Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

35,xxx WITH NO OIL CHANGE. WHAT DO NOW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I can beleive what I just read though, I would return it, and then get on horn with Infiniti and let them know what you just went through so no one else will get that car,,
Saleman,, AHHA Slugs
Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Dulanicki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walk away.
As far as oil quality, check out the June 1, 2012 newsletter from Blackstone Labs. Someone sent in Oil sample from a 1997 Nissan truck that never had an oil change. Over 120,000 miles!

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/newsletters.php

Article can be found at the end of the newsletter
Old 08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Dulanicki
Walk away.
As far as oil quality, check out the June 1, 2012 newsletter from Blackstone Labs. Someone sent in Oil sample from a 1997 Nissan truck that never had an oil change. Over 120,000 miles!

Blackstone Labs

Article can be found at the end of the newsletter
I saw that. Not nearly as bad as most of these people think it would be. And it had 3 times the mileage.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by apexi957
UPDATE

In attempt to save his face, the salesman offered to take the car to a dealership of my choice. I said Infiniti of Gwinnett and he immediately agreed. I told him straight up that we want to return it and he agreed. He only wants to get the motor checked to "clear" his name and prove he doesn't sell poor products. It's funny because he already admitted to lying to me.

One of his managers tried to tell me that some cars don't sludge up or even need a oil change for that long! I quickly told him to go die in a fire.

LMAO. Good thing you bought it from a nice person. Most people would of have said sold as is. Good luck on buying a new G.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
G37S-OONER
Banned

return it... period.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Dump the ****ing car and start fresh.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I would return it... There are too many other used G37s that were actually maintained.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Return it asap, the part I don't get is how the dealeship that sells Infiniti has accepted a trade in that never had an oil change.? That right there is a total lie, any quick lube mechanic can tell if oil was never changed.
Lesson learned, ask for the dealership service records.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Keep the car and keep on motoring.....

J/K..... get rid of it ASAP!

by reason of what everyone else has mentioned before me.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
CRIDDA

Where did you buy this car from(was it ALM), so I can make sure no one I know goes there. Also I can put you in touch with a sales person at Infiniti of Gwinnett that will take good care of you guys.

-Chris
Old 08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Twysted37

Like everyone said...return it. I changed oil on an E500 that was 30000 miles past due on an oil change.

We flushed the engine twice, it was still horrible. The guy came back every two weeks for an oil change so it could get better...it was a nightmare for him. The canister filter was also torn apart.

Save yourself the trouble.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does the dealer know oil changes have never been done? Many people don't use the dealer. When I had a company car that was a lease, our maintenance was taken car of by Goodyear shops.
How do they know it is the original filter from the factory when the engine was built? An Infiniti/Nissan filter looks just like another Infiniti/Nissan filter.
It went in for an oil change; how did they determine it was "sludged up" when they were just supposed to change the oil? Did they take it apart to check it out?
Just seems odd...

Nowadays there are reports all the time of people not doing oil changes for many, many miles over the "recommended" mileage and no problems are seen. You really don't hear about "sludged up" motors that much these days...
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that the type of person that would buy and drive a 6MT would not change the oil on it.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Just out of curiosity, how does the dealer know oil changes have never been done? Many people don't use the dealer. When I had a company car that was a lease, our maintenance was taken car of by Goodyear shops.
How do they know it is the original filter from the factory when the engine was built? An Infiniti/Nissan filter looks just like another Infiniti/Nissan filter.
It went in for an oil change; how did they determine it was "sludged up" when they were just supposed to change the oil? Did they take it apart to check it out?
Just seems odd...

Nowadays there are reports all the time of people not doing oil changes for many, many miles over the "recommended" mileage and no problems are seen. You really don't hear about "sludged up" motors that much these days...
^^^ This ^^^.

They can't tell that it is the original filter. They don't put "special" ones on at the factory that are different than the OEM filters you buy. I seriously doubt that there is any way to tell for a fact that it is the original factory fill. I bought my car new in 07 and the only dealership maintenance records it has are the first several free oil changes they gave me, a couple TSBs, and a fuel gauge warranty repair. In their records, my oil hasn't been changed since '08. I would have loved to have seen a UOA for this 35,000 mile oil. And it would be very educational for us all if this engine were broken down so we could see exactly what it looks like inside. That would be cool. If it actually looks any different than any of ours.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree in the fact that they probably don't know if the oil or the filter was from the assembly line, but if you drain the oil and sludge comes out, you have a pretty good idea that the oil is pretty old. I've seen a 13k oil change come in and it was fine, very dark, but nothing out of the ordinary. As far as newer engines not getting sludge, I had an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 that gummed up. The Head gasket went and when we tore everything apart, everything in the block was covered in sludge and thick nasty stuff. Timing chain and all the oil passages were gunked, so badly that it was unable to be cleaned, so a new block was in call. This is my personal experience.

Quick Reply: 35,xxx WITH NO OIL CHANGE. WHAT DO NOW?