Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

New Clutch engaging late in the pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Danjjacob

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New Clutch engaging late in the pedal travel

I just got my car back from the dealer after they installed a new clutch, CSC, master and clutch pedal return spring...., now it doesn't engage until the pedal is almost at the end of the pedal travel when I am about to take my foot off of the pedal. It seems to be very late engaging. Normal? Anything they can do to adjust it so it engages earlier?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Danjjacob
I just got my car back from the dealer after they installed a new clutch, CSC, master and clutch pedal return spring...., now it doesn't engage until the pedal is almost at the end of the pedal travel when I am about to take my foot off of the pedal. It seems to be very late engaging. Normal? Anything they can do to adjust it so it engages earlier?

Thanks
doesn't sound normal but I had a similar issue after having my transmission replaced. The re was a lot of free-play at the top and the clutch didn't engage until it was almost all the way down. I contacted the dealer on a Friday and made the appointment for the following Monday but the problem resolved itself prior. I'm not sure if there was some air that somehow worked itself out of the closed system? I thought there were a few things to help with the abruptness of the G clutch (different springs/ aftermarket clutch pedal assemblies) but I'm not sure if there is anything for what you are describing except to have the dealer resolve it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Aftermarket clutch? If so, yes this is normal.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Danjjacob

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the clutch is from South Bend Clutch, their Stage 2 clutch kit.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:42 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you get the kit from us Dan? We have them built for us with more marcel and it should not engage that late if you go it from us, Ours start about 1/3 pedal on the way up normally, Quiet disk will be slightly higher.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
What is marcel?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
What is marcel?
Marcel is the wavy spring in between the 2 clutch facings on street kits, it allows the clutch to engage smoother and cushion the engagement and will also gauge where the pedal starts to grab. This can be changed by the manufacturer, how much or how little depending on the car, set-up or pressure plate needs.

We've tested all the South Bend Clutch Kits in the 370Z/G37 so we know how much marcel we want to get the clutch to release fully and not be super high on the pedal nor too low making the clutch have release issues.

Stage 2 kits we order with full marcel to allow them to drive very smooth with a mid point engagement. Stage 3 kits are ordered with no marcel so they release properly and with the stage 3 pressure plate design will allow the pedal to be at about mid-point on release. Of course we can customize any kit to fit a persons wants/needs.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZSpeedPerformance:
Dough1397 (02-15-2014), JSolo (02-14-2014)