Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Anybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Anybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?

I wanted a dual catch can set and I've been researching for a bit. I know it's not necessary for these motors but after factoring in a tune and my plans for roadcourse tracking the car I thought that it wouldn't hurt. Regardless, the car will still have blow by so thought it'd be beneficial to me. While searching for vids on how and where to place the catch cans I came across a tutorial for EPS Tuning's PCV Delete Kit for a 370Z. Watched and thought I should check them out because it would eliminate the need for catch cans altogether and save me some money. I read somewhere on here that there was a concern about misting in the engine bay. I asked them about it and said there were no issues with that so I'll hold them to their word. I went ahead and bought a set of their G37 kit. Here's some pics. I haven't put serious miles on it yet so let's see how it goes. Anybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?-photo408.jpgAnybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?-photo655.jpgAnybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?-photo956.jpgAnybody else every tried PCV Delete Kit?-photo74.jpg
Old 04-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I doubt there's been much review here, go checkout the Z boards. Many of the NA guys say they work great and clean up the engine bay clutter pretty nicely.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:13 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Please go drive hard af. Report back stat on misting or dumping!!
Looks like a cool mod!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:20 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Please go drive hard af. Report back stat on misting or dumping!!
Looks like a cool mod!
Will do sir
Old 04-13-2017, 01:20 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
I doubt there's been much review here, go checkout the Z boards. Many of the NA guys say they work great and clean up the engine bay clutter pretty nicely.
I'll check it out
Old 04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
All_the_Poniez

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great, that's for sure
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
I've done this on past cars both na and supercharged. After 3k miles it collected maybe 3 oz
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
I've done this on past cars both na and supercharged. After 3k miles it collected maybe 3 oz
So it's misted the engine bay?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
No it stayed in the air/oil separator. I made my own using separator for air tools
Old 04-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Nice keep us posted. I have catch cans, they def catch some oil.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
These are pretty useless for an NA stock motor car. If blow by is that bad it's time for a rebuild anyway. Typically catch can setups are more for boosted applications. Even on my 400whp big turbo Mazdaspeed I barely caught anything and that was a negative pressure system designed to actually catch more blow by.

And to add to this, our motor is port injected which allows the injectors to clean the intake track anyway. DI motors benefit much more from a catch can setup.

Last edited by 4doorfury; 04-15-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
So if one wanted to just clean up the bay deleting pcv system wouldnt mist at all NA?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:36 PM
4doorfury

You guys are going to damage the motor by deleting the pcv. It is designed to release crank case pressure so the underside of the piston has less pressure build up. It keeps your rings healthy. Please do not delete it. If you do anything you will want to put a seal in line catch can. eBay addw1 catch can and look at the one without the vent. You would technically need 2. Otherwise, please do not delete the system without realizing first what it is intended to do.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:15 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4doorfury
You guys are going to damage the motor by deleting the pcv. It is designed to release crank case pressure so the underside of the piston has less pressure build up. It keeps your rings healthy. Please do not delete it. If you do anything you will want to put a seal in line catch can. eBay addw1 catch can and look at the one without the vent. You would technically need 2. Otherwise, please do not delete the system without realizing first what it is intended to do.
A quote from EPS Tuning after asking if there were mechanical issues occurring because of the PCV Delete:

"No. None at all whatsoever. The pcv system doesnt play a large roll in the function of the rest of the engine. If uve had someone tell u that the pcv system helps the rings seal, then they just read that somewhere on the internet and are incorrect. The pcv system does not help the rings seal by providing vacuum to the crankcase. You have to draw a vacuum on the crankcase, with a massive racing vacuum pump, in order to do that. There is a lot of misinformation with regards to the function of pcv systems in the vq community. If you need me to clear any of it up for you, then i will. What the pcv delete CAN do is reveal other mechanical issues relative to ring seal. On a really healthy engine, the pcv delete will not mist unless at wot. This is how our red car behaves. U only see it on the dyno. If the pcv delete mists constantly when installed, and even more so at wot, then the engines rings/walls are worn excessively... That pre-existing damage will increase oil consumption through the rings and the pcv system alike, as well as make the engine more likely to have leaky seals."

After copying what you have posted on this thread and sent to them, this is their reply:

"This is exactly what we're talking about. This person obviously does not truly understand the dynamics and how the PCV system actually works and is regurgitating things they have read online or heard someone say.
The open PCV delete lets the crankcase breath and does not allow it to build up pressure. This person may be referring to someone capping off or sealing the crankcase which is not what our kit does."

Last edited by xmajd92; 04-17-2017 at 06:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (07-18-2022)
Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 AM
4doorfury

I am glad you reached out to them for their input. Now, if could be so kind, please reach back out to them and ask them who their engineer is as well as license number and state licensed. If this is a product you can trust, it will have a licensed engineer standing behind it.

I gathered my information out of a Haynes manual many years back regarding 2 separate cars as well as a few engineers who designed oil catch systems for race cars and factory cars such as the Mazdaspeed platform.