Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0021 Code - Camshaft A position timing Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:29 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
P0021 Code - Camshaft A position timing Solenoid

Hey everyone, hope someone that had that code due to the malfunctioning solenoid can chime in. Got the Check engine light with the code P0021 and as i searched the forum , you would have to change out the drivers side solenoid as it can become faulty when it clogs up. I buy the part on Amazon for $54 and attempt to replace.

I remove the reservoir coolant tank out of the way and get a 10mm socket to remove the single bolt holding the solenoid in place. I also needed a Flathead to pry it out as it was stuck in there. The issue is that there is a large radiator house directly beneath it , making it impossible to remove the solenoid. I removed it regardless and there is also another smaller diameter tube which is also making it impossible to take out the solenoid. For those that have done it before, what was the trick to getting it out? I did have some oil leaking out of the solenoid when i pulled it out and some coolant from the large hose when i disconnected it.

Also, on another side note, can anyone tell me what the part shown in the picture is called (The one with the yellow connector)? It's mounted with 3-4 bolts that seem to have broken off and is just dangling behind the radiator fans, they are small rounded bits that seem to snap in but i think they are all broken. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails P0021 Code - Camshaft A position timing Solenoid-img-9387.jpg   P0021 Code - Camshaft A position timing Solenoid-img-9388.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Can't you put grab that metal line with a pair of channel locks or pliers and tweak it out of the way to drop the solenoid?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
I actually tried to wiggle it out of the way but it was a bit too stiff and was afraid of breaking it. But could it be as simple as using pliers to move it out of the way?
Old 06-28-2018, 11:28 AM
BKLYNBodega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doublea88
I actually tried to wiggle it out of the way but it was a bit too stiff and was afraid of breaking it. But could it be as simple as using pliers to move it out of the way?
Don't pry anything. Those lines are firm and i wouldn't want to risk breaking something. Go down underneath toward the bottom of the engine bay and see those lines are attached to a bracket that is bolted with two 10mm bolts. Unscrew the bolts and it will let you slide the lines back toward the accessory belt up top giving you the clearance you need to pop in/out the solenoid. Don't forgot to put the bolts back and give it a little pressure forward to ensure that line is not rubbing on your belt when you're done.