Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch Position Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I let this project slide, and the car experienced three more no-start events. Yesterday was particularly bad, so today I went to swap the switch.

However, new switch, old switch... doesn't matter. Even tried manually depressing the switch in while pressing the ignition button, but it just won't engage. The dash lights up, but I get the "clutch" warning in the center, which I think means it doesn't recognize the switch being in a closed position. What could that possibly mean? I'm wondering if the wiring is loose at the clip somehow. Suppose now I have to get out a volt meter and test the connection.

Dammit. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Rochester; 08-05-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:03 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
What happens if you bypass the switch altogether and try starting while shorting out the 2 pins in the connector that goes to the switch?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
What happens if you bypass the switch altogether and try starting while shorting out the 2 pins in the connector that goes to the switch?
I suppose I'll find out tomorrow when I mess with it again. But that would mean both switches are at fault, new and old... which would be odd.

pretty bummed out right now
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Lets hope that's the case. Any updates?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I let this project slide, and the car experienced three more no-start events. Yesterday was particularly bad, so today I went to swap the switch.

However, new switch, old switch... doesn't matter. Even tried manually depressing the switch in while pressing the ignition button, but it just won't engage. The dash lights up, but I get the "clutch" warning in the center, which I think means it doesn't recognize the switch being in a closed position. What could that possibly mean? I'm wondering if the wiring is loose at the clip somehow. Suppose now I have to get out a volt meter and test the connection.

Dammit. Thoughts anyone?
One terminal of the clutch interlock switch has 12v from the battery. When the switch closes it sends the 12v to the IPDM to activate the starter control relay
See page STR-7 in the FSM
There are wiring harness connections between the IPDM, the BCM, starter motor, CPU, and ground as well as relay contacts in both the starter control relay and the starter relay.

Good luck

Telcoman
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

This is going to have to sit for a while because I'm going on vacation.

Which means it's going to bug the crap out of me when I should otherwise be enjoying myself. Damn it.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:27 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I know the feeling. I have a htpc on the home network that's trying to call out to another local ip (on a different subnet) I haven't used in over year. Everything here now is on 10.x.x.x, not 192.168.1.x. Anyways, wasted two hours trying to track down the cause. Got nowhere. I only became aware of this when the firewall logs started showing a higher number of blocks than before. At this point i said fück it. Added a rule to the firewall to just block any such attempts and not log them. Problem solved.

If you have 10 minutes and feel like crawling into a cramped space, it shouldn't be too difficult to short out the connector and try starting. You'll probably need a helper to ensure the clutch pedal is at least partially depressed, enough to open the cruise switch.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
You'll probably need a helper to ensure the clutch pedal is at least partially depressed, enough to open the cruise switch.
Wait, are you saying the cruise switch on the pedal comes into play when trying to start the car? I find that had to believe, but I'm open to anything.

I can't get out there today. It's almost 100°F and humid as fck. It's going to have to wait until the end of the week.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Rochester, when did you move to the Third Coast?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Rochester, when did you move to the Third Coast?
You're speaking in riddles, man. The only coastline near me is Lake Ontario.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Your report the same weather as I'm suffering, I thought you had moved to the Texas Gulf Coast.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:28 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wait, are you saying the cruise switch on the pedal comes into play when trying to start the car? I find that had to believe, but I'm open to anything.

I can't get out there today. It's almost 100°F and humid as fck. It's going to have to wait until the end of the week.
I don't know for sure, but I imagine it probably does. You can't have the pedal at the top and bottom at the same time, can you? Or it may start the car but throw a code of sorts? Really depends how the button logic is programmed into the ECU.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Paperclip bypass had no effect.

So one possibility is that the wire(s) became loose in the clip, making for an intermittent connection. Either the harness clip isn't receiving 12v on the one side, or the connection is severed on the other. Right? If two different Intermotor switches don't work, and a solid paperclip bypass doesn't work... I'm thinking the connection is loose. Actually, that's the only thing I can do without taking the car to the shop.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Or your paper clip doesn't conduct . Or there's some other issue elsewhere. Did you try probing for voltage between ground and either pin with the key in the run/on position (double press)?

Loose connection where... The connector for the switch leads into a wire hardness iirc.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

There's 12v going through that circuit, verified with a multimeter. So there's nothing wrong with the position switch wiring, and I'm assuming the new switch functions, if not the old switch too.

I'm thinking my starter is toast.

Quick Reply: Clutch Position Switch