Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Zspeed CSC and new master cylinder. Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Fiore7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zspeed CSC and new master cylinder. Anything else?

With sadness, I recently ran into my first bad slave on my 08 g37s. Not bad for 110k miles ? I’ve purchased my zspeed CSC and their new master cylinder along with high temp fluid. Is their anything else I’m missing to fix this problem?? Thanks from the newb.

-Fiore
Old 04-25-2018, 08:47 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
u should change the hose between the resevoir and master. if not be sure to clean it bc im pretty sure its very dirty and gunky
Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 PM
Fiore7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saywat?
u should change the hose between the resevoir and master. if not be sure to clean it bc im pretty sure its very dirty and gunky
Thank you brother!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 AM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
well i dont want to assume but since you didnt mention it, you should get a new clutch n flywheel put in so you dont have to remove the tranny again in another year.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
What AARONHL said.

If you're spending the time/money to drop everything, do the clutch/flywheel.

Use stainless steel lines.

I just recently did this:
RJM Performance Clutch Pedal Assembly w/ Heavy Duty Clevis End
RJM Performance Clutch Master Cylinder w/ SS clutch line
South Bend Stage 2 Daily Clutch & 17lb Flywheel w/ CMAK, quiet disc, SS line.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
What AARONHL said.

I should of went this set up but here I am waiting on my OS Giken.....
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (04-26-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:28 PM
joe32288
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
What AARONHL said.

He's right, it would be crazy to do all that work without replacing the clutch, unless it has been recently replaced. ZSpeed has a few good, reasonably priced clutch packages. I got the ZSpeed stage 1, which is basically just a ZSpeed branded Exedy clutch. Plan on installing it tomorrow, will post review soon. They also have a SouthBend Stage 2 kit for about $100 more. If you do order one of the kits, make sure you order the flywheel bolts (8) and pressure plate bolt kit. The bolts add an additional $80 to the cost, so make sure to factor that into your budget.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:39 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe32288
He's right, it would be crazy to do all that work without replacing the clutch, unless it has been recently replaced. ZSpeed has a few good, reasonably priced clutch packages. I got the ZSpeed stage 1, which is basically just a ZSpeed branded Exedy clutch. Plan on installing it tomorrow, will post review soon. They also have a SouthBend Stage 2 kit for about $100 more. If you do order one of the kits, make sure you order the flywheel bolts (8) and pressure plate bolt kit. The bolts add an additional $80 to the cost, so make sure to factor that into your budget.
How did your replacement go?
I recently had my slave cylinder fail and went with ZSpeed Stage 1 kit that includes everything you need, plus slave cylinder delete kit.

Independent shop that I used said my original clutch at 60k was in excellent shape, which tells you about my style of driving. I like to have a spirited run, but I shift smoothly and frankly don't race. My G37 Sedan is bone stock. Shop really liked the kit and its installation.
I'm however on a fence. Can't say that I notice much better clutch engagement over stock G37 Sedan clutch. With cylinder delete kit clutch engages a lot closer to the floor over the stock clutch. I know lower engagement is actually preferred by enthusiasts, but will take me some time to get used to. My biggest issue is with resulting shudder sound at low rpm. It's sounds like clutch slipping but more metallic. OEM dual mass flywheel offered a lot of dampening apparently. I could recover at 1k rpm with maybe a little jerkiness but otherwise a silent transmission. With ZSpeed stage 1 single mass flywheel, gears resonate under 3k rpm. I knew about it, but didn't anticipate how very unpleasant that sound is and of course now I'm paranoid about its impact on my transmission. Worth noting that shudder sound has improved over a month of city driving. We'll see, but I'm curious about other's experience with ZSpeed Stage 1 kit.

Last edited by avsBuddy; 07-22-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:54 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by avsBuddy
How did your replacement go?
I recently had my slave cylinder fail and went with ZSpeed Stage 1 kit that includes everything you need, plus slave cylinder delete kit.

Independent shop that I used said my original clutch at 60k was in excellent shape, which tells you about my style of driving. I like to have a spirited run, but I shift smoothly and frankly don't race. My G37 Sedan is bone stock. Shop really liked the kit and its installation.
I'm however on a fence. Can't say that I notice much better clutch engagement over stock G37 Sedan clutch. With cylinder delete kit clutch engages a lot closer to the floor over the stock clutch. I know lower engagement is actually preferred by enthusiasts, but will take me some time to get used to. My biggest issue is with resulting shudder sound at low rpm. It's sounds like clutch slipping but more metallic. OEM dual mass flywheel offered a lot of dampening apparently. I could recover at 1k rpm with maybe a little jerkiness but otherwise a silent transmission. With ZSpeed stage 1 single mass flywheel, gears resonate under 3k rpm. I knew about it, but didn't anticipate how very unpleasant that sound is and of course now I'm paranoid about its impact on my transmission. Worth noting that shudder sound has improved over a month of city driving. We'll see, but I'm curious about other's experience with ZSpeed Stage 1 kit.
Wow they must have not put those nuts on tight enouhg and you have one clanking down there...LOL j/k I did the same exact setup as u a lil over a year ago and mine sounds exactly as you describe, it's almost borderline annoying. Sucks that I cant roll stop signs anymore without the shutter n clanking !! I'm pretty good with engaging at low RPM but with this clutch I feel like you need to engine it around 2k to eliminate the noise
Old 07-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Make sure you bleed clutch
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

In my install shop also replaced master cylinder per ZSpeed recommendation. So clutch line has been flushed.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

I got the whole clutch flywheel kit, external slave, n master cylinder done at a shop-replaced with obviously all new fluid- I had to bleed the lines myself when I got home after driving it a lil bit, seems like they didn’t get all the air out at first
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
avsBuddy
Registered Member

What's the symptom of air bubbles in clutch line? My clutch appears to engage without issues.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by avsBuddy
What's the symptom of air bubbles in clutch line? My clutch appears to engage without issues.
Could have a few symptoms like the pedal not coming back up after u press it down, having no pedal movement, or the most common is feeling it not catching right/catching in different places every time you press the pedal