Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

how to turn off Check Engine ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:36 PM
G37b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how to turn off Check Engine ???

Hi All,
my g37's check engine light wont go out and stay out... I have spent over $3k replacing and fixing stuff... the Infiniti dealer cant find any other issues... when they run for a 'code' nothing shows up... they keep charging me to check for the problem but they cant find any... and the CE light WONT GO OFF and stay off... they turn it off.. and a day or 2 later it comes back on.... how can I turn the CE light OFF and have it stay off? i am sick of paying the dealer $125 just to run codes and NOT find anything. we've fixed all there is to be fixed.... just want the light off... thx all..
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Unplug the battery or I use this method:

Edit: I'm not sure how to make the CE Light STAY off, but this is how I reset it. Sorry, can't help you about keeping it off 24/7, but I'm assuming that would not be smart as if something else goes wrong, you won't know since the light is off 24/7?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Herbicider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas tank cap? mine comes up every time after I fill my tank until I replaced it...
And BTW there are a lot part store can do free code reading, might give you some insight. I really don't like all infiniti dealers in my State...

Last edited by Herbicider; 07-22-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM
G37b

unhooking battery doesnt work for some reason... tried that. advanced auto has looked for codes and cant find any either...
Old 07-22-2018, 05:10 PM
G37b

this doesnt work on my car... of course...
Old 07-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Buy a code reader and clear it yourself when it comes on.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 PM
G37b

Originally Posted by Kb Cool
Buy a code reader and clear it yourself when it comes on.
comes right back on...
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 PM
G37b

the video above actually worked... well for about 5 mins... it turned the CEL off... i thot i was in the clear... went to go to the store 30 mins later... CEL back on.... UGGGHHHH!!!
this thing is friggin demon possessed!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Lamify
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whats the code you got? otherwise if you dont fix it, its gonna keep coming back up
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 PM
G37b

Originally Posted by Lamify
Whats the code you got? otherwise if you dont fix it, its gonna keep coming back up
no codes showing up.... got to be a way to turn off... and stay off.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
First off, it will not throw a CEL without an actual problem, no matter how momentary. The CEL is like a computer monitor. the monitor will display the warning based on what the rest of the computer is telling it, so turning off the monitor will not fix the problem.

I am assuming something is failing for a split second, and as the car warms it starts working and is fine. It only takes a short while for the code to reset. You have to dig a little deeper. Even the more simple code readers will show another section you have to check: Pending codes. You'll probably find your issue there.

And if not, you'll either have to get a good scanner or have a real tech watch the live data and see what happens while the vehicle is running. You might be getting a misfire (your most likely cause), or a bad o2 reading.

What is your year, mileage and the last time you had the plugs done?
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael_in_DE:
Baadnewsburr (07-25-2018), monytx (07-25-2018), slartibartfast (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM
G37b

Originally Posted by Michael_in_DE
First off, it will not throw a CEL without an actual problem, no matter how momentary. The CEL is like a computer monitor. the monitor will display the warning based on what the rest of the computer is telling it, so turning off the monitor will not fix the problem.

I am assuming something is failing for a split second, and as the car warms it starts working and is fine. It only takes a short while for the code to reset. You have to dig a little deeper. Even the more simple code readers will show another section you have to check: Pending codes. You'll probably find your issue there.

And if not, you'll either have to get a good scanner or have a real tech watch the live data and see what happens while the vehicle is running. You might be getting a misfire (your most likely cause), or a bad o2 reading.

What is your year, mileage and the last time you had the plugs done?
well 3 diff mechanics... 1 being the infiniti dealer... said they can find no true issues with it. its an '12 and just changed the plugs 72k miles
Old 07-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Michael_in_DE
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G37b
well 3 diff mechanics... 1 being the infiniti dealer... said they can find no true issues with it. its an '12 and just changed the plugs 72k miles

Well, five things:
1. There is no magic easy bullet to fix this.
2. The CEL does not light by itself for no reason. And there are no honest ways to disable the CEL if that is what you are asking us to help you with.
3. Either you're not telling us everything or the information you're giving us is not accurate.
4. I find it hard to believe that 3 mechanics, much less a dealer tech did not run live data to find your issue. After all, they LOOOOVE to charge by the hour for diagnostics, and no mechanic wants to say: I have no idea what's wrong.
5. You give a vague amount of money spent to 'fix' the problem yet you don't mention what any of those repairs were. Why did they put those particular parts on? They didn't just randomly select parts and throw on a rear hub, or new air filter. What did they put on and why?

Frankly friend, it sounds like you're trying to sell the car, you have a CEL, thought it would be an easy fix, threw a part or two at it, couldn't fix it and now you just want the problem to go away so you can sell it.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM
G37b

Originally Posted by Michael_in_DE
Well, five things:

Maybe I'm wrong.
yes you are correct with that statement...
Old 07-25-2018, 04:24 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Man, you are going about the forum in a very wrong way. Looking at all your posts you are very obscure with your questions and many of your answers are readily available on google or in this very forum. We are simply trying to get more information. No need to be a smart ***.

You are saying things like you've spent 3k "fixing and replacing stuff" what have you replaced or fixed? Why was the check engine light on in the first place. Then you say you're sick of paying $125 for diagnostics when any AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance etc can run codes for free.

Help us help you. Stop being so vague and explain yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (07-25-2018)

Quick Reply: how to turn off Check Engine ???