drain/refill I might do it, but not if they flush/replace.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I thought it was supposed to be done every 30k. I had mine done for $215 for just the tranmsission. I got the cars records from Infiniti, which told me it had been done before. What I didn't realize that it already had a new rear subframe, so the rear diff didn't need to be serviced. Didn't know and got the Z1 poly diff bushings and subframe sleeves. In hindsight overkill at this time. Would have rather put the money into new Coilovers.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM
derekjl

Originally Posted by ezbme
I thought it was supposed to be done every 30k. I had mine done for $215 for just the tranmsission. I got the cars records from Infiniti, which told me it had been done before. What I didn't realize that it already had a new rear subframe, so the rear diff didn't need to be serviced. Didn't know and got the Z1 poly diff bushings and subframe sleeves. In hindsight overkill at this time. Would have rather put the money into new Coilovers.
Nowhere in the manual can I find that it says it must be done every 30k miles. I could be wrong, but I cannot find it. Also, it's possible the service guy misquoted me. $285 for everything seems impossible, probably $385. The most important fluids other than the oil in my opinion are the diffs, transfer case, and the brake fluid. Heck, even changing the transmission fluid at 60k miles could be overkill.

EDIT: I see you are in the LA area, so $215 for just the tranny fluid might not be unheard of out there. I do know my dealer is very good with pricing, an oil/filter change is like $37.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
people need to learn the difference between schedule 1 and schedule 2. schedule 1 is not mandatory and is a waste of money unless u meet the description of schedule 1
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM
derekjl

Originally Posted by saywat?
people need to learn the difference between schedule 1 and schedule 2. schedule 1 is not mandatory and is a waste of money unless u meet the description of schedule 1
What "people" are you referring to? Are you honestly saying that it is a waste of money to EVER change your drivetrain fluids? I understand that the topic of changing transmission fluid is highly debatable, but changing things like differential fluids should really be a no-brainer, at some point in the life of the car. I also own a '15 VW GTI and the owner's manual/dealership says that 10k mile oil change intervals are fine and dandy. Some manufactures say 15k miles. Also highly debatable, but I stick to 5k mile oil change intervals.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
You could do a 1 or 2x drain & fill now and then in another 30k miles drop the pan for a cleaning and another service, or just wait until you get 75k miles and do a 3x D&F and a pan cleaning. I did the latter a couple years ago and still performing well, I DIYd the service and there was pretty good buildup in the pan & magnets and the shifting wan't as crisp as it was after the service so IME it's a worthwhile service.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 PM
derekjl

UPDATE: I decided to go ahead with the entire drivetrain service (tranny fluid, transfer case, both differentials). In addition, also did the brake fluid since it had never been done. All of this stuff, along with an oil change, came to just over $400 before tax. Not bad at all for a dealership in my opinion. I swear the car feels and sounds quieter now.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:41 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Originally Posted by derekjl
UPDATE: I decided to go ahead with the entire drivetrain service (tranny fluid, transfer case, both differentials). In addition, also did the brake fluid since it had never been done. All of this stuff, along with an oil change, came to just over $400 before tax. Not bad at all for a dealership in my opinion. I swear the car feels and sounds quieter now.
I think that was a wise decision. And I think the dealer price for all of those services was very fair. I also think that your perception that the car is now running better is probably in your head. OMG!

But honestly that is ok. That service was reasonable,appropriate, and fair. If you think it improved performance, that is a bonus. Enjoy your car.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:27 PM
derekjl

I think that was a wise decision. And I think the dealer price for all of those services was very fair. I also think that your perception that the car is now running better is probably in your head. OMG!

But honestly that is ok. That service was reasonable,appropriate, and fair. If you think it improved performance, that is a bonus. Enjoy your car.
You are probably right about it running better lol. I have felt that way before. Now, onto the brakes and tires. Dealer quoted me almost $1300 for the front and back brakes, not unheard of for a dealer I suppose. I can get the factory parts online for $500 with free shipping and have a local shop do the labor, would probably save $500 that way, unless the dealer includes something else with that like hardware. Can't I reuse everything normally?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:40 PM
yoda466
Registered Member

Originally Posted by derekjl
You are probably right about it running better lol. I have felt that way before. Now, onto the brakes and tires. Dealer quoted me almost $1300 for the front and back brakes, not unheard of for a dealer I suppose. I can get the factory parts online for $500 with free shipping and have a local shop do the labor, would probably save $500 that way, unless the dealer includes something else with that like hardware. Can't I reuse everything normally?
OK, so new brakes at 50k miles. That’s not unreasonable or abnormal. Personally I get more miles
than that on average from my brakes, but my driving style is different than many. $1300 for brakes sounds to me like new pads and rotors at all corners, at dealership prices. If that is what you need, and if you want to have the work done at a dealership, then that is probably reasonable.

Personally i I don’t buy the current standard of replacing rotors at every pad change. I think it is often a make money scam for the shop. And these G cars are well known to wear out rear brakes faster
than fronts. It seems unlikely to me that you need new pads and rotors on all four corners after 50k miles. Unless you are a very aggressive driver. I would get a second opinion on your brakes.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 PM
derekjl

OK, so new brakes at 50k miles. That’s not unreasonable or abnormal. Personally I get more miles
than that on average from my brakes, but my driving style is different than many. $1300 for brakes sounds to me like new pads and rotors at all corners, at dealership prices. If that is what you need, and if you want to have the work done at a dealership, then that is probably reasonable.

Personally i I don’t buy the current standard of replacing rotors at every pad change. I think it is often a make money scam for the shop. And these G cars are well known to wear out rear brakes faster
than fronts. It seems unlikely to me that you need new pads and rotors on all four corners after 50k miles. Unless you are a very aggressive driver. I would get a second opinion on your brakes.
Well that's the thing, I can feel them rumble if I am fairly aggressive on them...the rears are worse than the fronts. It doesn't take much for the rears to start shaking, but to cause the same thing in the front takes a lot more stopping from high speeds.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
im a fan of changing rotors with brakes but i dont change brakes often at all. i dont drive much and only change brakes once during my ownership. but i jus like changing both for that peace of mind plus parts are not THAT expensive. i go with centric and stoptech pad. very reasonable and i dont like doing things twice

Quick Reply: When to change transmission fluid?