Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

No likey more and more I drive using the paddles

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No likey more and more I drive using the paddles

OK I've had my 2010 G37xS for over a month now....I've done the 027 transmission update...switched/reveresed the shifting using the gear selector...trying to get used the "shakey" feeling when crusiing below 40mph...But I just can't get used to the lag tiem in shifting using either paddles or gear seletor...BUT what I really dont' like is the paddles mounted to the steering column! So they are fixed in place! Do you know how many times I'm in a turn adn wanan shift to the next gear up or down???!?! And I can't b/c the paddles are not where my fingers are b/c I'm TURNING!?!? My GF's IS250 AWD has them mounted to the back side steering wheel....the IS-F does too...as does the 2014 Stingray and many other sporty cars (i.e Porsche). So when you're turning the paddles are always at your finger tips! THIS is the way it should've been if Infiniti wanted a "Sport" version/option! So far I'm very displeased with the way Infiniti did their transmission..other than that...I'm still excited and glad I bought her...I've found out the best way to drive her "spiritedly" is just to throw her in DS...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Our Audi has the paddles in the back of the steering wheel as well. Works great with DSG.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Paddles attached to steering wheel are a fail.
Try a high g turn in a high speed move & accidentally drop a gear at the wrong time.
They fix paddles to the column so no matter where the steering wheel is the paddles are easily gotten to.
My rdx turbo had them on the steering wheel, tiny little switch like paddle fail.
They belong on the steering column, btw I was looking at a brand new lambo that had paddles, guess where they were mounted.
A tiny hint, not on the steering wheel.
The following 4 users liked this post by RISKY GUY:
Chris11LE (10-09-2013), Varjo (10-09-2013), VQHRLover (10-08-2013), WannabeSport (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Try a high g turn in a high speed move & accidentally drop a gear at the wrong time.
They fix paddles to the column so no matter where the steering wheel is the paddles are easily gotten to.
My rdx turbo had them on the steering wheel, tiny little switch like paddle fail.
They belong on the steering column, btw I was looking at a brand new lambo that had paddles, guess where they were mounted.
Bentleys are also not on the steering wheel
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 AM
insidiousaudio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreeded.. i perfect slapping the shifter up anyways. make you get into it and DRIVE..
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
This times a million. My dad has a C6 Vette with AT....he tells me to try out the paddles. What a PITA - get into the throttle entering the highway thru and S-turn ramp, and I have to slide my hands all over the steering wheel to reach the shifters since they are attached to the wheel. Stupid design (we wont even mention how they have up/down on each side of the steering wheel, so not only do you have to shift your hands around you have to make sure to think about exactly what part of the paddle to press)

MUCH more satisfied with the paddles on the G
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Every time I get to drive a car with flappy paddles, it only takes a few minutes of use before I abandon them and use the ratchet shifter on the console to bump through the gears. And then it only takes a few minutes more to get bored of that and just put it in Drive. No clutchy no likey.

However, to paraphrase Don Rumsfeld (ew-w-w)... You drive with the car you have, not the car you might want or wish to have at a later time.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LOVE the paddles in our G. The manual was never the choice for us in this car, and as much as I miss having a stick, the paddles are fantastic. I use them exclusively on the freeways, and anytime I feel like driving more spiritedly. The shift times are just fine. I also think they are the best size and location of any which I've used. I really credit Nissan for keeping them on the column.

We have paddles in our new Audi, as well. That 8AT is much better than the 7AT in the G, and the shifts are probably twice as quick, however, I can't abide the paddles on the wheel. It's flat out dangerous. Making a sharp turn while trying to shift, is impossible. In the G, it's perfect. No issues shifting with the paddles in any kind of turn.

Different strokes, for different folks!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
IcemanVQ37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the paddles on the steering column is perfect. I am not a pro race car driver but don't you usually downshift before entering a turn or corner anyways? I believe you should not be shifting gears in the middle of a turn anyways. Hence the design of the paddle shifter on the column, so that you don't accidentally shift during turns? Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by sniper27
Our Audi has the paddles in the back of the steering wheel as well. Works great with DSG.
I'm guessing you're the only one that agress with me....I just dont' get why everyone like the fixed paddles on teh steering column. When you're driving stright your hands are usually at 10 and 2...so when you turn they should still be at 10 and 2 in realtion to the steering wheel, BUT your hands will physically be at, let's say you're making a hard right turn, 12 (right hand) and 7 (left hand). So how the heck are you supposed to hit the paddles that are fix-mounted on the steering at 2-4 and 8-10 (I gave it some hours b/c the paddles span those hours)? You can't..your fingers start to flail around looking to shift as you hit the limiter. I've done this manys of times.....I still think the paddles located on the back of the steering wheel itself is the way to go...so they turn as you tun and are always at your finger tips when you need them...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
10Gee37exeS

How? You'd have to remove your hand from the steering wheel (which is a no-no if you are in a high G turn (and yes you do need to shift while in turns sometimes) to use them as opposed to ones mounted to the back of the steering wheel which will always be at your finger tips
Old 10-09-2013, 04:27 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
This times a million. My dad has a C6 Vette with AT....he tells me to try out the paddles. What a PITA - get into the throttle entering the highway thru and S-turn ramp, and I have to slide my hands all over the steering wheel to reach the shifters since they are attached to the wheel. Stupid design (we wont even mention how they have up/down on each side of the steering wheel, so not only do you have to shift your hands around you have to make sure to think about exactly what part of the paddle to press)

MUCH more satisfied with the paddles on the G
Why are you moving your hands around on the steering wheel in the first place? They should always be at 10 and 2 on the wheel. therefore the paddles should always be at your finger tips. Are we doing hand over had again? I agree with the up and down on each side of the steering wheel is pretty bad.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Why are you moving your hands around on the steering wheel in the first place? They should always be at 10 and 2 on the wheel. therefore the paddles should always be at your finger tips. Are we doing hand over had again? I agree with the up and down on each side of the steering wheel is pretty bad.
At least for me, its very uncomfortable to be taking a sharp turn, my elbow and arm end up in an awkward position to begin with, much less if I had to keep them in just the right spot on the wheel to get to the shifters.

Maybe its just my positioning, but I find it a lot easier to just reach my index or pinky finger back to hook onto the paddles if they are stationary with the column.

Funny thing about the Vette setup....I told my dad it freaked me out, since I accidentally downshifted after using the "upshift" paddle (pressed the right side like I always do on the G). He used them for a few days and agreed its a horrible design. Went on the web and found all sorts of sellers for the mod to make them work just like the G - both up/down paddles on right are now upshift, both paddles on left are now downshift
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
You are so incredibly *** backwards on the way paddles are supposed to be fixed in a car. PERFORMANCE cars are all mounted on the column, not the wheel. It is so when your doing high speed maneuvers the paddles are always where you expect them to be. Less of a 'hunt' to find them.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM
insidiousaudio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you need 2 hands in a high g turn your not a real driver..

Quick Reply: No likey more and more I drive using the paddles