Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Broke my rear left CV axle where it goes into the diff.....twice in one week.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 PM
asbyo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Broke my rear left CV axle where it goes into the diff.....twice in one week.

Hey guys,

Could really use some help. I have a bolt-on 2008 G37S. I was engaging first gear from a left turn lane from a complete stop and apparently broke my rear left cv axle where it goes into the differential inside the 'boot' area.

Towed it and had a replacement ordered -- they sent me a rebuilt axle and we put it on.

Less than 24 hours later it happened again after I put it in second gear and hit the gas.

Been driving this car for 3 years since the original owner, put maybe 20k of the 80k total miles on it in that time, and this is the first time (and second, lol) it's ever happened.

What the hell am i doing wrong? Or what is going on? I'm not driving the crap out of the car and beating it up. It's a 6MT and i've been driving manuals for over 17 years.

I've looked for aftermarket CV setups and the only one I can find for a G37 is like 2.2k. Ideas?
Old 11-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Brown324

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like in both cases you have a defective axle, maybe the original broke from hard driving over the course of several years and the second broke either because it was defective or possibly because it wasn't seated fully when installed, but that would most likely cause vibrations and diff fluid to leak plus would be pretty tough to get everything back together if it wasn't seated properly. Defective axle is my vote, if there was any binding issue in the diff or with the hub/brakes that was causing it you should have plenty of vibration and noises that would make that pretty apparent... Go buy an Orem Infiniti axle and see what happens man.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 PM
asbyo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown324
Sounds to me like in both cases you have a defective axle, maybe the original broke from hard driving over the course of several years and the second broke either because it was defective or possibly because it wasn't seated fully when installed, but that would most likely cause vibrations and diff fluid to leak plus would be pretty tough to get everything back together if it wasn't seated properly. Defective axle is my vote, if there was any binding issue in the diff or with the hub/brakes that was causing it you should have plenty of vibration and noises that would make that pretty apparent... Go buy an Orem Infiniti axle and see what happens man.
That's exactly what we were thinking, too. I've asked Z1 for their opinion on it and they speculated the same. First one -- I will 100% admit that I drove the car hard and, after 80k miles, it blew. Ok, fine, no big deal. The second one is complete bull****.

We did order a brand new OEM from Infiniti on the west coast and are awaiting it's arrival on Mon/Tues. Just put me out another 600$. I'm planning on going to small claims court with the company that sold the rebuilt one to us if they won't reimburse it.

Appreciate your help.