Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Would a custom tune be worth it?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 PM
rgs3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would a custom tune be worth it?

I am bringing rejuvenated life to my G and im falling in love all over again.
I am trying to squeeze some more power out of her, maybe 20 or so HP and not sure if a custom tune would help. Shes a 2008 Sport Coupe. I have the following mods.
  • K&N Air Intake kit
  • Motordyne M370 Intake manifold
  • Magnaflow cat back
  • Ark Test Pipes (Currently back off and stock cats back on due to raspiness, not sure if ill leave off or not)

Would any more bolt ons make sense? Or a custom tune? I keep hearing people talk about tune, but normally they are boosted. Not sure if anyone can also take benefit. Also, a few years ago there was a tuner box (i forget the name) or something that we could get for our cars and you could remap fuel and such.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by rgs3; 07-06-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
It would def be worth it for you to get a tune. Depending on what year G you have you can either go for uprev tune or ecutek. I suggest you put your test pipes back on because that's I'll will make the tune worth it plus your intake manifold will help with numbers as well. As far as Intake If you have short ram intake it probably won't benefit much so a full cold air intake will probably be a good option. Do you have kn drop ins or actual short ram Intakes?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
get a cold air intake and then a tune. If the test pipes are too raspy then get resonated high flow cats?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM
rgs3

Yeah maybe some HFC...i hear those rasp as well though and still limit air flow so not as good as TP. I've already bought 2 different sets of TP's, i really hoped the Art ones eliminated the rasp, but no, just a little bit less. I don't want to buy another set and be unhappy with the sound. I also go through cycles where I put the TP back on..like it for a year or two..then take them off and LOVE the new lower non-raspy rumble the magnaflow makes with the stock cats in conjunction with the growl up front with the intake situation..its a heavenly combo.
Would getting another exhaust fix the rasp with ART TP? My magnaflows are 5-6 years old already. Or should I try some HFC? Any new good ones out? I really dont think I can live with any rasp at all..im too old for this ricey sounding **** lol.. it can be loud, but it has to sound good and crisp, not rattling hissing noises like a civic would make . Also highway drone is something to consider.

Also, I have the short tubes, its not CAI down in the bumper, but does have the heat guards.

What is the expected HP gain from an uprev with tune? Do you NEED the uprev for a tune? Whats the function of the uprev?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

It's probably your exhaust, I don't really see people with the magnaflow exhaust
Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM
rgs3

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
It's probably your exhaust, I don't really see people with the magnaflow exhaust
Yeah maybe I consider swapping that out.. You have any rasp with yours? I see you have RHFC (i used to own) with the FI.
Damn son..i see you have the airlift...now I want that! Is it worth it? I have springs, but was going to do coilovers, but then saw they make the airlift sweet jesus that looks awesome..I really want air suspension.. My immediate list to-do is 4.08 gears and maybe the airlift suspension. I think im going to hold off on the tune until after those 2.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

I like my air suspension it's very convenient, I can go as low as I want and raise it up so I can go up my steep driveway at home.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:27 PM
rgs3

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I like my air suspension it's very convenient, I can go as low as I want and raise it up so I can go up my steep driveway at home.
How much did that cost installed? Can I program a 3 button rocker switch for 3 different ride height profiles?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rgs3
How much did that cost installed? Can I program a 3 button rocker switch for 3 different ride height profiles?
with installation $4500. I don't know what a rocker switch is do you mean the air management? If you get the 3p it comes with a controller that you can also control with your iphone via Bluetooth.
It has 5 presets that you can set at whatever you like high,ride height, show stance etc...

Old 07-07-2017, 03:32 PM
rgs3

The switch is just a black rocker switch that matches my seat warmer switches. I have a blank I wanted to use and have it control 3 preset heights.
Damn thats sweet though. A lot more than I thought it was going to be lol..i think maybe some Tein CO are in my near future until I can save a bit or sell a kidney or something

Search this Thread