Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Roots/Twin Screw G37x

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 AM
N2 THE ABYSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Screw Supercharged G

I've had my G37 for a few months now and have kept myself from buying a bunch of bolt-on's in lieu of either going FI or Nitrous. Since I came from building DSM's to my last project a 500hp VW I'm wanting something a little more "grown up". I want to keep the luxury and keep it stealthy while still indulging in my need to make everything faster.

So, this is where the Supercharging question comes in to play. I have a Whipple supercharger that is perfectly sized for a 3.5-4.0L engine that was going to be used on a VR6 VW Project that ended up getting turbo'd instead. It's sitting on my tool box begging to be used.

I've seen some pictures of a STILLEN (roots) supercharger for the 350z. This is probably a stupid question but would the manifold from that kit fit the VQ37? Or are the heads that much different? If so I could either try my best to get my hands on one or have the design copied.
This is an article I found about the STILLEN setup: LINK TO ARTICLE

Pics for reference

Obviously a need for a completely custom intake manifold would be necessary (if the STILLEN model won't work). This isn't such a big deal as having something milled and welded is possible with or without an AWIC core sandwiched between can be done for a price.

Since I already have the SC I would really just need the manifold and a tensioner pulley (I'm leaving out fueling and tune because that's not my concern at the moment although I will be using Osiris since I tune VW/Audi/Porsche professionally and it seems like a nice alternative to standalone or piggyback, something like Maestro for VW/Audi).

Has anyone done a setup like this on the VQ37 that can give any advice?

I'm not shooting for a race car or dyno queen, just something that is more fun to drive. The way this car feels it just seems like it would be a lot nicer if it were closer to 400hp

As for the cooling of the intake air I'm not sure if trying to sandwich a cooler into the manifold would be best or just running a Water Meth setup with a 5 gallon tank in the trunk.

I've read a lot that says these engines can't handle much more than 450hp before needing internals, but is this primarily for people running turbo setups with much higher torque numbers / torque spikes? I'm also a little stumped why everyone is using a HP number as a reference to when the block will decide it needs some windows...
Torque is what bends / breaks rods and I've yet to see anyone mention a peak torque level for a stock block. Power onset also has a lot to do with how the internals handle the power increase. I've tuned cars (I'll use the VW 1.8T engine as an example) that bent rods at ~280lbft and had another that ran for years on stock rods with ~350-375lbft when the general rule of thumb for those engines is that rods are needed over 300lbft.
The reason that the lower tq engine windowed the block was because the smaller turbo spiked at 2800rpms and the larger framed turbo gradually built boost and peaked closer to 5500rpms.
** I don't want to do internals until I get bored of the added boost and decide to go from a 14psi pulley to a 30lb pulley. So a clear understanding of what the stock block can handle would be much appreciated. The linear onset of the supercharger should have much less potential to stress the rods versus nitrous or turbocharging**

I guess my next limiting factor is that I have a 7AT transmission but am fully prepared to have Level 10 beef it up when needed. I seem to think I've read that it'll handle 400whp as long as temps are kept under wraps.

The next thing would be the AWD system since I have the G37x model. I haven't heard any horror stories about this being a weak point. I won't be launching it hard so I'm doubtful I'll have to worry there.

As for the twin throttle bodies and MAF sensors I was thinking that running a larger bore intake into the supercharger and then having it split equally in length and diameter into a "Y" would allow me to run them all with minimal issues other than possibly having to to make the wiring longer.

I'll need to figure out what size injectors I'll need and if an inline pump Walboro 225 or Bosch 044 is needed to keep up with the power level I'm seeking. If there's a possibility that this project can go forward I'll probably go with injectors that'll allow room for growth so I'm not concerned with that later.
But, that goes into tuning and if the hardware part is more expensive than just buying a kit then that will be a non issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:23 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
To be honest I HOPE you do this I have been thing of this for 6 months or so. The intake should fit since the M370 is a modded G35 intake plenum? This"running a larger bore intake into the supercharger" are you think of running this right were the TB's would go and running them down the sides like the stock intake? Thats the intake piping I was thinking about. make the Y at the top of the SC and the intake pipping like stock, and keeps the MAF location in the same place.

bad drawing I know LOL
Attached Thumbnails Roots/Twin Screw G37x-sc-drawing.jpg  

Last edited by ANMVQ; 10-21-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM
N2 THE ABYSS

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
To be honest I HOPE you do this I have been thing of this for 6 months or so. The intake should fit since the M370 is a modded G35 intake plenum? This"running a larger bore intake into the supercharger" are you think of running this right were the TB's would go and running them down the sides like the stock intake? Thats the intake piping I was thinking about. make the Y at the top of the SC and the intake pipping like stock, and keeps the MAF location in the same place.

bad drawing I know LOL
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking as for the intake design.

Yeah, I noticed the same about the M370 so it should be pretty straight forward. I'm not sure how I'll get my hands on one of those Stillen manifolds since I doubt they'll sell one without buying an entire kit but if I can get better pics of it I've got a guy who can replicate just about anything. It seems that they've made the tensioner part of the manifold so it's a complete unit, just add supercharger and belt.

