Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Problems after Throttle Body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Alagator28
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Problems after Throttle Body cleaning

Hi guys,

I followed this DIY: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...le-bodies.html which is similar to the others I found online, since I have recently had the P0106 error code pop up, go away and come back again.

Since the cleaning, the car is driving badly...

Current symptoms: Starting the car (when warm or cold), it will rev to 2K initially and slowly drop to about 900 rpm after a few seconds and stay there. At a red light, it now idles around 800 RPM when it used to idle around 400-450 RPM. Putting the car into gear, it feels like it wants to move forward more than before. On the highway, going from 5% throttle to 0% throttle, you can feel a noticeable drop like the throttle is ON then OFF. Going from 0% throttle on the highway and just feathering it ever so slightly, you feel a jolt when it kicks in.

About the Throttle Body cleaning:
  • I didn't unplug any electrical wires or anything that was not indicated to unplug from the DIY.
  • I made sure that everything was re-plugged correctly. There is no problem here.
  • Immediately after cleaning both throttle bodies, I started the car to see if the check engine light would disappear, and immediately noticed the high RPM at start. I assumed it just needed to adjust.
  • I proceeded to clean the MAF sensors, no issues there, and the RPM at engine start didn't change.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan
Old 05-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Alagator28
Hi guys,

I followed this DIY: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...le-bodies.html which is similar to the others I found online, since I have recently had the P0106 error code pop up, go away and come back again.

Since the cleaning, the car is driving badly...

Current symptoms: Starting the car (when warm or cold), it will rev to 2K initially and slowly drop to about 900 rpm after a few seconds and stay there. At a red light, it now idles around 800 RPM when it used to idle around 400-450 RPM. Putting the car into gear, it feels like it wants to move forward more than before. On the highway, going from 5% throttle to 0% throttle, you can feel a noticeable drop like the throttle is ON then OFF. Going from 0% throttle on the highway and just feathering it ever so slightly, you feel a jolt when it kicks in.

About the Throttle Body cleaning:
  • I didn't unplug any electrical wires or anything that was not indicated to unplug from the DIY.
  • I made sure that everything was re-plugged correctly. There is no problem here.
  • Immediately after cleaning both throttle bodies, I started the car to see if the check engine light would disappear, and immediately noticed the high RPM at start. I assumed it just needed to adjust.
  • I proceeded to clean the MAF sensors, no issues there, and the RPM at engine start didn't change.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan
I never touched my MAF sensors, I just cleaned the throttle bodies and have had positive results, I would say it has to do with your MAF. My G's RPM's were dropping at redlights, almost to where it sounded like it was going to stall, since Ive cleaned the throttle bodies, the RPMs have been where they need to be, also got better acceleration. Hope this helps 11G37xS
Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Alagator28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
I never touched my MAF sensors, I just cleaned the throttle bodies and have had positive results, I would say it has to do with your MAF. My G's RPM's were dropping at redlights, almost to where it sounded like it was going to stall, since Ive cleaned the throttle bodies, the RPMs have been where they need to be, also got better acceleration. Hope this helps 11G37xS
Thanks. The high RPMs happened immediately after throttle body cleaning and before MAF cleaning. I only did MAF to see if it would help.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
here is an easy step-by-step procedure you might want to try:

g/l
Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I did the procedure above as well and it worked. Here is a most recent video procedure done by MotorvateDIY. The best way to do it is to just follow along with the video.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM
G37OB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your car should idle around 700-800rpms. You need to do the relearn procedure, it will take care of your problems
Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
subbed for vid
Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Alagator28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
I did the procedure above as well and it worked. Here is a most recent video procedure done by MotorvateDIY. The best way to do it is to just follow along with the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIiaF0VaTlQ
You guys are amazing, thank you! I'll try this later.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by G37OB
Your car should idle around 700-800rpms. You need to do the relearn procedure, it will take care of your problems
where did u get that info from? thats incorrect
Old 05-30-2018, 07:49 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
You guys are amazing, thank you! I'll try this later.
Make sure perform all steps correctly, in sequence and all the parameters are correct. When I cleaned mine last fall I did physically move them as they were filthy however didn't unplug anything and had the same symptoms of revving to 1500 - 2000 after start and a CEL. This process will fix the issue but you may need to do it more than once if you fail the first time.

-Eric

Parameters, i.e. preconditioning, before starting relearn sequences in videos:

1.PRECONDITIONING
Make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
• Battery voltage: More than 12.9 V (At idle)
• Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 105°C (158 - 221°F)
• PNP switch: ON (M/T models)
• Selector lever: P or N (A/T models)
• Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is
started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
• Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
• Vehicle speed: Stopped
• Transmission: Warmed-up
- A/T models
• With CONSULT-III: Drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/T” system indicates
less than 0.9 V.
• Without CONSULT-III: Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.
- M/T models
• Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:53 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^What is PNP switch above for the MT's?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Alagator28
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
Make sure perform all steps correctly, in sequence and all the parameters are correct. When I cleaned mine last fall I did physically move them as they were filthy however didn't unplug anything and had the same symptoms of revving to 1500 - 2000 after start and a CEL. This process will fix the issue but you may need to do it more than once if you fail the first time.

-Eric

Parameters, i.e. preconditioning, before starting relearn sequences in videos:

1.PRECONDITIONING
Make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
• Battery voltage: More than 12.9 V (At idle)
• Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 105°C (158 - 221°F)
• PNP switch: ON (M/T models)
• Selector lever: P or N (A/T models)
• Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is
started the headlamp will not be illuminated.
• Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
• Vehicle speed: Stopped
• Transmission: Warmed-up
- A/T models
• With CONSULT-III: Drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/T” system indicates
less than 0.9 V.
• Without CONSULT-III: Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.
- M/T models
• Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.
the video posted by KungFoo did the trick! No more issues so far and idle is steady at 600 RPM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:32 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^What is PNP switch above for the MT's?
Google indicates it's the park neutral position switch and on MT would be the switch for the clutch. I assume it means the clutch has to be out (foot off) when doing the procedure.

Ohers with MT experience please chime in.

-Eric
Old 05-30-2018, 11:32 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

the video posted by KungFoo did the trick! No more issues so far and idle is steady at 600 RPM.
Awesome!
-Eric
Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Yea when I do idle relearn I don't touch the clutch

Quick Reply: Problems after Throttle Body cleaning