Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Automatic Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Well got my G back. The dealership was not able to replicate the hard downshifting. However, they did download and install an updated software for the transmission and flushed the system with another 14 quarts of Matic S again.

Since picking up my G, I have driven it about 80 miles in various speeds and slow downs. No hard downshifts were observed. Even did the shifting manually in DS mode and so far every gear has shifted very smoothly. One thing I did notice was that my 3rd gear pulls a little bit harder than before and I am not sure how that happened though. It felt like a sudden burst of power came to life when the gear shifts to 3rd and at around 40 mph.

Will keep you guys updated and see how things go.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Could be the updated software, glad the dealer is at least taking care of this for you.
Should also see a bit smoother downshifts.
The following users liked this post:
G37xS-Life (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Could be the updated software, glad the dealer is at least taking care of this for you.
Should also see a bit smoother downshifts.
Yes, I am glad the dealer is taking this issue seriously and acting very responsibly. I did bring a printout of my email showing that I specifically asked for a 3x drain and fill prior to bringing my G in for a transmission fluid change. I also mentioned that I verbally emphasized that 3x drain and fill was something I want to have done and not the power flush that was actually carried out.

In terms of smoother downshifts, I did not notice it while the G was in "D" mode. However, when I switched to "DS" mode, the automatic downshifting that occurs when speed decreases were noticeably smoother.

I am hoping the hard downshifts and the thump/clunk sound experienced from before is just a one-time thing. It was very startling and jarring when it happened last week.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Did you check your trans mounts
Old 06-16-2017, 06:06 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Did you check your trans mounts

The dealer did and said there were no problems there.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
So I have this problem too on my 7AT.

Got the update from dealer, which seemed to make the issue less frequent (it was already infrequent though).

Got my mechanic to do a transmission flush. Pretty sure they didn't use machine because I don't think the shop has machine.

I still notice the issue. Usually in 4th gear.

At this point, I'm thinking it's just the transmission getting old. Car has 80K miles. I bought it from Infiniti at 55 and can't be sure how it was taken care of before.