I guess I need to get on the phone with Stillen and see if there's a possibility of getting one of those manifolds otherwise it's going to be some design work in the future.

You won't need to hope too hard. I'm pretty set on this. I want the boost delivery of a roots charger and it'll be significantly cheaper than any other option since I have the supercharger already. The nice part is the Whipple charger I've got should be good for ~400whp at 8psi and if I decide I need more I can get a pulley good for 30psi

I do think I'll need to figure out something to do with the hood as well but that's not really a big deal. Maybe there's a scoop of some sort that doesn't look ricey... and will allow for some extra room under there.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:10 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by N2 THE ABYSS
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking as for the intake design.

Yeah, I noticed the same about the M370 so it should be pretty straight forward. I'm not sure how I'll get my hands on one of those Stillen manifolds since I doubt they'll sell one without buying an entire kit but if I can get better pics of it I've got a guy who can replicate just about anything. It seems that they've made the tensioner part of the manifold so it's a complete unit, just add supercharger and belt.

I guess I need to get on the phone with Stillen and see if there's a possibility of getting one of those manifolds otherwise it's going to be some design work in the future.

You won't need to hope too hard. I'm pretty set on this. I want the boost delivery of a roots charger and it'll be significantly cheaper than any other option since I have the supercharger already. The nice part is the Whipple charger I've got should be good for ~400whp at 8psi and if I decide I need more I can get a pulley good for 30psi

I do think I'll need to figure out something to do with the hood as well but that's not really a big deal. Maybe there's a scoop of some sort that doesn't look ricey... and will allow for some extra room under there.
Cool !
As far as the SC goes check the g35driver site. I've seen them for sale there used. I'm over there a little bit also. I'm sure you can find a used one and it would come with everything. You wont need all that stuff but at least you'll have some of it.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:12 AM
N2 THE ABYSS

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Cool !
As far as the SC goes check the g35driver site. I've seen them for sale there used. I'm over there a little bit also. I'm sure you can find a used one and it would come with everything. You wont need all that stuff but at least you'll have some of it.
Oh Wooooord??

Thanks, I'll check it out. I sent Stillen an email about purchasing the manifold but I'm expecting a polite F88K YOU... It's worth a shot though.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
As far as I know the Stillen kit does bolt on the 3.7L, as there are a few G37's running this kit.

As ANMVQ mentioned, I've seen these kits go pretty cheap before especially when they are missing parts. I know a guy over on the 350Z forum was selling a SC kit recently that was missing some pulleys, hardware and belts for $1500, but that may have been a perfect option for someone wanting to "build" their own kit.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:29 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
this cant be a direct bolt on as the lower piece bolts up to the lower manifold.. so unless you do some fab work like re-drill a few holes like you have to when you put the VQ37HR intake on..
Old 10-22-2015, 12:47 AM
N2 THE ABYSS

Originally Posted by chuckie311
this cant be a direct bolt on as the lower piece bolts up to the lower manifold.. so unless you do some fab work like re-drill a few holes like you have to when you put the VQ37HR intake on..
I'm not afraid of having to do some fab work. Bolt on would be nice but I've been doing this long enough to know nothing is as easy as it seems, or as cheap.

I hadn't priced gauges when thinking about this and getting some Innovate Gauges (they seem to match the stock gauges best) and that alone has tacked on a decent amount just adding an AFR, Oil Pressure and Boost Gauge. The little things quickly add up. But I don't want to add boost without proper information in the cockpit.

I'd love to use the NAVI system to monitor the engine and keep it stealthy but it seems I'd lose the ability to use the radio at the same time.

I guess I'll begin lurking the classifieds
Old 10-22-2015, 01:43 PM
chuckie311

don't forget they had to use a aftermarket hood with these do to clearance issue's with the stock one
Old 10-22-2015, 04:38 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Was thinking about this some more today, and isnt that kit for the DE motor? Would the G37 lower plenum fit to the SC? not sure the holes are even close? An not talking about the mounting holes the air path holes, whats the bottom of the SC look like?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM
chuckie311

this is the bottom

Name:  Stillen_Supercharger_003.jpg
Views: 3549
Size:  60.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
alot of people dissed on the 350 and g35 stillen superchargers mainly cause they honestly didnt make alotta power and would make the vqs heat problem even worse than what it already has... but hey no one is gonna diss a custom supercharger build. main problem that i would think will be the dual throttle bodies
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
chuckie311

I wish vortex would make a system like they did for the 350z and g35
I would be more inclined to buy one of those than stillens
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
I too wished that vortex made their own kit. Stillen air to water is straight thrash. Boosted performance custom air sc stillen kit still needs work but that's more so for the guys that already have the stillen kit and have a few thousand lying around to play with. Gtm/gamma can't get my money for there's.

In pertaining to this thread, my knowledge base isn't as vast as u or those commented but sub'd for progress. Might learn a thing or two.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
this is the bottom

So the real first problem I see is out lower intake is square and this is round :/
Attached Thumbnails Roots/Twin Screw G37x-intake-lower-before-install.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Roots/Twin Screw G37x