Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Replace flywheel with clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Replace flywheel with clutch?

I've read its common to have to replace the stock fly wheel when replacing the clutch as it is not resurfaceable.

What alternatives to the OEM are there? I've seen the JWT lightweight one piece, is there anything similar though to stock?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea you cant resurface the stock flywheel. If you want an OEM feel with no noise get an OEM flywheel. If you go with an aftermarket one you will most likely hear gear rattle. I have the ACT clutch kit with a lightweight aasco flywheel. I love the set up. You do hear the rattle at low rpm but its not bad and the clutch feels 1000x better and more reponsive than stock.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ This is good information. I always assumed that upgrading the flywheel and clutch would get rid of the clanking and weird noises our cars make when turning the car off and sometimes when switching gears...
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I've got Southbend billet steel. Lighter than OEM and one piece solid construction. Not aluminum with a bolted in steel friction surface like JWT or other aluminum flywheels. Resurfaceable, no steel insert to replace. Makes as much noise as OEM. The noise is the release bearing, not the clutch and flywheel.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Wyldfyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've got Southbend billet steel. Lighter than OEM and one piece solid construction. Not aluminum with a bolted in steel friction surface like JWT or other aluminum flywheels. Resurfaceable, no steel insert to replace. Makes as much noise as OEM. The noise is the release bearing, not the clutch and flywheel.
^^^

Do you like?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
^^^

Do you like?
Yes. It revs slightly faster up and down. Not a very big difference at all. It was simply a necessity when replacing my OEM clutch at 60K miles. The shop that I had do the work did not keep my OEM parts that they replaced so I didn't get to see what condition the OEM parts were in a the time of replacement.

If only someone would make a better release bearing that doesn't rattle like a cement mixer...
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
BlackBetty, was there any increase in noise when driving/shifting? What about if you're crusing along and left off the gas, any change in how much the car jerks?

I *think* my clutch is nearing the end of its life. I'd like to have all the facts so I can choose the right product for me when it comes time.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Dough1397
BlackBetty, was there any increase in noise when driving/shifting? What about if you're crusing along and left off the gas, any change in how much the car jerks?

I *think* my clutch is nearing the end of its life. I'd like to have all the facts so I can choose the right product for me when it comes time.
The noise seems about the same. It's not from the clutch or flywheel, it's from the release bearing. The clutch I have grabs like a **** (Southbend Stage III) without being harsh. Revs rise and fall slightly faster than with the stock flywheel because of the 7 pound lighter weight of the billet steel unit compared to the OEM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM
jon23

So is it needed to replace the flywheel when the clutch is replaced? My clutch is on its way out so I've been reading here about different brands and the results they all provide. What I see is that there is no flywheel that matches OEM in sound absorption from vibrations, and all aftermarket flywheels, be it JWT or Southbend, will add more noise than the usual release bearing our cars experiment (as explained by BB).

What I mean is, if we want a lighter flywheel we then have to compromise noise and rattling, but if we want no more noise than OEM we should just replace it with a new factory part?

I'm new to clutches and learning as I go, mostly through this forum and friends that are mechanics. I also wanted to read not just from mechanics, but from actual owners and their results with different setups.

If I decide, for some odd reason...lol, to get an OEM flywheel, will I still benefit from an aftermarket clutch kit? Orderinfinitiparts has it for around $800 and I think is for the clutch and flywheel, so if the benefits aren't too great, would it be better to stick to OEM all together?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
The noise is the release bearing, not the clutch and flywheel.

If only someone would make a better release bearing that doesn't rattle like a cement mixer...
Whew! I thought it was just me. Good to know that this is a common thing.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:36 PM
BluestickG

Originally Posted by jon23
So is it needed to replace the flywheel when the clutch is replaced? My clutch is on its way out so I've been reading here about different brands and the results they all provide. What I see is that there is no flywheel that matches OEM in sound absorption from vibrations, and all aftermarket flywheels, be it JWT or Southbend, will add more noise than the usual release bearing our cars experiment (as explained by BB).

What I mean is, if we want a lighter flywheel we then have to compromise noise and rattling, but if we want no more noise than OEM we should just replace it with a new factory part?

I'm new to clutches and learning as I go, mostly through this forum and friends that are mechanics. I also wanted to read not just from mechanics, but from actual owners and their results with different setups.

