Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

LS Swap, TT Kit, Or SC Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Snorlax562
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS Swap, TT Kit, Or SC Kit?

Looking into increasing the the power on my G37s Sedan but not sure which options would be the most cost effective and reliable. My G37 currently has 90k miles on it and is a 7AT. It is currently my daily driver, does any one have any suggestion on what is a safe amount of boost? or should I just do the engine swap?
The following users liked this post:
Juelz86g37s2012 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
I vote LS swap. Is that even possible with the size of our engine bay? I'd like to see any kind of crazy motor swap into the sedan. I seen a picture of a RB swap on here somewhere.

Last edited by qmantran; 10-17-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Here you go. I'm sure you two will have lots to discuss.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...r-charger.html

Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Snorlax562
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
I vote LS swap. Is that even possible with the size of our engine bay? I'd like to see any kind of crazy motor swap into the sedan. I seen a picture of a RB swap on here somewhere.
h

Yea It is possible, just not sure if it's the most cos effective way to gain power lol. Got quoted around 14k for everything on the ls3 swap.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
You've got my vote for the LS swap... LS swap all the things!!!
The G would be a beast.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
14k to swap in a v8 that makes around 400whp vs around 8-10k for a supercharger that would make the same amount. You'd have to consider what other functionality you'd lose with the swap.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
for an automatic, supercharger no doubt
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
IMO, if you want an LS then you should sell the car and buy one that comes with an LS.

As others have said for an automatic a supercharger will most likely be the best choice, unless you plan to build the transmission then turbos are the way to go. There is no definite 'safe level of boost' but as a rule of thumb you would want to keep under 400 wtq which is around the limit of the stock automatic transmission.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you just want a faster time in the 1/4 mile or to brag about dyno numbers just get nitrous until you get carried away with too much and pop the motor. You could probably do this a few times before you get bored and still be cheaper than an LS swap on a car that will be almost unsellable with an A/T, if you can even get that to work.

If you think it is too slow and want to keep it a long time, get a supercharger.

If you want it to sound great and have power on the cheap just get a tune, intakes, intake manifold, headers, cats, and exhaust. I only have the headers, cats, and exhaust and it already sounds great and is a ton of fun to drive.

If you want to track your car regularly, let me know and I can tell you which parts will fail first instead of wasting your money on too much power, throwing the balance of the car off and setting your brakes on fire.

If you want a dedicated track car with an LS motor, go buy a used Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
Broken_2008_G37 (05-26-2021), Venom.g37 (05-16-2021)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran
I saw a thread of a guy who crammed an LS into an early Lexus IS250 so I'm positive its possible.. but relative to cost there's no reason to outside of ambition.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:07 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you just want a faster time in the 1/4 mile or to brag about dyno numbers just get nitrous until you get carried away with too much and pop the motor. You could probably do this a few times before you get bored and still be cheaper than an LS swap on a car that will be almost unsellable with an A/T, if you can even get that to work.

If you think it is too slow and want to keep it a long time, get a supercharger.

If you want it to sound great and have power on the cheap just get a tune, intakes, intake manifold, headers, cats, and exhaust. I only have the headers, cats, and exhaust and it already sounds great and is a ton of fun to drive.

If you want to track your car regularly, let me know and I can tell you which parts will fail first instead of wasting your money on too much power, throwing the balance of the car off and setting your brakes on fire.

If you want a dedicated track car with an LS motor, go buy a used Corvette.
This ^^ +1 - Great Post
The following users liked this post:
Broken_2008_G37 (05-26-2021)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Snorlax562
Registered Member

the supercharger would be the least costly of the three. I am kind of leaning towards supercharging my motor now lol but would it be too crazy to boost an engine that already has 90k miles?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
LS swap it! I think somebody already did an RB swap on a G....
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Snorlax562
the supercharger would be the least costly of the three. I am kind of leaning towards supercharging my motor now lol but would it be too crazy to boost an engine that already has 90k miles?
I see you are relatively new here. Until you tell us what it is you are trying to accomplish with the car there is a very good chance you are going to waste a whole lot of money soon.

If you want a lot of reliable horsepower from a supercharger or turbocharger, go through the engine first and replace all the weak internal links. Then ask ttv36 about all the other things that will start breaking on the car once you crank up the boost.

I think bolting on turbos or a supercharger to your car is a lost cause at this point, especially with an A/T, but then again I have no idea about your goals for the car. Let us know what you are trying to do so we can offer you some decent advice.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM
Snorlax562
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I see you are relatively new here. Until you tell us what it is you are trying to accomplish with the car there is a very good chance you are going to waste a whole lot of money soon.

If you want a lot of reliable horsepower from a supercharger or turbocharger, go through the engine first and replace all the weak internal links. Then ask ttv36 about all the other things that will start breaking on the car once you crank up the boost.

I think bolting on turbos or a supercharger to your car is a lost cause at this point, especially with an A/T, but then again I have no idea about your goals for the car. Let us know what you are trying to do so we can offer you some decent advice.
Yes I am new here and I definitely don't want to waste money I just want a reliable daily that once in awhile I could track but I feel as if it is not possible with the current engine. That's why I thought of ls3 swap lol.

Quick Reply: LS Swap, TT Kit, Or SC Kit?