Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Crank pulley out of balance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Crank pulley out of balance.

So I revved the car the other day to redline and afterwards heard a weird noise. It was as if something was out of balance. I didn’t think anything of it as it’s been driving fairly normal since and no noise. I was fixing a fog light when I noticed oil collected in the center of the undertray. I removed the tray and found that the seal behind the pulley was wet with oil and oil was sprayed against the front cover and the sway bar and other components. I started the car to see if I could see it spraying from behind there. I noticed the pulley wobbling out of balance right away. Not terribly but enough to cause the pulley to cause a small leak with the seal. When I swapped the motor a couple years ago, I want to say I was able to torque the bolt on the pulley to spec but maybe not? It’s down almost to low on the stick in a couple days of it happening.

Any chance it’s the crank itself wobbling and not the pulley? I want to take it to the dealer at this point but also don’t want to get raped. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
You swapped the motor but now you need a dealer?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:46 PM
35Sport

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
You swapped the motor but now you need a dealer?
There’s a special tool you can’t buy that the dealer has. It stops the flywheel from moving so you can torque the bolt on the pulley. If that’s all that needs to be done I’m golden.

I’m more concerned I ruined the motor.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 35Sport
There’s a special tool you can’t buy that the dealer has. It stops the flywheel from moving so you can torque the bolt on the pulley. If that’s all that needs to be done I’m golden.

I’m more concerned I ruined the motor.
Ahh. I gotcha. I see. Im praying it wasnt torqed proper. But it would seem if its wobbling its super loose and not safe to drive or its warped. Either way keep us updated man.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 PM
35Sport

Ahh. I gotcha. I see. Im praying it wasnt torqed proper. But it would seem if its wobbling its super loose and not safe to drive or its warped. Either way keep us updated man.
Yeah it’s staying parked until I get it to the dealer. I’m going to call tomorrow. Thanks though
Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM
35Sport

So they're quoting me 2 hours of labor at $150 each and potentially a new pulley. They said that the rubber can wear off the pulley and throw it out of balance. The new pulley is $320 dollars
Old 10-30-2017, 01:19 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

So they're quoting me 2 hours of labor at $150 each and potentially a new pulley. They said that the rubber can wear off the pulley and throw it out of balance. The new pulley is $320 dollars
Buy the tool a tq wrench and lightweight pulley and spend less.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM
35Sport

Buy the tool a tq wrench and lightweight pulley and spend less.
If I could buy the tool I would do it myself, however when I was doing my swap I searched high and low for it and ended up calling to see if I could buy it from Nissan. Of course you can't, so I was forced to use a tool I created to stop the pulley from moving. Apparently that didn't resolve the issue. If they need to replace the pulley I will buy the AMS lightweight unit instead of an OEM one. That way I'm out $500 and not $700
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

If I could buy the tool I would do it myself, however when I was doing my swap I searched high and low for it and ended up calling to see if I could buy it from Nissan. Of course you can't, so I was forced to use a tool I created to stop the pulley from moving. Apparently that didn't resolve the issue. If they need to replace the pulley I will buy the AMS lightweight unit instead of an OEM one. That way I'm out $500 and not $700
Check the my350z and the370z forums im sure someone has one to loan or sell. But that sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:32 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
So...... a tool like this wouldn't work??????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-4754-Un...ZXJ-In&vxp=mtr
Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 PM
35Sport

No because the keyway isn’t in place for the pulley to push against while I’m undoing the center bolt. The flywheel needs to be stopped.

Originally Posted by The Pope
So...... a tool like this wouldn't work??????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-4754-Un...ZXJ-In&vxp=mtr
Old 11-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Get creative, put a long torque wrench or lug wrench between the U-Joint of your driveshaft and the ground and you'll be golden. You can definitely buy the tool, the dealerships dont manufacture this tool you're after, they buy it, just like you can do.