Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ls2 or other v8 engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Turbodawg8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ls2 or other v8 engine swap?

So has anyone done a LS2 engine swap in a G37 coupe? Are there better v8's to go with?
Does anyone know what companies might do this as well? After selling a perfect running 3.7L, what would I expect to spend to make this happen? Twin turbo and supercharger kits are way over priced and I'm looking for alot more performance than what I get out of this 330HP engine. Thinking an LS swap might be the way to go but can't find alot of information on it. I've seen multiple G35 LS swapped projects but no G37s. Any idea why? Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
So you complain about price of FI kits yet want to undertake a job that will take custom fabrication likely exceeding the cost of said FI kits?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Turbodawg8

No complaints. Just saying if I'm going to spend that kind of $ on an upgrade with the outcome of the 500HP range, I'd prefer to spend it on going the V8 route. That being said, I've seen pretty good prices on LS2 engines and am hoping the actual cost outcome of the latter might be slightly less.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Turbodawg8

Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That^

Is just for the front pulley set up lol
Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Turbodawg8

Wrong picture. Regardless, you can still get the engine and most of the components for around 5k.
From that point its just learning about everything else that will need to be done, who does this swap, cost of fabrications, etc. At that point you can determine how it compares to the 7k+ you will spend on a supercharger or TT kit.
I made this post for that purpose. Im looking for details and insight, not critics.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
If you're trying to do this to save money then you're looking in the wrong direction.

Do you have a shop in mind that's willing to gamble with you on this? Get a rough idea of how much they're going to charge you in labor and take it from there. Such projects are money pits.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Turbodawg8

I'm not looking to "save" money. A supercharger or TT kit is gona run you close to 8k installed. Doing an LS swap (OR a V8 that's better to use for these cars?) will run approx ? My preference would be the V8 but I'm interested in hearing from people that have done engine swaps with G37s. I am interested in learning more about how well it works for people. I know of a company in Alabama that specializes in LS swaps for RX-7s. Curious if there are shops out there that specialize in these cars, etc.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:33 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
LS swaps in RX7s are so common that it's ridiculous. Just because you can get an engine and transmission for $6000 doesn't mean that's all you're going to spend. You'll probably have another $6000 or more in customizations.

There are plenty of shops that specialize in G37s, but you're not going to find one that specializes in G37 V8 swaps.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Ah ok, I apologize then I must've mis-understood your comment about turbo kits being overpriced. Don't get me wrong, the torque, sound and fun you'll get out of a V8 is unmatched, it's just untouched territory. Companies haven't invested in swap kits on this platform because there's not enough audience for this to make a good business case. You're pretty much looking at custom everything which requires a lot of trial and error, time & more importantly money. Then getting all the electronics/dashboard/BCM to function properly is another headache. I'm assuming you're not gonna strip the G and go full race mode right?

Take this from a guy who spent two years in and out of garages and enough money trying to make his engine swap work to buy two more G's, you're better off with the bolt on turbo kit Unless money is no object and the G is a side project car, then I'd definitely love to see this happen.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Honestly with the price of an engine swap if you're looking for big power I'd sell the G and pick up something with a V8 or LS stock. There's been very few swaps that I've seen on the Gs and you'll probably end up with a huge money pit headache.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I thought there was a company that already did a swap into a 370Z? I think if you have an auto like I do, an LS swap would make far more sense than a TT kit. To properly do a TT kit with a built engine and tranny is about $20K. One could easily do an LS swap for less than half that and sell the stock engine/transmission to help offset the costs.

The engine bay operating temps will be far less drastic, plumbing will be easier, fewer gauges, just much less complex overall. Then again you're not going to be pushing 800hp like a killer turbo setup would but I'm sure it'd be far more reliable. The most complicated aspect would be an ECU to run everything seamlessly and integrate with the stock gauges.

Personally, I'm done modding (knock on wood). When you look at spending that sort of money, might as well start out with a different car altogether or at least one that's more mod friendly.

But I get the desire to do it. I did the over-the-top mod thing when I was younger. I'd probably be driving a Nismo GTR or 911 Turbo now if I'd spent my money more wisely when I was younger, LOL. Youth is wasted on the young, money on the old.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've seen

a 350z with an Ls swap at driftcon at evergreen fairgrounds in Washington state I know there is someone who has done it for sure maybe try to contact someone who has already done it....
Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
I personally would love to see a V8 powered G37. The G, Coupe or Sedan is a beautiful car.

As the G gets older, it's just a matter of time before people start doing (more) engine/drive train swaps.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:02 AM
78transam

I would look into getting a EFI carb set up for a ls engine that way you get a computer that will run the engine. Then you would just need to find someone to make sure all the other electronic components still work with the original computer. I would guess you would need to reinforce the engine cradle to handle the extra weight in the front. As well as beefing up the rest of the frame of the car.