Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2010 Engine Failure/Bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Jagerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Engine Failure/Bad

Hey G guys, don't post much, mostly just been a browser.
Wanted to just get your guys opinion on my G's engine sort of dying.

I bought a used 2010 G about 4.5 years ago and have had a pretty decent experience with the car expect for a P0300 code that kept coming back. Few weeks ago my car started driving weird and I thought it was the trans and then like last week it was driving really weird where it felt like the clutch slipped and re-engaged and then jerked the car. I tried to drive it to the shop but was unable to and just got it towed.
The shop thought it was the gallery gasket issue, but turned out to be something else were the cam gears and timing chain were damaged somehow. This all cause low oil pressure and varnishing of some components. They said it was due to bad maintenance/improper oil change intervals. They said it would be cheaper to just put a new/used engine rather replacing all the damaged components. They are quoting around 3.7k for a used engine and in total 7k to replace the engine and do the gallery gasket.

Just want to see what you guys think? Is it worth it or is there a place to get a cheaper engine. Or do you think I should just give up and get a new car?
BTW I am in the DMV area and the G is currently at Hill's Garage.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:54 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
For most of us, DMV means Department of Motor Vehicles. Can you tell us the state, at least?

Sorry you're having this trouble. Engines and transmissions are costly. The gallery gasket failure causes low oil pressure which can lead to the varnishing they saw. Most cars drop into limp mode, though, when it happens.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:39 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagerk
Hey G guys, don't post much, mostly just been a browser.
Wanted to just get your guys opinion on my G's engine sort of dying.

I bought a used 2010 G about 4.5 years ago and have had a pretty decent experience with the car expect for a P0300 code that kept coming back. Few weeks ago my car started driving weird and I thought it was the trans and then like last week it was driving really weird where it felt like the clutch slipped and re-engaged and then jerked the car. I tried to drive it to the shop but was unable to and just got it towed.
The shop thought it was the gallery gasket issue, but turned out to be something else were the cam gears and timing chain were damaged somehow. This all cause low oil pressure and varnishing of some components. They said it was due to bad maintenance/improper oil change intervals. They said it would be cheaper to just put a new/used engine rather replacing all the damaged components. They are quoting around 3.7k for a used engine and in total 7k to replace the engine and do the gallery gasket.

Just want to see what you guys think? Is it worth it or is there a place to get a cheaper engine. Or do you think I should just give up and get a new car?
BTW I am in the DMV area and the G is currently at Hill's Garage.
Time for another vehicle. If you are stuck at the Department of Motor Vehicles just take the plates off and leave it there.

Telcoman
Old 04-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Jagerk

Ahh I should have further specified. It stands for DC, Maryland, Virginia.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:27 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You could put that in your profile. Unless you dump the G and move on, then it's pointless.

You won't get much for the car with a blown engine. I'd replace with a used engine then sell the car unless you really like it.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I would get it towed home then start pulling the front end off of it to get ready for a DIY engine swap.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Jagerk

How much effort is it to do an engine swap?
I usually do all my own maintenance on the car, and feel decently handy. Never swapped an engine out before though.
Also any special tools besides an engine hoist? or anything to do with AC freon?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Just hold up your right hand, snap your fingers, and the engine swap fairy will appear.

Telcoman
Old 04-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I usually do all my own maintenance on the car, and feel decently handy. Never swapped an engine out before though.
Also any special tools besides an engine hoist? or anything to do with AC freon?
It's been done by a few people in the forum. Maybe they'll chime but, I wouldn't worry too much about the refrigerant. You'll need to do a atmospheric
recovery and then after you get everything hooked back up. Pull a vacuum on it and weigh in the charge.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Jagerk

Thanks Kb for all the info.
So I am looking for another engine now. Will all years of the G37 or 370Z motors fit into the 2010? Saw something where people said only certain years will work in the 2010?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Any 3.7 should work. Just remember to swap over your accessories from your old engine. I have an 08 g37 and put in an engine from a 2012 370z. I searched for 12 and newer becuase they have the metal timing cover gasket.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
Any 3.7 should work. Just remember to swap over your accessories from your old engine. I have an 08 g37 and put in an engine from a 2012 370z. I searched for 12 and newer becuase they have the metal timing cover gasket.
why is it important to swap over the old accessories?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
why is it important to swap over the old accessories?
Because as I understood it, some sensors were year specific. Little things. For example the impedance changed on later fuel injectors. Now in this case it didn't matter, but I had to use my old knock sensors and a few other sensors that were slightly different. I think sensors are the only reason data bases claim only certain year engines fit certain cars. Except for the G37x the engines interchange despite what the databases say. FYI the G37x can be made to work in a rwd as well, but it's a good bit of work
The following 2 users liked this post by soundkillr:
Baadnewsburr (04-05-2018), Jagerk (04-06-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
Because as I understood it, some sensors were year specific. Little things. For example the impedance changed on later fuel injectors. Now in this case it didn't matter, but I had to use my old knock sensors and a few other sensors that were slightly different. I think sensors are the only reason data bases claim only certain year engines fit certain cars. Except for the G37x the engines interchange despite what the databases say. FYI the G37x can be made to work in a rwd as well, but it's a good bit of work
thanks! thats what I sort of suspected...I was thinking maybe things like the Throttle bodies or anything that reads/measures electronically... but want sure if you were talking about things like the the ac or ps pump ....I think if I remember correctly everything from the upper-lower pan down has to change on the awd too...at my G's high mileage I'm keeping my eyes open in case i have to do one myself this is very helpful...
Old 04-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Jagerk

Thanks soundkillr for the information. Going to be going to a fairly local salvage yard to take a look at an engine tomorrow. Also been looking at Autogator.com for one.
Just curious where did you get your engine from? Do you guys trust online sellers?

Quick Reply: 2010 Engine Failure/Bad