Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Thinking of buying '13 G37 6MT. Clutch questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM
onthefence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying '13 G37 6MT. Clutch questions...

Greetings -

New member. Currently driving 2003 Maxima with manual transmission, but after ten years I'm ready for new car. My requirements were a V6 and a manual transmission,which doesn't leave many options these days. The G37 has been at the top of my list (the RWD is a nice bonus). I've driven the automatic a couple of times, but local dealers (Michigan) won't order the 6MT unless you're prepared to buy it; apparently most buyers around here don't want rear wheel drive or summer-only tires.

So last weekend I was in South Carolina and finally had an opportunity to drive the 6MT. Overall I like the car, but the clutch pedal was problematic. I've searched this forum and I'm aware that there's some sort of spring fix (here, here, and here for example) that's been around for a few years, but I couldn't quite tell from those threads whether they addressed what I experienced on my test drive.

My complaint: the spring force on the clutch pedal is highly variable, with an "over-center" feel similar to what you get when you draw back the string on a compound bow. The spring force is highest near full release and lowest when the pedal is on the floor. I suppose that's handy for dealing with prolonged bouts of stop-and-go-traffic, but it seems to be exactly the opposite of what you want as far as precisely controlling pedal position with your foot. The result (for me at least) is that it was difficult to achieve smooth, lurch-free launches. I got better over the course of the test drive, but nothing like what I've enjoyed in my Maxima for the past ten years or so, which has a very constant spring force over the entire length of clutch pedal travel.

The salesman said you get used to it, but then of course he's trying to sell me the car, so I have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

And so that's why I'm here, for unbiased opinions from current owners. Questions:

-Does my description match the problem that those spring kits are trying to fix, or are they addressing something else altogether that's only present on prior model years?

-If there's no fix for what I'm describing, can you confirm that this is something I would get used to over time?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
we have similar stories. I came from a 02 6mt Max and the dealer here was reluctant to order the 6mt unless I was going to buy it. I basically said I would but not before a through test drive.

The clutch feel is less than stellar in all Nissans that I have drive (95 SE 5mt Max as well). The new spring helps and you get used to it but I still have occasional jack-rabbit starts.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It took me no time at all to get used to the clutch feel in my 350Z 6MT...

Don't worry about it
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1) of course you'll get used to it somewhat if you drive it everyday. However is that something you can live with in a brand new car?
2) the most effective fix is an aftermarket clutch pedal assembly designed specifically for this issue by RJM. It fixes it completely.
3) wait until next summer and see how you like the all new 2014 G that is a completely new model. Maybe this is addressed.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
in general, yes you get used to the G clutch pedal. it is not the most intuitive unit out there, but it is very solid and durable. the "fixes" you found on here do help somewhat, but our shifters are never going to be as butter smooth as a Honda or BMW. that's just the way it is.

i have no problem with the 6MT in the G. i like how it is overtly mechanical. to me it is a very positive geabox - but it doesn't let you get away with sloppy shifts. like i said, that's OK by me.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
The spring sold by Jsolo does make a tremendous difference. Does not make the clutch 100% what I desire, but I am happy enough that I don't plan to make any other changes.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The spring really does help. I really disliked the stock setup. I can drive a lot smoother consistently now, but the window is still pretty short. The spring just makes it easier to feel where that window is rather than relying on riding the clutch for forward motion with the stock spring.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,610 Likes on 3,452 Posts
Brother!

I also bought a 2003 Maxima SE 6MT brand new back in 2002, and drove that car for nearly 10 years before moving on with my 2011 G37S 6MT. Comparatively, the Maxima's (OEM) clutch is soft as a feather, with all kinds of travel. The G's clutch is a totally different animal.

You will get used to it. Get the G, you won't regret it.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM
silverg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell u the truth, i drove a 6mt 350z a week before i got the car and i was like dam that clutch is hard. Than i drove a audi,vw,bmw and i was like those clutches dont even feel like i am driving a manual. So i just went to the dealership and picked my sedan up!! It took me a couple hundred miles to get use to it. I like it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
I really like the way the stock clutch pedal feel is on my 2011 Sedan. I feel I can be very precise and accurate with it and can drive it with very minimal clutch slippage. Perhaps to truly appreciate it, you should take off your shoes. Then you can really feel the entire car, transmission, etc. Give it a try, you might surprise yourself.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
bythabay, i'm curious, what past manual cars have you driven? I come from a 90's z28 that had a relatively stiff clutch, could never quite get used to the G's until I pulled the spring/replaced with weaker.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
bythabay, i'm curious, what past manual cars have you driven? I come from a 90's z28 that had a relatively stiff clutch, could never quite get used to the G's until I pulled the spring/replaced with weaker.
I've driven many different ones before, most had a clutch that was harder to press. I do find that having less resistance on the G's clutch makes it easier to modulate since it takes less effort to position the pedal either up or down.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Interesting. Must be a side effect of muscle memory. I have the hardest time feeling out a light clutch.

Last edited by JSolo; 10-11-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: not haven't, have!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,610 Likes on 3,452 Posts
I like a strong clutch and a strong, mechanical shifter... makes me feel more like I'm part of the car, rather than simply playing with gadgets.

Fortunately, I don't live/drive where there are a lot of traffic jams. This 6MT would be murder if all you could do was go from neutral to first gear and back again.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I like a strong clutch and a strong, mechanical shifter... makes me feel more like I'm part of the car, rather than simply playing with gadgets.

Fortunately, I don't live/drive where there are a lot of traffic jams. This 6MT would be murder if all you could do was go from neutral to first gear and back again.

I agree with you...I liked the feel in my 350Z.

It was great drivng it in Idaho and Oregon, but when I moved back to the Dallas/Ft Worth area in Texas, I hated drving it in traffic here.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying '13 G37 6MT. Clutch questions...