Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Carfanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(

Well i've been dealing with steam coming from my rad i have no idea why ....

the car is a g37x 09 50 000 KM 7speed

My mechanic friend took out the plastics and looked for leaks however he couldnt find any also the one leak he found was the Rad hose which he simply moved up and installed a new clamp.

We check the entire engine bay for leaks oil or Prestone but nothing found except the radhose small leak .....

Experts please give me advise ,

goverheat Pictures, goverheat Images, goverheat Photos, goverheat Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I've attached a video , ignore my voice it was super cold outside and im a bit hesterical LOL

Thank You Everyone Any advise would help
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Are you sure it's from the radiator?

Is it possible some oil got spilled during an oil change and is cooking off..?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Rikter

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What does the smoke smell like?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Carfanatic

Unhappy

Well it smells like burning Prestone "anti freeze" i even saw these droplets from the hose ,

Posted pic : Check attachments

looked to see if the steam was coming anywhere else from the engine but its isolated to the rad front area , looked for leaks but nothing found on the sides of the rad housing ....

its not black smoke just like steam from antifreeze burning but my car temp is below mid.

What should i do
Attached Thumbnails G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
In that photo it appears that you have a coolant leak. See where it's green at the point where the hose is connected to the neck? Appears to have a small leak. May be the hose, the clamp, or the neck. I'd guess its the hose. Replace it. Use a T -bolt type clamp rather than the compression one.

I don't know why your friend thought moving the hose or clamp a little would fix a leak. New hose. Better clamp. Fixed.

If it's the neck of the radiator, you'll have to replace that. More difficult. More expensive.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
If there is just coolant marks on the hose, then it may be time to replace the hose.

If its anywhere else, turn your car on and have someone hold the rmps at about 3 grand, then see if you see it leaking anywhere.

If you cant see anything, get them to rev the engine a bit higher. If you still cant see anything, I suggest trying a new hose first.

If its not the hose, then you can always take the hose back off and return it
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Carfanatic

Red face

hey guys finally decided to take it to an expert in vehicle cooling and he said hes dealt with a g37x like mine before also so lets see what he says i'll post my results back to conclude
Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
OMG_ROTFLOL

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
In that photo it appears that you have a coolant leak. See where it's green at the point where the hose is connected to the neck? Appears to have a small leak. May be the hose, the clamp, or the neck. I'd guess its the hose. Replace it. Use a T -bolt type clamp rather than the compression one.

I don't know why your friend thought moving the hose or clamp a little would fix a leak. New hose. Better clamp. Fixed.

If it's the neck of the radiator, you'll have to replace that. More difficult. More expensive.

ditto,

and pressure test.....with a small hand pump...you can get for $50-$150 bucks
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Can'tGme

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My hose has looked like that for two years and it hasn't leaked.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
i had this the other day, but couldn't visually see anything. Seemed as though snow or water was simply burning off or so I hoped.

Took it to the car wash today after spraying down plenty of smoke which subsided. I tend to think is the radiator enclosure. Curious if it isn't some kind of design flaw though. Other have noticed this here.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 AM
deadguy366

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a bunch of steam every time I wash mine. I thought it was weird at first, but after reading on here that it's a common thing I stopped worrying about it. Though it's actually slightly embarrassing when leaving the car wash because it looks like theres something wrong with my car.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Carfanatic

Smile Everything is A + OK :)

Well first off thank you Myg37 community for help and giving a lot of good advice

Solution : Remove hose entirely, put some lube on neck end then put two clamps with decent torque and clean engine .

The reason the car would smell inside would be due to the anti freeze burning on the rad and coming through the heater vent.

Easy test to see if rad or heater core is the problem , turn on AC in recycle mode if it still smells like burning antifreeze then replace heater core if it doesn't smell then most likely the issue resides in the engine bay.

Car is running amazingly , push it hard a few times grips beautifully with the X-ice tires and AWD

For the person who mentioned that "there hose looks like mine" . YOU ARE LEAKING ANTI FREEZE, remove hose and place clamp on a bit tighter and in a new position. Otherwise eventually you'll have my problem and it sucks and embarrassing at the same time !!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone !!!

Best Regards,
Carfanatic
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

It may be worth mentioning it again, but if you use a T-bolt style clamp as suggested, 1) you wont need to use 2 clamps, 2) you don't have to over tighten which may damage the plastic neck. Glad you got it solved though.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Carfanatic

Smile

For sure i agree but for the time being i was very careful not to damage the neck and torqued the clamps in effectively and not forcefully or harshly.

Heres a question : Suppose you break the neck what then .....

Apparently from what i see is that , the entire rad assembly must be replaced
looking at $550 min

Or does anyone know where to get a rad neck ? LOL

I also noticed this forum post : http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...ggestions.html

a member actually does what my friend did move the hose, but your right its better to get a new hose and a T clamp
Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You break it you buy it.

Aftermarket ones can be had much, much cheaper. I got my CSF all metal one for less than that.

Quick Reply: G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(