Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM stage 2 SC installed & question about stroker kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Mkai0

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yikes, makes me wanna add some meth to my setup just for safety reasons.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
brainpa

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not really a surprise that the engine let go under boost in an ambient temp of 122 degrees.

Holy Crap.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 AM
eealessa
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the temp in the day can reach 50C (122F) and in the night it goes down to 30-35C (86-95F).
the engine blowup at 5:00 AM, so the temp was 30-35C i was going to a dyno early in the morning before the sun goes up.

is that temp was too hot? could it be the cause?

and yes i was doing 270kmh (167mph) when i start to lose power so i gradually take my foot off the pedal and after that the oil came on the exhaust from a crack in the crankcase i couldn't see anything behind me and the engine goes off, all that happen in 5 seconds!!

this was my first time above 230kmh and for the record there were so much power left in the G.

i have a question: why there were no any early sings like sounds, vibration, loss in power, ETC... or anything not normal that will make you think twice before going WOT?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Just curious, WHY Where you doing 167MPH,, :/ , 86-95 DEG should not be that bad, But maybe food for thought on their can tune you should have been driving a little more concervativly, An if you had been getting on it like that a lot, I'm not too supprised with the the tune being looked at first, Still six ,still sorry.

You definitly want to look at adjusting when the cooling fans come on + a upgraded Raditor and thermo stat.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Do you have any datalogs, AF readings or IATs from when the explosion happened? Or are you running gauge-less?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
MSIZZLE

that is carnage!, i dont think anyone should question the op for driving his car hard, thats what he boosted it for!!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by MSIZZLE
that is carnage!, i dont think anyone should question the op for driving his car hard, thats what he boosted it for!!

100% with the proper tune, But you always have to remember we have a boosted NA car, internals really arent made for to much,, Yes I get all over mine at times just not all the time,, Just ask Coop, He drove the bjebbes out of his car now has bent rods? Rebuilding also, .. Wasnt giving him any guff either just a thought.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know for a fact Sam's tune is very safe. If your intake temps were that high in general than you should of had early signs of detonation. A small pinging would have probably spun a rod bearing or bent a rod... not disintegrate the motor.

I hope everything gets figured out on your back on the road.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Unfortunately, these motors were not built to take 500HP.

The 3.8 was designed from the ground up to handle twin turbos, not the 3.7
Ever watch the video of the GTR engine build? They blueprint the motor. The best part is watching the engine assembler measure piston clearance, if its not in tolerance, he grabs another, and another, until it is perfect.

No offense to GTM, they build a fine turbo, it's you who makes the decision to install it!!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
eealessa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Just curious, WHY Where you doing 167MPH,, :/ , 86-95 DEG should not be that bad, But maybe food for thought on their can tune you should have been driving a little more concervativly, An if you had been getting on it like that a lot, I'm not too supprised with the the tune being looked at first, Still six ,still sorry.

You definitly want to look at adjusting when the cooling fans come on + a upgraded Raditor and thermo stat.
way doing that speed? its hard to explain !!!!!

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Do you have any datalogs, AF readings or IATs from when the explosion happened? Or are you running gauge-less?
i have AFR & boost gauges and uprev for loging, but at that time the laptop wasn't plugged, and the gauges readings was normal.
that's way i need continuous data logging. do you have any ideas?

Originally Posted by MSIZZLE
thanks, that's right!

Originally Posted by Staples
I know for a fact Sam's tune is very safe. If your intake temps were that high in general than you should of had early signs of detonation. A small pinging would have probably spun a rod bearing or bent a rod... not disintegrate the motor.

I hope everything gets figured out on your back on the road.
i never doubt sam's tune!

i have take the engine a part and there where only two pistons and there connecting rod the other pistons and rod were missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ill post pics or a clip soon
Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 AM
eealessa
Registered Member

here is the link of the internals

Last edited by eealessa; 07-08-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Can you post pictures instead of a video so we can have a closer look?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM
eealessa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Can you post pictures instead of a video so we can have a closer look?
ok but its 300+ pic so here is a link to dropbox folder:

for the first clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3d7kd43s8p2ne7l/tQcrEcnjtj

second clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vb62yqhe1h3g1cz/XrrTaEoXym

sorry for quality of the pic its was taken by iPhone 4s ill try go over there and take some pic's of my friend Nikon D3s

Last edited by eealessa; 07-09-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
eealessa
Registered Member

Hey guys…
just want update you about my vert:

- After discussing with Sam, decide to go with 4.2L long block stroker kit. With some changes based on Sam recommendations to increase the durability of the internals.
-
- GTM return fuel system.
-
- Installing the mith nuzzles to the lower intake manifold.
-
- Upgrading the SC stag2 kit to stage3.
-
- Building the 7AT to stage 4.

Also, some other changes. After finishing the project (I know it’s not gone finish as long as I have myg37.com) I will post a new thread with detailed description on the work.

The work has already begin and I just need to ship the trance to GTM for the build.

Thanks to Sam for being so patent with me, and for helping to choose the best parts and for the great deal.

Last edited by eealessa; 08-10-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a 4.2 long block for sale here. Did you figure out what went wrong though? Looks like GTM kit can go kaboom.

Quick Reply: GTM stage 2 SC installed & question about stroker kit