Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM Performance Engineering: VQ37VHR Engine Build 700HP Power Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
We have all seen what the pulley does with the HR and VHR engines it's not worth putting on without proper calibration of the camshaft( from what I've read on this forum and g35driver). Anyway I am really excited to see where this will go and how GTM will handle it.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
What I saw nothing wrong,. LOL Are you serious, Looks like a BOMB went off, Just breathing mods?? I've seen a a few blown motors in my time and the only time I saw something this , Was when NO2 goes wrong. :/ IN for build I know Sam is going to do this right.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 AM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In for the build
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Hoooolllyyyy!!

I don't think the pulley has anything to do with it, looks like crazy detonation that broke a piston in half.. and at high rev that thing must've shot out of the bottom end like a bullet
Old 06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Enlight
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that is some serious damage, the flywheel bolts completely sheared off? That is some serious force. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but at a glance it actually doesnt look like pre-ignition is the cause for this. Generally with engines that fail from pre-ignition, they show evidence of the phenomenon prior to the actual failure. At the same time the cylinder pressures sky rocket, the temperatures do so as well. The shock and heat literally degrade and melt corners or sharper edges of the aluminium pistons and head. One thing to consider is the torsional vibration or resonance characteristics resulting from the Stillen pulley.

Although a billet pulley is good for reducing rotating inertia, I am a strong believer that they only belong on accessories ( AC, PS etc..) This can get pretty involved physics, wise but in a nut shell, your engine's rotating assembly behaves much in the way that your suspension does. Your car's suspension takes a step input (a bump in the road), the spring stores some of the energy, and the damper dissipates it. This spring-mass-damper system is just like an engine's combustion (the bump in the road), pistons-rods-crank (spring and mass)...but where is the damper?! Most OEM Crank pulleys are not solid metal through and through actually. Most have rubber embedded in them or a viscous fluid. The rubber or fluid is the damper.

This may sound far fetched but you'd be surprised what can happen when the rotating assembly in an engine experiences resonance. It could very well end up looking like that poor engine. In any spring-mass-damper system, if you chance one of the components, you change the response of the system to any input. And hey, these engines operate over a frequency range from 0 to 7500rpm... plenty of room for strange things to happen.

Anyways, absolutely nothing against stillen or anything. Just thought i'd bring awareness to the subject. Lack of tuning/knock is the most common reason for engine failure like that.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In for the build. That's CRAZY!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question from a n00b here, so if one does have the NA combination of intake + HFC + CBE (OEM pulley tho) but does not have a tune performed on the car is there a high percentage chance that something like this could occur? I want to have the car tuned, I just don't have the funds for it right now . I'd rather put back the stock components until I have the funds for the tune or just not drive the car until it is safe to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Mike at GTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xracer
Wow that is some serious damage, the flywheel bolts completely sheared off? That is some serious force. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but at a glance it actually doesnt look like pre-ignition is the cause for this. Generally with engines that fail from pre-ignition, they show evidence of the phenomenon prior to the actual failure. At the same time the cylinder pressures sky rocket, the temperatures do so as well. The shock and heat literally degrade and melt corners or sharper edges of the aluminium pistons and head. One thing to consider is the torsional vibration or resonance characteristics resulting from the Stillen pulley.

Although a billet pulley is good for reducing rotating inertia, I am a strong believer that they only belong on accessories ( AC, PS etc..) This can get pretty involved physics, wise but in a nut shell, your engine's rotating assembly behaves much in the way that your suspension does. Your car's suspension takes a step input (a bump in the road), the spring stores some of the energy, and the damper dissipates it. This spring-mass-damper system is just like an engine's combustion (the bump in the road), pistons-rods-crank (spring and mass)...but where is the damper?! Most OEM Crank pulleys are not solid metal through and through actually. Most have rubber embedded in them or a viscous fluid. The rubber or fluid is the damper.

This may sound far fetched but you'd be surprised what can happen when the rotating assembly in an engine experiences resonance. It could very well end up looking like that poor engine. In any spring-mass-damper system, if you chance one of the components, you change the response of the system to any input. And hey, these engines operate over a frequency range from 0 to 7500rpm... plenty of room for strange things to happen.

Anyways, absolutely nothing against stillen or anything. Just thought i'd bring awareness to the subject. Lack of tuning/knock is the most common reason for engine failure like that.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Mike at GTM

Originally Posted by hinomura
Question from a n00b here, so if one does have the NA combination of intake + HFC + CBE (OEM pulley tho) but does not have a tune performed on the car is there a high percentage chance that something like this could occur? I want to have the car tuned, I just don't have the funds for it right now . I'd rather put back the stock components until I have the funds for the tune or just not drive the car until it is safe to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.
For future reference, you might consider factoring a tune into your build budget from the beginning. While there's no guarantee that things can't go wrong with mild bolt-ons, it's one of those "better safe than sorry" kind of things.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome over Mike!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Mike at GTM

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Welcome over Mike!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike at GTM
For future reference, you might consider factoring a tune into your build budget from the beginning. While there's no guarantee that things can't go wrong with mild bolt-ons, it's one of those "better safe than sorry" kind of things.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting it done at the earliest opportunity.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
abice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is crazy and scary at the same time because like 60% of us are running close to the same set up, I know I am (tp, stillen g3, cbe) but I have it Uprev tuned, I was running lean at first with the intake on but the Uprev guys fixed that. I am very curious to know how this car was driven though, I try and take it easy on my car but we all know there is time we like to get into it, I can't wait to see the finish product on this build
Old 07-22-2012, 02:33 AM
JbabsG37
Registered Member

Bump. How's that 700hp monster coming along?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:55 AM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Xracer

Very informative. Thank you for taking the time to shed a bit of light on this.

Originally Posted by Mike at GTM
Nice to see you on here Mike. I'll be following this thread closely.

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering: VQ37VHR Engine Build 700HP Power Package