Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review My Uprev tune review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
My Uprev tune review

First off a big thanks to Think47 (Anthony) and Jack Cecil @ HP-Logic in West Palm Beach, FL. Jack my tuner really knows his stuff and I highly recommend this shop for all car modding.

So, after a lot of anticipation and research I decided to run with Uprev over ECUtek. The reason for this choice has been discussed a bunch in the past few months so I won't bore everyone with my reasons. For all interested I'd recommend searching the forums on Uprev and ECUtek, I've been vocal along with a few others in our discussions relating to tuning.

The Tune:
The process of tuning was relatively quick and pain free. I equate this to the vast experience of Jack my vehicles tuner. I asked a ton of questions and thank him for his patience with me. He stated that the first order of business after securing the car onto the Mustang Dyno was putting the proper values into the computers he figured would be right for the car/ dyno being that my car isn't OEM. A bone stock G37 runs between 250-260 BWHP. With my mods the car was pushing 263 BWHP without the tune.

The first dyno pull was a little anti-climatic. After the pull I mentioned to Jack that I was expecting a lot more noise. His response to the statement was, "That wasn't a true pull, I was just making sure the values I entered in for your mods were close enough to begin. You'll know when it's a real pull". I felt a bit silly and naive so I decided to step back and just observe the process. Jack adjusted some of the parrameters and started the first "real" pull on the dyno.

My wife was sitting in a seat not far away but when the my G's throttle opened up it was truelly amazing. I had a grin ear to ear, and goose bumps up and down my arms. This was by far one of the coolest things I have been a part of or witnessed. The car absolutely howled! People from other surrounding businesses krept in and watched from the bay doors as Jack ran 7 total pulls on my G in a hour and a half period. I was like a proud parent at his childs game where he or she just scored the final point to win the game. A few people gave their congrats. and few gave their nod of approval. One guy just said that it sounds beautiful and walked away.

All in all the process was a great experience. I learned a lot about tuning and see that there is an art to it, not just laying down code in a computer program.

Results:
The results were pretty much what I expected for the mods I have on my car and from what thers with similar mods and tunes have recieved. A honest baseline wasn't recorded or printed out for me since the car had been modded before coming to the shop. I saw that the "base" pull was 263 BWHP but I didn't look at the TQ value. After the final pull when Jack was satisfied with the tune we went over the figures and he told me that the real killer for me was the intakes. The K&N typhoons sound awsome but gulp some much air WOT that the factory intake holes just can't supply enough cool outside air to achieve the higher HP/TQ that you get from setups like the Stillen Gen3, or Takedas. (This could be a future mod) The final BWHP was 285, and TQ was 218. I was a little let down that the big 300 number eluded me but, it's not all about the high HP/TQ values. I wanted to "feel" the differences.

Driving:
The difference in performance Before & After are evident immediately when driving. From a dead stop the throttle response is much more crisp and I don't need as much throttle to get it up to speed. The real difference is after 3K RPM at any speed. The car just pulls..... And PULLS HARD! I went on a LONG test drive from WPB south to MIA down A1A. I kept the speed modest due to pedestrians and it being spring break, but in a few open areas I really let the throttle have it. The car while in automatic shifts so smooth, and at just the right times. Good-bye infamous 7AT gear searching, hello smooth 7AT always in the right gear for the right speed. The tune holds the tranny in gear a little longer so you get the most out of each gear. (I still have some playing to do with this so I'll follow up with more results as I feel them out). While driving and shifting manually the shifts seem quicker without the "lag" that we all try to fix with "grounding kits". The tune has healed this one for sure. One of the biggest differences I can vouch for is when needing to pass up a texter or sunday driver. The car with the new shift points makes passing effortless, just touch the throttle and it goes. The economy map is linked to the performance map, where after 45% throttle input the ECU automatically shifts into the performance map. This is very helpful since 90% of driving "normally" is done under 35% throttle = Economy. It's in those "gotta get gone quickly times" that the performance map takes over and really presses you back into the seat. I can say that the top end is much better now while the bottom feels a little better but the real difference is throttle response at lower speeds.

Name:  IMAG0119_zpssto1nuq9.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  50.1 KB

That's it for the review. I am happy with the results and @ $550.00 it was well worth it.