If I decide, for some odd reason...lol, to get an OEM flywheel, will I still benefit from an aftermarket clutch kit? Orderinfinitiparts has it for around $800 and I think is for the clutch and flywheel, so if the benefits aren't too great, would it be better to stick to OEM all together?
Thats right. If you want more performance from lighter flywheel you will have more noise. Its honestly not bad tho. you just hear it at low rpm's. However 800 is probably for the clutch and pressure plate. an oem flywheel is like 1K. I got a quote from infiniti tustin in CA for 3000 for a clutch pressure plate and flywheel and installed. Thats why i went with a nissan specialized mechanic and aftermarket parts. Did my shopping around and it only cost me 1500. Plus if people ask wtf that grinding noise is... because race car!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM
jon23

Originally Posted by BluestickG
Thats right. If you want more performance from lighter flywheel you will have more noise. Its honestly not bad tho. you just hear it at low rpm's. However 800 is probably for the clutch and pressure plate. an oem flywheel is like 1K. I got a quote from infiniti tustin in CA for 3000 for a clutch pressure plate and flywheel and installed. Thats why i went with a nissan specialized mechanic and aftermarket parts. Did my shopping around and it only cost me 1500. Plus if people ask wtf that grinding noise is... because race car!

^^^

You are right, I made a mistake in assuming the clutch came with the flywheel. I looked up orderinifinitiparts and they have the flywheel for almost $800 and the clutch with pressure plate for almost $550, all this plus shipping and install!

I may end up getting a lightweight flywheel and either HD or Stage 1 clutch. I won't go FI, so I don't think I need a Stage 2, or 3 clutch. A member here said he got rid of the chatter by mixing Redline MT-90 and Redline 75W140NS gear oil. I just PM'd him asking if it lasted. If it did, then I'm going for the LWT FW.

Now the only obstacle is which brand to go with... I see Competition, Clutch Masters, ACT, Southbend, JWT, and some other very expensive clutches out there...don't really know which one to pick, so I'm doing some research.

Thanks BluestickG!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
gonzo007
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep updating this thread. Very interested in your findings and decision.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
BluestickG

Originally Posted by jon23
^^^

You are right, I made a mistake in assuming the clutch came with the flywheel. I looked up orderinifinitiparts and they have the flywheel for almost $800 and the clutch with pressure plate for almost $550, all this plus shipping and install!

I may end up getting a lightweight flywheel and either HD or Stage 1 clutch. I won't go FI, so I don't think I need a Stage 2, or 3 clutch. A member here said he got rid of the chatter by mixing Redline MT-90 and Redline 75W140NS gear oil. I just PM'd him asking if it lasted. If it did, then I'm going for the LWT FW.

Now the only obstacle is which brand to go with... I see Competition, Clutch Masters, ACT, Southbend, JWT, and some other very expensive clutches out there...don't really know which one to pick, so I'm doing some research.

Thanks BluestickG!
No problem! Yes do your research and ask as many people on here as you can that have different set ups. I can only speak for the ACT stage one clutch kit and aasco flywheel but there are alot of people on hee that run different setups. As for mixing oils i wouldnt...However if that one member says he did and it worked maybe check with a few technicians first before you go that route.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM
jon23

So I read, and read, and then read some more about different clutch/flywheel setups. I was going to do the ACT clutch setup that Stillen offers which comes with a different brand flywheel, but did not feel right about mixing brands.
I had asked the forum member about the oil mixture and he said there was still some chatter but only after the tranny got warm after spirited driving or a long drive, and as many have noticed, at low RPMs and at idle. Nothing too crazy.

Not to throw JWT under the bus, but from reading here and other G forums, their lightweight flywheel isn't built with materials as good as, for example, ACT or Southbend (Southbend's flywheel is about 8 lbs. lighter than OEM). Same with their clutches...

So JWT came off my list. Apparently their flywheel is too light, which is good and beneficial, but being not as dense as others, it cannot absorb the impulses and vibrations as good as a Southbend flywheel can, which would make the Southbend flywheel almost a semi-lightweight flywheel.

Therefore, I decided and placed the order for a Southbend Flywheel/Clutch combo I found at a reasonable price. They will arrive on Thursday, and will be installed Friday AM.

I also found out about the famous oil mix cocktail at a BMW and a 370Z forum, exactly the same mix. And BTW, I asked my mechanic about this oil mix, and he advised against it. So, I'm going to try it the way my car already is and see how it goes, since not even 3 months ago I replaced my MT fluid with Royal Purple and has been doing great.

I'll post my findings about the OEM parts that will come out of my car and how the new ones feel...for those that might find this interesting...lol.

Quick Reply: Replace flywheel with clutch?