Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

5 Speed Automatic Transmission Fluid Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
5 Speed Automatic Transmission Fluid Change Question

I have changed all the other fluids in my G and the only thing left is the transmission fluid on my 08 5 speed automatic. I have read all the threads on the transmission fluid changes but not completely clear on the 5 speed.

I plan to do the 3X drain and fill. Is it as simple as it seems, drain and refill the same amount drained through the dip stick tube? Do I warm up the car and shift through all the gears before draining and after the refill? Any tips or things to watch for?

I know the crush washer is the same as the oil plug washer. I plan to use the S Matic fluid. How many quarts are lost when drained?

I very much appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

UCLAg37
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by UCLAG37
I have changed all the other fluids in my G and the only thing left is the transmission fluid on my 08 5 speed automatic. I have read all the threads on the transmission fluid changes but not completely clear on the 5 speed.

I plan to do the 3X drain and fill. Is it as simple as it seems, drain and refill the same amount drained through the dip stick tube? Do I warm up the car and shift through all the gears before draining and after the refill? Any tips or things to watch for?

I know the crush washer is the same as the oil plug washer. I plan to use the S Matic fluid. How many quarts are lost when drained?

I very much appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

UCLAg37
Here's the 7AT DIY
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post4059177
And this reply for the 5AT specifics
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post4059024
The following users liked this post:
UCLAG37 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:37 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Thanks Blnewt! You are indeed this website's historian and ambassador!

It would still be appreciated if those who have done the 5 speed auto diy to share their experiences. Thanks.

UCLAg37
Old 08-02-2016, 05:53 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Don't do it when it's cold you want the car up to running temp. Undo refill bolt first the. Drain plug.
UCLAG37 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
My 2nd gear slips when I manually shift it, if its in DS or D and just shifts automatically it shifts firm... Kinda weird. I'm hoping a drain/fill and filter will fix this.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 PM
johnnyn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did you get the s matic fluid for? I remember when I was looking into doing it myself, the cost of fluid was higher or close to the cost to get the flush and refill done at Nissan ($150)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by johnnyn
How much did you get the s matic fluid for? I remember when I was looking into doing it myself, the cost of fluid was higher or close to the cost to get the flush and refill done at Nissan ($150)
I bought the S matic about 6 months ago at about $8.50-$9/quart at a Nissan dealership. The parts manager gave me 20% off as I've been buying almost all my Nissan ester oil, brake fluid, coolant and oil filters there for the past 7.5 years.

It will be hard to beat $150 for a flush/fill anywhere. For me it isn't about the cost, I'm concerned about flushing out the tranny and risking potential long term damage. I would rather drain and fill 3X and continue to do all maintenance/repair work on my own as I've done since I took the G off the dealership lot.

UCLAg37
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 PM
kimster500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring back up an old thread. I'm a bit confused on what Transmission Fluid to use or if there is a difference between Matic-S and Matic-J. I own a 2008 G37 5AT, and I read the FSM for the 2008 5AT and it says use only "MATIC-J"... However, I see everyone using Matic-S. Can someone please enlighten me :O? Thank you in advance!

Old 01-29-2019, 03:33 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
AFAIK Matih S superceeded Matic J in the transmission...the FSM would have had the original spec and likely hasn't been updated (especially if you are going by the online .pdfs)...(Matic J may not even be availble anymore) if you want to be sure give your dealership parts department your VIN and ask them for the appropriate fluid when ordering it...FWIW I have the 5AT as well in my 07 Sedan and have used matic S in all my drain and fills
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
kimster500

Originally Posted by Hashim
AFAIK Matih S superceeded Matic J in the transmission...the FSM would have had the original spec and likely hasn't been updated (especially if you are going by the online .pdfs)...(Matic J may not even be availble anymore) if you want to be sure give your dealership parts department your VIN and ask them for the appropriate fluid when ordering it...FWIW I have the 5AT as well in my 07 Sedan and have used matic S in all my drain and fills
Makes sense. Thank you! Since you're another owner of a 5AT, is the "re-fill" part also underneath near the drain plug, or is there a fill plug located on top? Majority of G37 owners have the 7AT, and according to what I read on the forum posts about this topic is a bit different when filling.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by kimster500
Makes sense. Thank you! Since you're another owner of a 5AT, is the "re-fill" part also underneath near the drain plug, or is there a fill plug located on top? Majority of G37 owners have the 7AT, and according to what I read on the forum posts about this topic is a bit different when filling.
Theres a bunch of reasons why I perfer the 5At over the 7At and this is one of them...we got lucky with the 5AT..... theres a fill tube at the top of the engine near the back between the intake manifold and the firewall...I have read a couple of posts on this forum that on some of them they are dummy tubes though and it cant acually be used to fill (I have never seen this this myself though)...

Also with the top fill if you have a fluid transfer pump you can do the drain and fills using a fluid transfer pump through the fill hole too ....oh and on the 5at the filter is replaceable so if you do drop the pan you can change it out too...rockauto has them for about $13 dollars or so last time i checked...
Old 01-30-2019, 02:13 PM
kimster500

Originally Posted by Hashim
Theres a bunch of reasons why I perfer the 5At over the 7At and this is one of them...we got lucky with the 5AT..... theres a fill tube at the top of the engine near the back between the intake manifold and the firewall...I have read a couple of posts on this forum that on some of them they are dummy tubes though and it cant acually be used to fill (I have never seen this this myself though)...

Also with the top fill if you have a fluid transfer pump you can do the drain and fills using a fluid transfer pump through the fill hole too ....oh and on the 5at the filter is replaceable so if you do drop the pan you can change it out too...rockauto has them for about $13 dollars or so last time i checked...
Thank you Hashim! That's interesting; I'll have a look and check mine. I'll probably drop the pan sometime in the future when I feel a bit more confident after doing a drain and fill. Thanks again
Old 02-03-2019, 12:05 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Since my original post in July 2016, I've done the drain and fill three times. I did the first two drain and fills on the same weekend but decided to put on 1000 miles before doing the third drain and fill because the fluid looked clean after the second drain. It was the best thing I've done for my G. The transmission shifts as smoothly as when the car had 5 miles on the odometer. Since the fluid changes are so easy on our 5ATs, I've decided to do a drain and fill (4 quarts) every 12K miles. Cheap insurance for keeping the transmission happy.

UCLAg37
Baadnewsburr (02-03-2019)