Last edited by warped ideas; 03-16-2014 at 10:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by warped ideas:
CRiME (09-26-2015), krazzyborri (07-03-2018), MStrike (03-28-2021)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Nice review, I keep hearing that mustang dynos give lower numbers. You def need a stillen gen 3 love the sound it made but my exhaust just covers it up now.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
Nice review, I keep hearing that mustang dynos give lower numbers. You def need a stillen gen 3 love the sound it made but my exhaust just covers it up now.
Mustangs give more accurate numbers from my understanding. The tuner told me that if I were on a Dynojet dyno my numbers would have been up another +15 HP & TQ. Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 AM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm tentatively scheduled for next Saturday with Z Fever in Tampa to have the Gen 3 intakes and the FI RHFC's installed. They will then do the Uprev tune.
I am hoping to do three separate dyno's ( base line, after the parts are installed, and after the tune).
It should be a fun day.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great review, sounds like you had quite an entertaining day. That reaction you had during your first "real" pull sounds priceless!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by blnewt
Great review, sounds like you had quite an entertaining day. That reaction you had during your first "real" pull sounds priceless!
Thanks, Bro. It was! My wife said that my face was priceless.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
So, after a lot of anticipation and research I decided to run with Uprev over ECUtek. The reason for this choice has been discussed a bunch in the past few months so I won't bore everyone with my reasons.
What? No, please bore everyone. It's worthwhile, on-topic back story.

I think the numbers are fair, considering your mods: HFC, SRI and axle-back. Looks right to me.

The K&N typhoons sound awsome but gulp some much air WOT that the factory intake holes just can't supply enough cool outside air to achieve the higher HP/TQ that you get from setups like the Stillen Gen3, or Takedas.
It's pretty much accepted knowledge by now, IMO, that the long-tube intake design is the way to maximize intake-supported gains with a tune. So if you upgrade your intakes at some point, will you be re-tuning?

From a dead stop the throttle response is much more crisp and I don't need as much throttle to get it up to speed. The real difference is after 3K RPM at any speed. The car just pulls..... And PULLS HARD!
That's what I like to read. Sometimes a successful power mod isn't felt as more power, but a familiar pull that just keeps going without let up.

Glad you're happy, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-16-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Rochester
What? No, please bore everyone. It's worthwhile, on-topic back story.

It's pretty much accepted knowledge by now, IMO, that the long-tube intake design is the way to maximize intake-supported gains with a tune. So if you upgrade your intakes at some point, will you be re-tuning?

That's what I like to read. Sometimes a successful power mod isn't felt as more power, but a familiar pull that just keeps going without let up.

Glad you're happy, man.
OH OKAY! I couldn't pass on the opportunity to be able to switch between modes / maps. I also kept getting the run around for the past 6 months about ECUtek being able to switch between maps as Uprev. It was always "# months and it will have the same functions as Uprev". ECUtek has more parrameters that can be adjusted but lacks ability to be able to change..... That was important to me!

Yeah.... I'm probably going to need to "up-grade" to the Takeda or Stillen Gen 3. It's gonna have to wait though. I have some serious projects I am planning out for my house in the next year or so.

The car really just pulls now. I haven't been able to toy with it much yet, but I'll let you all know about where the car starts "letting off" in the RPM MPH spectrum. I need an open, straight, non-patroled road to really test it out.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Great post, thanks for sharing.

I'm on the fence right now. I like what I'm hearing about ECUtek but really want the ability to switch between maps (especially now that my son may be moving in). I've been told the same about my intake but I like the sound of the R2C...

Sounds like a great day overall!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
It sounds like the improved response and more linear behavior from the 7AT would be worth the price of admission on its' own. This definitely moved up a few spots on the to-do list. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I've been told the same about my intake but I like the sound of the R2C...
I also love the looks and sound of my R2C intakes, but pragmatically know that I'd have to upgrade before getting tuned.

Oops, I forgot to air-quote the word "upgrade". LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

+1 LOL^^^
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Very nice review, Jack and Anthony are great to deal with. I will be seeing them soon for the SC install and tune also. Glad you're happy my buddy did 290+ with Stillen Gen 3 cold air FI HFCs and Catback on the same dyno so your numbers are pretty good for having those short rams. Stillen Gen 3s would certainly help a lot.

Last edited by Diego@Vossen; 03-16-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Thanks Diego, and yes, Jack and Anthony are good dudes.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Great review.. Thanks for taking the time and posting in detail.

Good to know it evened out the shifts of the 7AT and removed the delay. That is ideally what I am looking for in addition to improved throttle response.

Have you been able to gauge any idea on fuel savings(if normally driven)?

Quick Reply: Review My Uprev tune review