Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Replacing my starter

Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 PM
Dillons VQ37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing my starter

Hello,
I have a G37S coupe and my starter has went out. I have removed the starter from its slot and now it's stuck in its spot. I have already unscrewed all the bolts and inplugged all the wires. But my question now to you all is how I'm the world so I wiggle the little thing out of the small amount of space I am given. If someone has had to deal with this or something similar please help!!
-Thank you!!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:32 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
try removing the lt side motor mount bolt on the bottom of the subframe and jacking up the engine.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:35 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Dillons VQ37
Hello,
I have a G37S coupe and my starter has went out. I have removed the starter from its slot and now it's stuck in its spot. I have already unscrewed all the bolts and inplugged all the wires. But my question now to you all is how I'm the world so I wiggle the little thing out of the small amount of space I am given. If someone has had to deal with this or something similar please help!!
-Thank you!!
Have you checked and followed the FSM?

Search is your friend!

Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club

See page STR 16

Removal and Installation
INFOID:0000000007470383
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the battery cable from the negative terminal.
2. Remove engine undercover, using power tools.
3. Remove road wheel and tire (Front LH), using power tools.
4. Disconnect steering lower joint (1), then remove it. Refer to ST-25, "
WITHOUT 4WAS : Exploded View
"
(Without 4WAS) or ST-26, "
WITH 4WAS : Exploded View
"
(With 4WAS).
5. Remove engine mounting insulator (LH) mounting nut (Lower).
Refer to EM-69, "
2WD : Exploded View
"
6. Jack up the engine front side to create clearance for removing
starter motor.
7. Remove “B” terminal nut (A

Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club

REMOVAL
1. Set vehicle to the straight-ahead position.
2. Fix the steering wheel.
3. Remove lower joint fixing bolt (steering gear side).
4. Separate the lower joint from the steering gear assembly by slid-
ing the slide shaft (A: sliding range).CAUTION:
• Spiral cable may be cut if steering wheel turns while separating steering column
assembly and steering gear
assembly. Be sure to secure steering wheel using string
to avoid turning.
• When removing lower joint,never insert a tool, such as a
screwdriver, into the yoke groove to pull out the lower
joint. In case of the violation of the above, replace lowerjoint with a new one.
5. Remove the accelerator pedal bracket and lever assembly.
Refer toACC-3, "
Exploded View
"
6. Remove the side brake wire clamp stay. (A/T models)
7. Remove the hole cover mounting nuts.
8. Remove the upper joint fixing bolt and nut (lower shaft side).CAUTION:When removing upper joint, never insert a tool,
such as a screwdriver, into the yoke groove to pull
out the upper joint. In case ofthe violation of the above, replace upper joint with a new one.
9. Remove the lower shaft and hole cover.

Have fun

Telcoman
Old 09-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Dillons VQ37
Registered Member

Help

I removed the starter and that didn't change that my car didn't power the ignition up. What else could it be. The starter and batter are both working properly. Battery giving 12V and starter turns on and all. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2017, 01:26 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
I removed the starter and that didn't change that my car didn't power the ignition up. What else could it be. The starter and batter are both working properly. Battery giving 12V and starter turns on and all. Any suggestions?
so you jumped the gun and replaced the starter. well does the vehicle even crank? or does it not even send the starter signal from the ignition switch? check for starter signal if the car does not crank. if you don't get the starter signal at the starter solenoid then you need to trace the problem back to the ignition switch. did you do any splicing or tapping for voltage to install aftermarket components lately which you may have inadvertently robbed the starter signal? is it a manual? if so check neutral safety switch.

Last edited by crookncastle; 09-03-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Sorry pal, I have to tell you your logic and troubleshooting skills are lacking.
First you tell us you have a bad starter and are unable to remove it.
Now you tell us your battery is good, and the starter cranks your engine but doesn't start.

As I mentioned in a previous post.
Follow the FSM
If the engine cranks but doesn't start did you check for spark?
Do you have fuel in the tank?
Have you checked for fuel pump pressure.
It's not rocket science

Air
Fuel
Spark

Grab your multimeter and get back to work

Or call AAA and have it towed to the nearest Infiniti dealer
And by the way did you purchase a flood vehicle?
500,000 flooded vehicles just from Hurricane Sandy 5 years ago and another estimated 500,000 flood vehicles in Houston, Texas
Many looking for cheap vehicles buy these up and learn what insurance companies and other professions already know.
GET RID OF THEM CHEAP

Telcoman
Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Dillons VQ37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
so you jumped the gun and replaced the starter. well does the vehicle even crank? or does it not even send the starter signal from the ignition switch? check for starter signal if the car does not crank. if you don't get the starter signal at the starter solenoid then you need to trace the problem back to the ignition switch. did you do any splicing or tapping for voltage to install aftermarket components lately which you may have inadvertently robbed the starter signal? is it a manual? if so check neutral safety switch.

its a 08 g37s automatic, I haven't done anything aftermarket yet. When I hit my push button you can the the little lever in the solenoid flip. But the starter just doesn't spin or I guess you could say spark. It's almost like my solenoid works, but the starter just doesn't spark
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Dillons VQ37
Registered Member

I'm sorry, this is my second car, first was a jeep that had absolutely no problems. I filled up with a full tank 2 days before this happened and hadn't driven anywhere. But I the day before that I was driving and still have about 3-4 gallons in my tank and my car died and wouldn't start back up until I put about 2 gallons of gas from a gas jug and then made it to the gas station to fill up. Makes me feel like a bad fuel pump or something. But I'm not sure. I don't know much about car stuff like this in general. That why I got a car
Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Buy some starting fluid and spray it into the throttle body. If it starts most likely it's the fuel pump or something related. But, if its not cranking you can't condemn the fuel pump.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Dillons VQ37
Registered Member

Went ahead and bought a new starter. Fixed the problem. Don't rely on autozone or OReillys testing of batteries or starter or anything of the sort. They told me that both were working fine which wasn't the case.

Search this Thread