Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Cannot start car

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Hani504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot start car

Hi All,

I am experiencing a very weird issue with my 2009 G37x, the car was sitting for 12 days while on travel, when I came back the car drove fine for two days and then on the third day when I got to my destination, the car wouldn't turn off even after repeatedly pushing the buttons, all the lights on the dash were on (check engine, abs, etc...). Then it magically turned off, I drove it home and parked it in the garage . I went to start it yesterday and nothing will happen. The red light with the key icon is on the dash but nothing else. The steering wheel is locked and I don't get the notification that the key is in it's slot. The fob does lock and unlock​ the car fine...I tried the trick with tapping the column lock and disconnected the battery with no luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
There can be 2 possible causes for this:
1. Damaged steering lock unit.
2. Damaged BCM module, usually caused by water leak on the passenger footwell.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Hani504

Thanks Elco, could it be the steering lock unit even though the steering wheel is locked, I also don't get any indication when the fob is inserted like shown on some of the YouTube videos

What is the BCM module and what is the cost of repair?

Thanks again for the help

Hani
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It's easy to replace but you need dealer tool to reprogram
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Hani504

Thanks for all the replays, this morning the car magically started on it's own, as I come to think about it, we had flood warnings in the days prior to the issue occuring, could it be that the BCM got water and now dried off and worked. I took the car to Advanced and said battery is good. Just wondering how reliable the car is now and if it will refuse to start when I am over an hour away from home at work....
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Better to get the car checked for errors to find out exactly what was the problem.
The overall reliability of the car is good but if you got a wet BCM you should solve the problem.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Hani504

Agreed, do you think my theory is valid though that it could happen? Also what would be the typical cost for a BCM replacement at the dealership?