Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Carfanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

LOL funny , i wanted to know did you have a place online where in case i could buy a neck for my rad if i ever had a problem instead of replacing the entire rad ...
Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Carfanatic
LOL funny , i wanted to know did you have a place online where in case i could buy a neck for my rad if i ever had a problem instead of replacing the entire rad ...
Amazon.com: CSF 08-11 Infiniti G37/09-11 Nissan 370Z Radiator 1 ROW/AA 3404: Automotive Amazon.com: CSF 08-11 Infiniti G37/09-11 Nissan 370Z Radiator 1 ROW/AA 3404: Automotive
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Carfanatic

Guys im still smelling that liquid heres a theory ... Could the hose to the heater core be leaking or it is definitely the heater core ? How much would a new one be from infiniti ?

Because my rad is for sure not leaking which leave me to believe it's gotta be the heater core.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My coupe has steam come from under the hood everytime it rains. I assume that's just water & it's a design flaw...right? Someone please put my worry a to rest

Broke my radiator ornamental cover trying to look at it..dammit
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Carfanatic

Well a little steam is okey steam like i have is a problem but funny thing is i don't have any steam anymore i'm beginning to think its for sure the DAMN

Heater Core
Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Finagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a G37 with 11,000 miles , i live in a cold climate that requies i dont drive my G37 sport in the winter i do start the car and warm it upa number of times during the winter, I can smell anti freeze from under the hood after its warmed right up , i check the hoses and clamps no dampness anywhere no drips on the floor or on the tray under the engine no , water in the oil nothing out of the tail pipes . no water being used , i will try to get the hose clamps and install them , any where else i could look for a leak ? thanks in advance for your help
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Carfanatic

hmmmm. well try this , turn your heater on and go for a drive push the car and see if you have a weird smell coming from the vents .....

my hypothesis is a majority of g37x coupes have faulty heater cores...

they leak causing a weird anti freeze smell around the car.

i'm having mine swapped in about 2 months price quote is about $1000

the labour is really expensive

the heater core i'm going to go with is going to be after market for sure
i feel like infinti makes cheap heater cores...

this could be the case for your g37s... just try the heater thing out and get back to us.

i'm in Montreal Canada so trust me i know all about cold
Old 04-30-2014, 02:41 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
It could also be a heater core valve...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Finagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will check the heater core areas but mostly the smell is heaviest under the hood closest to what I will call the filler neck and overflow area , I need to take it out of storage and put some miles on it , not to excited about tackling a heater core or heater core control valve on a car that has 10,000miles on it, not impressed. thanks everyone for there help .
Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Carfanatic

Yup I know what you mean, to be honest I don't really care as long as when I replace the core or valve and them smell goes away for 5 years I'll be happy or even 3

Let me know when you get yours checked out or whatever happens. I'm waiting about 1-2 months or until it goes hot I guess but my coolant temp is always below normal.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading over the whole thread it doesnt look like you replaced the hose, only put lube? on it and 2 new clamps. Did you replace the hose? If not then you should have as its easy and relatively cheap and most certainly your issue still. Rubber on a car is not lifetime and needs to eventually be changed at some point.

Hose leaks dont always provide visual indication that there is a leak. Some radiator leaks are the same way. You are of course dealing with very hot liquid and steam and if its a teeny leak under pressure then it wont lead to pooling. Your leak may only be occurring when the engine is up to temp and the pressure is high enough to force out steam. You may smell it, but the evidence is...well...up in steam

also if your engine temp is always too cool that means your thermostat is stuck open. With it stuck open then the system is always running and dealing with conditions outside normal which can lead to issues.

