Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Power steering fluid in reservoir, circulation normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Power steering fluid in reservoir, circulation normal?

I only ask as I noticed the burnt rubber smell after driving my new to me IPL, emanating from under the hood. Definitely a belt smell. My first thought was they'd detailed the engine and dripped or been a bit to vicarious with some protectant that was causing the belt to slip. I don't hear a thing on cold startup but after I drive for a bit and park, I can smell it.

With that said, the smell has diminished, particularly yesterday. None the less, got up, washed the car, started her up and took a peek to see if I noticed anything unusual regarding the belts. I also thought maybe they'd done a new belt and didn't tighten it to the right tension.

Anyway...no new smells this morning, will know more after a longer drive.

One thing I did notice is that the fluid in the power steering pump reservoir is moving around quite a bit. At first I thought it might be percolating but it's fluid flow in and out of the reservoir. Normal? I've never seen that amount of flow in any other car I've owned. I shot a short video I'll post later, taking forever for hosting service to process video.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
One thing I did notice is that the fluid in the power steering pump reservoir is moving around quite a bit. At first I thought it might be percolating but it's fluid flow in and out of the reservoir. Normal? I've never seen that amount of flow in any other car I've owned. I shot a short video I'll post later, taking forever for hosting service to process video.

Thanks for the feedback!
That's normal.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
My first thought was they'd detailed the engine and dripped or been a bit to vicarious with some protectant that was causing the belt to slip. I don't hear a thing on cold startup but after I drive for a bit and park, I can smell it.

my G37 was purchased CPO from an Infiniti dealer and it was SLATHERED in some thick engine dressing.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Yeah I just pulled into work and had a "spirited" drive downtown where appropriate and no smell...so it must have been the engine/plastic dressing.

Thanks for the feedback guys.