Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2011 g37 oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
g37aero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
We bought our G used from a Nissan Dealer and part of the sale was free 3year/36month oil change (with dyno oil). I took the car in with my own oil to get it done no charge. After the promo ended I'm pretty lucky, I have a very trustworthy shop right across the street so they do it. I still bring my own Mobil1 (buy at Costco). Perhaps if the G wasn't so low I would do it myself. but for $21 (plus my oil) it's well worth my time and oil disposal.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna check out my Costco. What type of oil do you use? I wonder if the dealer would care if I brought in my own oil to use?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM
tmmueller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gapgirl
no.. not really.. it is actually nissan's recommendation. just like they recommend to dont spray tire shine on your tires. why? because it could splash up and eat your paint. nissan recommends 5W-30 grade oil, but can you use 10W-30? sure, but its not best for the engine. you can use whatever manufacturer you like.. mobil 1, valvoline, castrol, penzoil.. but i chose to use what the manufacturer RECOMMENDS. they built the engine, they should know. a 11:1 compression ratio is higher than most cars.
No one is disputing what they do or do not recommend. The issue is what you said about voiding the warranty. That is the untrue part!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Some might find this in poor taste, but I just couldn't resist.

"She was told to just add a quart of oil. I’m not sure if she’s a natural or bottle blonde."
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2324/x3r.gif
Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

@gapgirl, your link is to a maintenance plan. This is an addon (ie extra profit) sold to the owner to prepay for maintenance in advance.

The key word you in your quoted statement is *may*. Sounds like another scare tactic in forcing the customer to use over priced OEM fluids (which are probably made by valvoline or some other major co).
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^

Read up on this:

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

I do all my own maintenance and keep receipts for all parts along with a log with date/mileage of when what was done.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
There are better oils for the VVEL VQs than the Nissan Ester~ Penzoil Ultra & Platinum both return better UOAs than the Nissan Ester.

No way will your warranty be void if you use oil w/ current SAE standards and correct viscocity (assuming owner neglect doesn't come into play).
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
here is proof that nissan ester oil is better than mobil 1 oil, coming from mobil 1's own website:

Ask Mobil 1 Archive - Ester Oil

Nissan recommends nissan ester oil. why would they recommend it if it is not better for the engine? although mobil 1 contains ester, putting ester oil per recommendation is far better than using a second choice, mobil 1..

Betty, you shouldnt trust everything your boyfriend tells you before doing some research first. my dad is a mechanic and taught me all about cars, so i know more about cars than most boys do..
Damn. And here I thought I had done my research. All that effort and money I spent having my used oil that I actually sampled from my own engine analyzed by a laboratory and comparing them with other ones that other actual G37 owners have done and posted here for the benefit of the G community - all for naught! Maybe I should have simply bought the oil Nissan recommends. That happens to be marketed by Nissan. It simply has to be better than anything else, no matter what the science of a bunch of geeks in a laboratory say to the contrary. I feel like such a stupid noob.

I'm am so very pissed at my boyfriend right now.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'll just leave this right here. It might be helpful.

rec·om·mend
/ˌrekəˈmend/
Verb
Put forward (someone or something) with approval as being suitable for a particular purpose or role.
Advise or suggest (something) as a course of action.
Synonyms
advise - commend - counsel - suggest

re·quire
/riˈkwī(ə)r/
Verb
Need for a particular purpose; depend on for success or survival.
Cause to be necessary.
Synonyms
demand - want - need - claim - call for - ask
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Glenn2008
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
So the two largest Infiniti dealerships in Kentucky don't use the right oil? I know there is at least one other individual who posted up that their Infiniti dealership also uses
Mobil 1. If we were to do a poll, I'll bet that more dealerships use Mobil 1 than ester. That was one of the questions I asked when I purchased my car.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
here is proof that nissan ester oil is better than mobil 1 oil, coming from mobil 1's own website:

Nissan recommends nissan ester oil. why would they recommend it if it is not better for the engine? although mobil 1 contains ester, putting ester oil per recommendation is far better than using a second choice, mobil 1..

Betty, you shouldnt trust everything your boyfriend tells you before doing some research first. my dad is a mechanic and taught me all about cars, so i know more about cars than most boys do..
I checked out the link you posted and can't seem to locate the proof that Nissan ester oil is better than M1?

I was curious to see if Mobil actually says there is better on their own website.

Last edited by terrycs; 08-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by g37aero
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna check out my Costco. What type of oil do you use? I wonder if the dealer would care if I brought in my own oil to use?
Mobil1 5W-30 .... 6 quarts to a case, put one quart aside. Periodically they have a coupon for like $10 off. My Nissan dealership had no problems using my oil .... but make sure they use it. In the beginning I started off with Royal Purple, never knew it was actually purple. Brought the car in to the Nissan Express Service and brought a case of RP in. Got the car home and checked the levels (I always do after someone changes the oil) and it was normal (clean) oil color. I asked my buddy who recommended it and he said no, it is actually purple. The Express Service guys stole my expensive Royal Purple. I called the Nissan dealership and spoke with the service mgr. Explained that I didn't see them take it but ..... from then on I watched through
the windows (like a hawk) when they did my car.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
^^

i'm not buying it.. the nissan VVEL engine is one of the few engines that RECOMMENDS a certain type of oil. all other engines (toyota engine, etc) only recommends the WEIGHT and not type of oil. in this case, your link applies; however, nissan recommends ester oil, so this essentially adds to and overrides general warranty language..
Not true, my daughters Acura RDX says to ONLY use Mobil1. It's in the manual and has a sticker next to the oil cap. Now, are other synthetics as good or better than Mobil1, sure but it's just not Infiniti.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
In for the show on this thread...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

yes.. peeta.. and that's for an acura rdx.. now read the manual and oil cap for infiniti g37..

do you know bobtheoil guy? well, he is my hubby. i am theoilgirl (:
ORLY? So your hubby is Bob the oil guy, but you don't know that using any equivalent oil in an engine doesn't void the power train warranty and keep insisting that our cars MUST use Nissan ester oil to maintain warranty? I just went and read my owner's manual and that's what mine says. Just the same as it did when I read it when I bought my car in '07. I went out and took a peek at my cap. It reads "SAE 5W30". Is yours different?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i never said ester oil is better than M1 in general. i'm saying it is more compatible and recommended for our engines. for example, is diesel gas better than unleaded gas? it is for a diesel car, but not for an internal combustion car

and yes.. those dealerships dont know what the hell they are doing.. i go to glendale infiniti and santa monica infiniti and they both use nissan ester oil for these engines
Actually, you did say that in post 16:

That statement caught my eye which is why I wanted to see if Mobil actually made that claim.

Quick Reply: 2011 g37 oil change interval