Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Stuck Clutch Pedal - Joining the Club PLEASE ADVISE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
ricey4you
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Stuck Clutch Pedal - Joining the Club PLEASE ADVISE

Hi Everyone,

Looks like I'm joining the stuck clutch pedal club. Here is my story.

Monday 7/20/15

My 2010 6MT has 68k miles and out of nowhere the clutch pedal was losing return pressure and within 2 miles was jammed to the floor with absolutely no return pressure.

Wednesday night 7/22/15

I had it towed to Niello Infiniti by AAA

Thursday 7/23/15

Niello infiniti mentioned they would need to charge a mandatory $270 diagnosis fee to figure out the problem. So i was like ok fine just get it fixed.

They then mentioned that bleeding the clutch fluid and replacing it with R35 GT-R brake fluid would fix the problem, but that it wasnt under warranty because it was a TSB.

See the following post for the TSB:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB13-005a.pdf

I said fine a fluid flush isnt a big deal and I'd be willing to cover that as well.

Friday 7/24/15

Niello infiniti calls me saying they couldnt bleed the fluid because the fluid was too thick and had apparently seized up. They had then called Infiniti Tech Line and they mentioned that in order to fix all of this they needed to replace basically EVERYTHING including:
Master Cylinder
Slave cylinder
Flywheel
pressure plate
clutch plate
brass bushing
rubber hoses
physical clutch pedal.

The total would be $4045 (what the flying F@%&) not including the diagnosis fee and that infiniti powertrain warranty would not be covering anything, because the master cylinder was the cause for failure which is not covered under powertrain. I got pissed off obviously asking why we had to replace any other parts besides the master and slave cylinder if those were the only components that failed. They said they would have a better estimate by monday because the technicians were busy.

Monday 7/27/15

Infiniti calls saying their warranty service coordinator was not working that day so I would have to wait till tomorrow.

Tuesday 7/28/15

Infiniti says we can not know for sure unless we drop the transmission and open it up, and that i had to authorize removal of the transmission. Luckily for me I have an extended 3rd party warranty which would cover the removal and replace of the master and slave cylinder. But the 3rd party warranty would like to know the whole problem and may not cover the removal of the transmission if there is a bigger problem. My extended warranty is through a company called route 66.

Developing...

This whole ordeal is nonsense. It should not have taken nearly a week to get me an estimate and figuring out what needs to be fixed.

If any of you have any tips on how to deal with this or what to say/argue to my warranty or the dealership please advise. I don't want to pay an outrageous amount of money for such a new car that I've babied for all its life.

****UPDATES TO FOLLOW****
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
I had the problem on my 06 G35 6sp. The CSC was replaced under warranty and I never had another problem when I traded it in at 171796 miles. I also had the Infiniti Elite warranty.
I would never purchase a 3rd party warranty. Too many exclusions

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 PM
g_dc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by ricey4you
Friday 7/24/15

Niello infiniti calls me saying they couldnt bleed the fluid because the fluid was too thick and had apparently seized up. They had then called Infiniti Tech Line and they mentioned that in order to fix all of this they needed to replace basically EVERYTHING including:
Master Cylinder
Slave cylinder
Flywheel
pressure plate
clutch plate
brass bushing
rubber hoses
physical clutch pedal

The total would be $4045 (what the flying F@%&) not including the diagnosis fee and that infiniti powertrain warranty would not be covering anything, because the master cylinder was the cause for failure which is not covered under powertrain. I got pissed off obviously asking why we had to replace any other parts besides the master and slave cylinder if those were the only components that failed. They said they would have a better estimate by monday because the technicians were busy.
Items bolded do not typically require replacement. What is their justification?

What does fluid too thick mean? Did you ever bleed/flush the clutch fluid? I realize this is not on the maintenance chart, but it's one of those things that should be done.

My 15 yr old camaro had the original clutch fluid. It was black, but it still worked. Why I never flushed it? It was a strange reverse flush procedure.

If your fluid was contaminated I can the need to really break the system down and flush out the line (maybe blow it out good with compressed air). IIRC, the only rubber portion of the line is from the reservoir to the master cylinder. From there on it's all hard lines.

Regardless, check the terms of your extended warranty, while they may not cover the clutch wear parts (flywheel, friction disk, pressure plate), they should cover the slave cylinder. Without dropping the trans it's impossible to determine if the csc has failed. Given all these posts about csc failures, it can be said with about 99.9% certainty that is your problem.

Now, if fluid from a failed CSC (concentric slave cylinder) has damaged the friction disk, then that should be covered under the extended warranty, along with any other related parts (pilot bushing).

If you do get this work done, pay the tech to replace the rear main seal on the engine too as it's fully accessible and is usually changed out when a clutch is done.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:53 AM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wait, i thought when they had recalls on the slave and master cylinders they extended the warranty upto 120k miles on the specific items to be covered even if you're out of warranty.