If you did replace the hose, especially if you replaced all the hoses then id start looking at things like gaskets and water pump. Most water pumps have tiny weep holes that when the pump isnt working correctly will seep coolant. In some engine bays this weep hole will leak onto hot parts and burn off leading to the smell and absolutely no indication its the water pump.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
nogoer

Originally Posted by Finagan
I have a G37 with 11,000 miles , i live in a cold climate that requies i dont drive my G37 sport in the winter i do start the car and warm it upa number of times during the winter, I can smell anti freeze from under the hood after its warmed right up , i check the hoses and clamps no dampness anywhere no drips on the floor or on the tray under the engine no , water in the oil nothing out of the tail pipes . no water being used , i will try to get the hose clamps and install them , any where else i could look for a leak ? thanks in advance for your help
Cars that sit a lot can have all sorts of issues that daily driven cars do not. Things like rubber can dry out and go bad a lot faster than normal. Like i told carfanatic hose leaks sometimes are very difficult to tell theres even a leak. With coolant you dont need puddles of it to smell it. with yours you could simply be having extra coolant dumping into the overflow with the whole car reacting to the long sit between starts. I'd put some miles on it before i start ripping things apart hunting for issues.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
nogoer

Guys im still smelling that liquid heres a theory ... Could the hose to the heater core be leaking or it is definitely the heater core ? How much would a new one be from infiniti ?

Because my rad is for sure not leaking which leave me to believe it's gotta be the heater core.
Sorry for all the posts, new ideas are coming to mind as i keep re-reading.

How are you sure it isnt the radiator? did you pull it and have it pressure tested? Seriously you could have a super teeny pinhole leak that is only leaking when the car is up to temp and the system open.

A heater core leak is going to steam the entire car up when the heat is on, are your windows fogging up when your driving? Also heater core leaks almost always will pool because it's inside the car and theres nowhere for the steam to escape into the air so you should be able to feel a wet spot somewhere in or around the glove box or passenger floor.

Honestly a 2009 shouldnt have a rad or heater core leak unless its a defective part so i wouldnt look any further than your hoses and the connected wear and tear items like thermostat and water pump.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Carfanatic

Smile

No Worries , i love the idea's but here's some clarity :

-Clamps were added and the RAD HOSE was not replaced. I guess i could do that before anything....

- Rad was checked completely to see if there were any leaks coming from it...
and the RAD does not seem to be leaking

-However the hose i'm uncertain of , but can a hose leak actually cause smell inside the car...

-As for my rad always being on lol , trust me it's not , it only turns on when needed operation seems normal . my engine temp starts cold and warms up like any normal car would and should.

Thanks for your input
Old 05-02-2014, 08:49 AM
nogoer

-Clamps were added and the RAD HOSE was not replaced. I guess i could do that before anything....
You could have saved yourself a lot of headaches and wondering if you had just replaced that hose in the first place. This should be the first thing you do as i'd pretty much guarantee this is your problem. Also adding or moving clamps at best does very little if anything and at worst can make the problem worse. I'm not sure why you chose to just add clamps and not replace as a hose is pretty cheap and the upper can usually be replaced without a coolant flush and without much of a fuss if your careful about the coolant spilling from the hose.

- Rad was checked completely to see if there were any leaks coming from it...
and the RAD does not seem to be leaking
A visual check is good and all but the best way to tell if a rad is good is to do a pressure test. Especially when you have an unknown leak and you've eliminated any other possible source of the issue.

-However the hose i'm uncertain of , but can a hose leak actually cause smell inside the car...
Yes it most definitely can. Its coolant steaming out, it doesnt matter where it comes from if it steams and becomes aerosolish then its going to smell. With residue on the hose it is most certainly on its way out if it isnt already bad. It could be taking any number of circumstances to create the conditions where you smell it. It also is probably leaking even when you dont smell it. For now you are lucky it's just a pressure leak. If you ignore the hose one day you'll be driving and its just going to blow out and then you're stuck with a much bigger hassle.

-As for my rad always being on lol , trust me it's not , it only turns on when needed operation seems normal . my engine temp starts cold and warms up like any normal car would and should.
You said your temp gauge was always indicating a low temp condition. Thats why i mentioned the thermostat always being open not the radiator. If the thermostat is stuck open then the entire cooling system is open and constantly recirculating doing it's thing to cool and keeping your car below optimal operating temp.

If your thermostat is bad and the hose is leaking then you might have a bigger issue looming.

Quick Reply: G37 Rad Steam PROBLEM :(