Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Transgo Kit for 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
SharpByCoop

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
No all I have to do is fine one for a 7SPD, Is there one?
Negatory, good buddy. So far there are no mechanical upgrades kits for the 7spd, beyond GTM's soon-to-be-released VB modification.

It won't be a $300 kit install.

Probable labor for this kit installed on a 5AT is about 4-5 hours, plus trans fluid ($150). Plan on around a G-note.

Coop
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I put a transgo kit on a V8 S10 blazer I had. It would leave rubber on the 1-2 shift while getting a little sideways. Definitely added to the fun factor of the vehicle.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Perfect thanx man, No all I have to do is fine one for a 7SPD, Is there one? An after my SC gets rebiult or replaced, YEA something happened to it Friday night or Saturday am, not sure, I have thread going,
ANMVQ,
I saw your thread last night, sorry to hear that you are having problems. I am going to check it tonight to see if you have any updates.

As Coop said, I don't think there is anything out yet for the 7AT but I would think that Sam should have his VB upgrade out soon. I remember reading something about its development in a thread a good while back. I forgot that you were 7AT and not 5AT.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by ColesAircraft
This is good news! The only thing I hate about my G is the lag between 1st and 2nd w/ my AT (couldn't get the manual - I have a wife, so . . . ).

Under $300 for the kit isn't bad - but what's the cost for installation???
The labor for my installation was the same as the labor for the oil cooler install. They have to drop the tranny to do the Transgo install. Although they did not quote me the number of hours for my install Coop is probably about right in his estimate. He knows how involved the process is since he did his install himself. You should take a look at his build thread, it has pictures of some of the process. I was impressed that he took that task on!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 AM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dal1307
The labor for my installation was the same as the labor for the oil cooler install. They have to drop the tranny to do the Transgo install. Although they did not quote me the number of hours for my install Coop is probably about right in his estimate. He knows how involved the process is since he did his install himself. You should take a look at his build thread, it has pictures of some of the process. I was impressed that he took that task on!
The install isn't very complicated, it comes with detailed instructions. You do not have to drop the transmission, you just remove the valve body. Its 3 actuators, 4 springs, and some holes to drill. 2 guys can get it done under 2 hours. I've done several of these.

Tuning the TQ tables if you have an uprev tuner license is simple too, just increase or decrease expected torque figures on the map, and test drive, its very much trial, error, and preference to where you like the line pressure at during a shift.

For anyone that is considering the transgo kit, it is only for drag racing, for anyone that road races or tracks there car on a course, in an aggressive hairpin turn if you're shifting gears at wot you are losing control of the car.

So for those that are the fence about it, the kit isn't for everyone, it all depends on how you are using your car; and since you're drilling the center plate, its irreversible as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still one of my favorite mods and a must have with FI.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sam put the VB on my 7AT. It stiffens up the tranny a bit. I am having it tweaked a bit to make it more performance and less "comfort". Sam says that for my TT setup it was more for longevity of the stock 7AT so it can handle the 500 lbs torque. Otherwise I'd probably be wearing out my tranny in short order with the softness that comes stock.
Overall I'm hoping to be midway between stock (mushy) and performance (teeth shattering) shifts when all the adjustments are done.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 AM
dal1307

Originally Posted by dimsler
For anyone that is considering the transgo kit, it is only for drag racing, for anyone that road races or tracks there car on a course, in an aggressive hairpin turn if you're shifting gears at wot you are losing control of the car.
I would think that one would not be driving through an aggressive hairpin turn at WOT much less shifting under WOT while driving through an aggressive hairpin turn but hey, maybe I just don't know anything about road racing or track driving.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 AM
saparda

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hows you car shifting? I would worried about it banging into gear no?
shifting is FAST! but one thing i hate is the car slips alot when i push her!, the tune improved the shifting dramatically!!

but you think i should go back and tune it again after the install!?

Last edited by saparda; 07-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by saparda
shifting is FAST! but one thing i hate is the car slips alot when i push her!, the tune improved the shifting dramatically!!

but you think i should go back and tune it again after the install!?

I think you should have let the TQ tables alone, Someone else chimmed in above and said they had the tune and the VB, Oh wait that was Coop-has them both
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only Mods are Stillen Gen 3's and a ARK exhuast. I was wondering would it all be worth it, if I Get an Uprev tune and Transgo kit with Oil/tran cooler. I would go SC, But I have almost 80k on the OD.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Nashville G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only mods are the Gen 3 and Ark also and i have it and love it! ive put about 10,000 miles on the kit and love it everyday
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Nashville G!! Now, all I have to do is decide on GTM or Specialty Z??
Old 09-23-2012, 06:51 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
would you guys recommend this mod for daily drivers? can you get this mod done without uprev tune? or is it not recommended?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM
dal1307

Originally Posted by gtracing
would you guys recommend this mod for daily drivers? can you get this mod done without uprev tune? or is it not recommended?
It does not require the uprev tune. I think it would be fine for a DD. If you run in auto and are not really romping on it then it doesn't shift too harshly.

Quick Reply: Review Transgo Kit for 5AT