Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help VDC Off and Slip lights come on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Marcasummers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC Off and Slip lights come on while driving

08 G37s Coupe. This has been happening for over a month and it happens 95% of the time when I drive. The VDC off and slip lights come on and I automatically lose power to my vehicle. I have to pull over and wait a few minutes with the vehicle off for the lights to turn off. Sometimes they come on as soon as I start my car, other times it's in the middle of driving. It happens at all speeds. Brake fluid level is normal, brake pads are good, and rotors are good. My tires are brand new. Is it possible that it can be the transmission causing this? I had a diagnostic done and they said I am having transmission issues. If anyone has experienced the same issue and it wasn't the brakes or brake system, how did you solve it? Thank you
Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
What are your tire sizes?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
What exactly did they say are the transmission issues you're having?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
NoahZ
Premier Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This happens to me every once in a while but I have never experienced power lose. I just get the warning beep and the warning lights (SLIP, VDC, 4WAS) come on but I can continue driving without any issues. Might be because mine is a manual? I haven't bothered to get it looked at because it happens so rarely and doesn't effect the drive-ability. My roommate is a mechanic and he thinks its probably something as simple as a ABS sensor going bad. He's a Master Dodge Tech and my Infiniti is the only one he has worked on so take his advice for what it is. Maybe check there?
Hope it's something that simple because power lose while driving sounds scary! Good luck.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Marcasummers

Tire sizes:

r19 225 and r19 245 - which is standard.

The issues are as follows:

Code P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit (I replaced both Mass Air Flow Sensors less than a year ago)

Code P0130 - 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

Transmission Issues:

Code P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

Code P0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio

Does anyone think these lights can be caused by bad 02 Sensors and I should replace all of them?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcasummers
Tire sizes:

r19 225 and r19 245 - which is standard.

The issues are as follows:

Code P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit (I replaced both Mass Air Flow Sensors less than a year ago)

Code P0130 - 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

Transmission Issues:

Code P0732 - Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

Code P0735 - Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio

Does anyone think these lights can be caused by bad 02 Sensors and I should replace all of them?
Hi, Sorry I asked about the tire sizes as I misread your post (My bad)...for some reason I thought you had an AWD....

The first two codes could definitely be from the 02 Sensors but the second two aren't likely to be. The O2 Sensors could be failing, the MAF coudl be improperly installed (backwards) or it could be a vacuum leak somewhere (check your hoses).

The MAF sensors could just be dirty too.

The transmission issue/codes sound unrelated but maybe someone else on here has a more informed opinion on this than me....

Good news is that you have an RE505A tranny. If worse comes to worse these are quite ubiquitous and easy to find second hand for not a lot of money if you need a replacement and they are relatively easy to access
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same car with 5AT. I was popping a P0735 code and I was told this was internal to the transmission. I also hate noticed a lot of slipping going into 5th and some other erratic shifting from time to time. I had the transmission rebuilt by Level 10 in NJ a couple months ago. I was still having P0735 codes once in a while and thought I may have a TCM issue, which is on the valve body. The valve body had been modified also by Level 10 as part of their Bullet Proof transmission package. I had originally had my car tuned with UpRev by SpecialtyZ but switched to EcuTek because Sebastian said it gave him more control over the tune.

Since the P0735 continued even after the rebuild I decided to switch back to UpRev. I had also been dealing with hesitation when downshifting under hard acceleration, but this was not all the time. I am currently on the UpRev tune once again and so far it seems to have eliminated the shifting issues. In my case, my transmission was in fact bad (severely worn clutch packs and torque converter was coming apart) so the Level 10 rebuild was well worth it. Since you are popping two gear incorrect ratios, you may have to rebuild the transmission. Buying a used transmission is always risky but it can definitely save you $$ if it holds up.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Marcasummers

Thanks man. I'm replacing all the sensors that are being called out by the test and if that doesn't fix it, I'm going to order a used transmission with low mileage and have it replaced
Old 07-15-2017, 11:43 PM
Barely_Lucid
Registered Member

Ignore everyone else

your brake pads are wearing so you are a little low on brake fluid. You can add fluid or just change the pads. i bet the lights are coming on when you are on a steep incline.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
My guess is a failing ABS sensor
Old 07-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Marcasummers

Originally Posted by Victory
My guess is a failing ABS sensor
It was my MAF sensors and also a O2 sensor
Old 07-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcasummers
It was my MAF sensors and also a O2 sensor
i have no idea how that causes an issue with the traction control, but im glad you figured it out
Old 07-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Marcasummers

From my understanding, bad MAF sensors cause the vehicle to go into "safe mode" aka "limp mode" to prevent engine damage. When in safe mode, it will show traction control and other lights because the traction control has actually been engaged and it can't be overridden. I just stayed up all night watching youtube videos, that's how I figure it out lol. Car works fine now.