Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Over Sensitive VDC / Slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 AM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
Over Sensitive VDC / Slip

Hey all I've ran into a problem thats killing me and the fun i have with the car.

My 6mt g37s sedan keeps locking up brakes to keep the car in check waayyy to much. I cant drive the car 1/4 of how i used to or the VDC will kick in. Not sure what to do..

Prior to this (note VDC worked fine) my brake fluid was little low and with hard acceleration the brake light would come on and if i stayed accelerating the slip light would come on and stay on. i have since added some nissan dot3 to the reservoir. then stated to notice the overactive VDC..

i left the battery disconnected for over 24hrs but nothing changed, i have a friend that did sat to leave the -ve terminal touching the cars body to drain the computers so will try that this weekend.

my G is no longer fun to drive
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
What kind/size tires?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 AM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
What kind/size tires?

same i've always had, eagle sport all season 245/40/19 255/35/19
RWD
Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ToXIc
same i've always had, eagle sport all season 245/40/19 255/35/19
RWD
IMO your tires are the weak link.

I actually find the VDC relatively unobtrusive. I think your modified suspension exceeds your tires capability.

Have you checked inflation/wear?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:15 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
When you say "keeps locking up brakes" I assume you mean VDC is engaging and the wheel is not "locked"

What happens when you have VDC off?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Just a thought, but it could be that your rear brake pads need changing. the VDC applies them in its operation and if they are out of tolerance the system may disable. This happened to me years ago the very first time I had to change my brake pads on my G

Another reason that i suspect its the brake pads is that having to add brake fluid without a leak in the system is usually due to the pads being thin enough the pistons in the calipers are sitting a bit farther out creating more room in the hydraulic system.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
When you say "keeps locking up brakes" I assume you mean VDC is engaging and the wheel is not "locked"

What happens when you have VDC off?
correct, sorry for using locked up.

i honestly havent tried of having VDC off. Ive gotten luck while having VDC off and have kept it on unless i know for sure i have room for correction,

Originally Posted by Hashim
Just a thought, but it could be that your rear brake pads need changing. the VDC applies them in its operation and if they are out of tolerance the system may disable. This happened to me years ago the very first time I had to change my brake pads on my G

Another reason that i suspect its the brake pads is that having to add brake fluid without a leak in the system is usually due to the pads being thin enough the pistons in the calipers are sitting a bit farther out creating more room in the hydraulic system.
i believe you may be onto something, back when i was looking for a reason for the brake light to come on then slip was that the rear pads are low. they still have some life in them but i guess i'll get another set and swap them out and see if the VDC is still over sensitive.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM
ToXIc
Registered Member

Ok swapped out the rears, it still had some meet but willing to try a new set to get my car back. Didn't have time to look at the fronts let's see what happens in the coming week.
Attached Thumbnails Over Sensitive VDC / Slip-photo73.jpg  
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
My rear end slid slightly in the rain, about the same time, the traction light went off. It is pretty hard to get the traction light to go off. I know when I got the Continental DWS on my old car, the traction light went off much more than I had ever before. Mostly because they were new and the soft sidewalls. You might have some suspension item that is going bad as well.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
When you say "go off", do you mean the light illuminates, as in DSC is activating?