Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Unorthodox Racing Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
jmurbas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unorthodox Racing Pulleys

Has any sedan owner installed the crank and/or alternator pulleys?

I pulled the trigger on these but havent received / installed yet and just wondered if they showed as an improvement on a dyno or just by feel?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
GET_SOME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had light weight pulleys on my previous car and would recomend staying away from the crank pulley.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 PM
jmurbas

Originally Posted by GET_SOME
i had light weight pulleys on my previous car and would recomend staying away from the crank pulley.
Well, why weren't you in my head before I ordered them?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
GET_SOME

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol sorry.. the alt. pulley should be a nice touch and free up a few ponies though. im not sure exactly how our power steering system works but if its belt driven like the other accesories, maybe you can trade the crank pulley for power steering
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Chris Talley

jmurbas, did you ever install the crank &/or underdrive pulley's? how did it turn out, i know this thread is little old but just wanted to see how it went.

thanks,
Chris
Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 PM
jmurbas

No still have them with belt in box. If you are interested PM me an offer.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Chris Talley

unable to pm

hey, i tried to send you a pm but got this message:

jmurbas has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot except further messages until they clear some space. lmk when i can send you a pm

thanks,

CT
Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm 99% sure I'm going to get the crank and alternator pulley set from Unorthodox Racing. The crank pulley will be OEM size so no under driving, just lighter weight for both which should help the engine rev faster and put a little more power to the wheels. I had UR crank and alt pulleys on an old Acura TL and that pulley was under driven and I had no issues. Given that this pulley is OEM sized I highly doubt I'll experience any side affects at all. Is anyone running this pulley set in their cars now? If so what have been your experiences.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I'm 99% sure I'm going to get the crank and alternator pulley set from Unorthodox Racing. The crank pulley will be OEM size so no under driving, just lighter weight for both which should help the engine rev faster and put a little more power to the wheels. I had UR crank and alt pulleys on an old Acura TL and that pulley was under driven and I had no issues. Given that this pulley is OEM sized I highly doubt I'll experience any side affects at all. Is anyone running this pulley set in their cars now? If so what have been your experiences.
Not sure about those specifically, but many members are running the NST Pulley Set, at least on the370z forum.

Mine are being installed at this moment
Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I had a lightweight, OEM-diameter crank pulley from Unorthodox Racing in my last car (2003 Maxima SE 6MT). As ROI goes for this mod, it's pretty poor; notwithstanding the WTF moment when you're holding the OEM pulley in one hand, with the LW pulley in the other. The difference is pretty dramatic from that POV.

As for noticing the mod, you will probably think that your engine is revving with less restriction when at idle, but in gear, not so much. And in less than a day it becomes indistinguishable from however you think you remembered what it was like.

I've read where if you mod a NA engine with FI, and tune it so the engine revs higher, the LW crank pulley can be a serious problem, and there's a situation where you actually want a *heavier* crank pulley, to offset a resonance situation that isn't there stock.

However, for most of us here... it's just bragging rights. Have at it.

Personally, I'm not planning on this mod for my 6MT.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:28 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Are any of these pulleys being discussed harmonically dampened? I've always stayed away from crank pulleys that do not have any form of a harmonic dampener. I've seen way too many crank bearing failures thanks to a LW pulley.
The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (01-21-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Not sure about those specifically, but many members are running the NST Pulley Set, at least on the370z forum.

Mine are being installed at this moment
thanks let me know how it turns out for you. are you doing a before and after dyne like you've been doing after you add other mods?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
conquistador
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
What about these "engine" dampers from Stillen?

Stillen Engine Damper - G35Driver

All the vq35 guys swear by it... But none available for vq37
Old 01-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I had a lightweight, OEM-diameter crank pulley from Unorthodox Racing in my last car (2003 Maxima SE 6MT). As ROI goes for this mod, it's pretty poor; notwithstanding the WTF moment when you're holding the OEM pulley in one hand, with the LW pulley in the other. The difference is pretty dramatic from that POV.

As for noticing the mod, you will probably think that your engine is revving with less restriction when at idle, but in gear, not so much. And in less than a day it becomes indistinguishable from however you think you remembered what it was like.

I've read where if you mod a NA engine with FI, and tune it so the engine revs higher, the LW crank pulley can be a serious problem, and there's a situation where you actually want a *heavier* crank pulley, to offset a resonance situation that isn't there stock.

However, for most of us here... it's just bragging rights. Have at it.

Personally, I'm not planning on this mod for my 6MT.

I know what you mean about the huge weight difference between the pulleys. If I go FI in the future I would install the OEM pulley as I've heard the same thing, but on a NA motor like ours it should be safe. Also correct me if I'm wrong but our motors are internally balanced and there is no harmonic balancer on the stock crank pulley.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks let me know how it turns out for you. are you doing a before and after dyne like you've been doing after you add other mods?
Well yes. But this before and after would be with test pipes instead of RHFCs (broke so I had to urgently swap), lightweight wheels and NST pulleys.

Quick Reply: Unorthodox Racing Pulleys