Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Smoke on startup, oil consumption fixed, dealership no help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 12:57 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by comperr
Thanks for the detailed reply! It is a V6 though, I didn't get the V8 unfortunately. It is a 2015 and you can tell the engine bay is designed for the V8 because there's enough space I could change the belts by hand without removing a single part from the car, don't even need to move the airboxes out of the way LOL.

I agree the smell is probably buildup which has never burned off since the car was never driven hard. 1 owner, serviced at the same dealer (Lokey Infiniti) its whole life on the "premium" maintenance schedule. I inspected the valvecovers, PCV area and exhaust for possible signs of leaks, it was still clean as when we picked it up. The other thing that could be burning is the dressing they put in the engine bay. Maybe they sprayed it directly instead of into a cloth, and overspray hit the hot components. The belt looks and feels fine. I don't have a strain gauge to measure the tension, though.

Yesterday I changed the fogs for 6000k LEDs, all cabin lighting to LED, including footwells. Also blinker bulbs to LED. Unfortunately I found out the QX70 doesn't use the blinker as a running light, so using "switchback" function will require some extra wiring on another weekend project.

I'm pretty happy with the service advisor, and yes we gave them maybe $10-12k in business since 2019. On the G37 the heater hose coupler went, we all know it's a $5 part but I was at 100k miles so I turned that into a $2k service visit by asking them to replace the hoses(forcing a drain and fill on the radiator, the coolant is rated for 100,000 miles or 6 years?) with the coupler. They also did plugs and plenum gasket, 7AT drain and fill, and diff drain and fill, obviously oil change and whatever else is on the big intervals for premium service. I'm probably the only customer they've had that's excited to get a new diff put in. The new one has the cooling fins and jack point just like the 2023 Nissan Z.
So from the heavier and more luxurious trims of the VHR we see that the airboxes change and some of the PCV hoses as well. This could essentially improve the PCV system into separating more of those vapors than a G37 however it is uncertain.

The main issue seems to surround oil quality. The longer mile intervals really suck for an engine that's barely driven. I have clear hoses in the VHR engine stand I have in the garage and you can see droplets of water vapor on just 30 mins idle. Many times most owners of infiniti's barely drive them due to having a trashier car they prefer to daily which makes that whole problem worse.
For peace of mind, the PCV issue seems to impact the G chassis more than others and hoses and routing might be the reason why.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:16 PM
comperr
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
So from the heavier and more luxurious trims of the VHR we see that the airboxes change and some of the PCV hoses as well. This could essentially improve the PCV system into separating more of those vapors than a G37 however it is uncertain.

The main issue seems to surround oil quality. The longer mile intervals really suck for an engine that's barely driven. I have clear hoses in the VHR engine stand I have in the garage and you can see droplets of water vapor on just 30 mins idle. Many times most owners of infiniti's barely drive them due to having a trashier car they prefer to daily which makes that whole problem worse.
For peace of mind, the PCV issue seems to impact the G chassis more than others and hoses and routing might be the reason why.
Ok great that makes sense! I have the car in CarFax "MyGarage" and it lets me see the service history. The oil was changed roughly every 4,000 miles. I will collect a sample for Blackstone Labs, they can tell me if it's synthetic or not. It may be foolish to trust it 100% because Orlando Infiniti may have put Synthetic while servicing for resale, I did not ask them as I haven't used traditional oil before. I used at least a synthetic blend in my Toyota!

I will post the oil reports, collecting samples for each change until we're through the first 3 changes. I have all my reports from the G37 dating back to 20,000 miles, most recently it was collected at 168,000. I'll post in the appropriate thread, and make it more about my G37 since this is a G37 forum.

About the trashier daily driver... We got one, it's a Tesla . Sits in the driveway and both Infiniti are in the garage.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:45 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Much like my car, it's hard to believe this thread is still going strong.

Car now has 120k mi, runs strong and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes. Only thing it's needed other than regular maintenance was modding the sunroof drains after they started to leak and fixing a sticky parking brake. Just did a tune up and am gonna give it a full detail and probably keep it for a couple more years.

FYI, do your plugs on time even if you don't think you need them. I swear I got 15 horsepower back and an extra 2-3 MPG.