Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G3RSTY7 Air-Air Supercharger Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
G3RSTY7 Air-Air Supercharger Build

Hey all, I've been mostly active on the 370Z although as a G37 owner maybe my build will be more relevant over here. And if you haven't been following along with the progress of improvements with forced induction options to us (AAM TT and Stillen options have come a long way), feel free to get educated at least on the supercharger portion. Read or click through the links all you want. And please chime in on suggestions or disagreements.
Topgunz Air-Air supercharger kit. Went to Minnesota myself to pick up the kit (and see family and friends, I guess...)

So here's what I have going on. You may or may not have been considering the Stillen supercharger kit. It's great to have as an option, but there's always some issues. For one, Stillen got California CARB approval with their canned tune, which is garbage (but legal in California at least). That's issue number one. Second and probably biggest issue is MAF sensor placement on the Stillen kit. MAF was placed before the blower (correct me if I'm wrong) so it had it's readings that didn't account for heat soak in the intercooler, and any changes from blower which can also be dangerous for the motor. This new design places the MAF's on the charge pipe (and comes with the MAF extension cables). The water intercooler was an issue with the Stillen causing heat soak issues for big power as well, so some would opt to upgrade to the frozenboost heat exchanger, or the other option that came up was Topgunz originally came out with the air-air intercooler (with the charge pipe with relocated MAF, etc). This option was available for current stillen owners and came at a cost of $1500.
Topgunz - air to air upgrade - Nissan 370Z Forum

Originally I had picked up a used blower and was going to send it to 928 for the SuperVortech upgrade (upgrading the SCi impeller for Si impeller yielding ~15% more air), and the SuperVortech also comes with upgraded ceramic bearings so you can use a smaller puller and spin the blower at higher RPM's. I started talking to Aaron (Topgunz) at that point as I wanted to pair the upgraded blower with his intercooler, and order the rest of the parts from Stillen. Easier said than done--Stillen had no interest selling Joe Dirt the manifold, brackets and hardware to make their own kit. Somehow, Aaron met the right person who would allow him to order the parts in bulk. So here we are, we have a fully improved supercharger kit for $6,000. It comes with the V3 Si impeller (an upgrade from the Stillen SCi blower), however the bearings remain the same and are not upgraded to the ceramics. I will be starting off using the standard 3" 8PSI pulley (which with the upgraded impeller should be giving me a bit more than 9PSI anyways).
Topgunz full supercharger kits!! - Nissan 370Z Forum

I currently have on order 1050x injectors (ordered from Aaron for $675), and it seems I will be the first G37 using the Fast Intentions 34 row oil cooler. It is listed as being for the 370Z only although it really should work considering I have a 6 speed manual coupe very similar to the 370Z. One guy at FI said it will work on G37, other brand oil coolers I've noticed seem interchangeable between 370Z and the G37 coupe but the guy over the phone who took my order made me agree that it is not guaranteed to fit since it has not been tested on a G37. So watch for that if you're interested as I did try to see if anybody had done it on a G37 but could find no instances for myself.

So at this point...I'm fully in it. Work is slow, crypto/bitcoin is down, so spending more money on a build isn't first nature at this point but I'm thinking I may also do return fuel system with the Walbro 450 and tune for flex fuel/e85. Just may have to sell a GSXR for more racecar money.

Oil cooler is expected around 4/20, so that's about when I'm hoping to start really making some moves. On the car currently are the cooler NGK GTR spark plugs (DILKAR8A8) designed for boosted motors, FI resonated test pipes (since boost is known to blow out the catalyst), and a Nismo 1.5way differential as well as a DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. Currently working out the issue with high speed vibration on the DS, hopefully I can find a good shop that may just find the diff has been shimmed improperly. I had FI RHFC's on the car that I could sell although I loved the sound so might keep them around, I will be welding in resonators along the exhaust as I can't stand the rasp and I'm amazed wife hasn't made a fuss about it.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 03-27-2018 at 12:28 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RickyBobby:
ANMVQ (05-18-2018), G37xMN (02-08-2020), jpowersjr2 (04-26-2018), Nycstilleng37s (08-21-2019)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:52 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I think I'll just hangout a bit to see how this turns out.........
Old 03-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Subd. I have a 1piece aluminum DS with no high speed vibration. I’ve had it at the top of 5th. Haven’t driven my car lately due to the notorious CSC failure but if you’re interested i can give you the contact info of the local shop I went through.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
In for the updates. Great! Good luck! Your right, there is some cool stuff going down over there. I've been following the progress of FI for our cars for a couple of years now and it seems like it's getting dialed in for s/c which is the only current option for awd. Aarons kit and speed density tuning are the key areas of making it work properly.

Last edited by Invaderzim; 03-27-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Джон
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this topgunz A2A Stillen setup too Just getting my car in order
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
I so want this kit, maybe next year. in for updates
Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Here’s where I’m at. I have everything but the return fuel system which I’ll need to pump all that E85. The roadblock I’m currently at is I couldn’t just order it last week over the phone since because I have an early model G37, I may have either the 350/G35 fuel housing or 370z. I have to access the fuel pump housing first to check before I can make my order with CJM. My goal is to have this on and tuned within the next 2-3 weeks so by the second week of May.
Spent some time with a 370z owner who was re-installing his kit that he had to take off for emissions. He was really helpful and helped me get my rough mock-up of the kit done and explained and showed me where I will need to cut holes etc. I helped him with maybe 2 small tasks otherwise I probably took up more of his time but provided moral support. I was getting excited for him as he got his put back on
Rough mock-up in the living room. Hopefully my wife doesn’t start to get curious how much I’ve spent. I’ll just tell her 40 litecoins and she can figure it out herself
Old 04-23-2018, 02:50 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Got to the fuel pump housing; I need the 370z fuel fystem with a longer feed line for the G coupe. Order is placed, hope it's not a huge wait

Last edited by RickyBobby; 04-23-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:22 PM
J99k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subd this is going to be the option for me it seems. Boosted for <10K
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeeesssssss.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
DSS d/s

may want to consider dynamic balancing the d/s. Sub’d.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:58 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bravo at
may want to consider dynamic balancing the d/s. Sub’d.
yea i will take it to get checked. Vibration has gotten slightly better though but still a concern for a high speed car.
placed my order with CJM a few days ago so I’m on the waiting game with the return fuel system. No word when it will arrive but I’ll spend the time being putting on the intercooler and cutting holes for piping. The longer I spend messing with the kit and fuel system the more confidence I’ll have to just do it all myself
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

It’s coming along. Fast intentions 370z oil cooler fit like a glove. Ecutek base tune is flashed on (lost my old uprev tune and license in the process) so guess i’m boosted forever! Just finishing up fuel system

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyBobby:
ANMVQ (05-18-2018), jpowersjr2 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:58 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
really nice man, will be hopefully doing this next year to my Q50. You'll be VERY happy with this kit
Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
really nice man, will be hopefully doing this next year to my Q50. You'll be VERY happy with this kit
thanks yep I’m following a guy on IG who has a Q50 SC build—it sounds nasty! He has great resonation in his exhaust I’ll be eorking on that next (and new clutch). I realize SC isn’t fastest I just hate turbo lag I want that power right there on a downshift. So many options available on the VQ..

Quick Reply: G3RSTY7 Air-Air Supercharger Build