Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Pan bolts Help/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM
darkmatter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Pan bolts Help/question

I have identified 2 bolts that will not tighten all the way, I assume the bolt holes will have to be retreaded? what are the options?

I am able to take it to a local Nissan dealer (no Infiniti dealer available) who may have the parts readily available or to a regular imports mechanic in my area. I am not sure which would do a better job

Anyone ever need to do this?

Some history:

My G37S has the GTM Stage 2 twin turbo which was installed by the previous owner. So I have been having issues with my oil pan for sometime. Last work on it done was the oil pan had been taken completely off, cleaned in and out, the old rtv and gaskets removed and later replaced with new rtv and gasket.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
So, one of the mounting holes for the oil pain has a hole that is stripped? If that's the case, yes you will need to re-tap the holes. No need for a dealership to do this. If you don't feel comfortable buying a tap and doing the job yourself, take it to any competent mechanic or automotive machine shop. It's not a particularly difficult job and shouldn't be expensive.

OT: Where in TX? Coming to NISMO Fiesta this weekend in San Antonio?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM
darkmatter

Originally Posted by Black Betty
So, one of the mounting holes for the oil pain has a hole that is stripped? If that's the case, yes you will need to re-tap the holes. No need for a dealership to do this. If you don't feel comfortable buying a tap and doing the job yourself, take it to any competent mechanic or automotive machine shop. It's not a particularly difficult job and shouldn't be expensive.

OT: Where in TX? Coming to NISMO Fiesta this weekend in San Antonio?
There are 2 bolts that don't tighten all the way. I figured my local mechanic can do it. Thanks

I live way up north in Amarillo my friend. If i had time I would gladly put my car on a trailer and drive down :-)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, that means you'll have to remove the oil pan once again. You should consider buying all new bolts and start fresh, maybe even get a oil pan spacer to cope with the Texas heat too.

You can also use "Time Serts" if rethreading can't be done.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
darkmatter

Decided to do this on my own first, I had a hell of a time finding the bolts for the oil pan online. Finally find them at nissan site for $3.80 a pop. Ordered 5 just in case.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
juicybusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A timecert is the best wat to repair your issue.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Weiboy718

Yeah OP! Be sure to have everything you need to repair that before dropping your pan
Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to do the repair without removing the pan as long as the end of the hole isn't located in the crank case.
A "timecert" or Helicoil is really your only option as if the current threads are not sufficient to hold the torque of the pan bolt running a tap through it won't help at this point.
Take it to a decent independent shop to get it taken care of, even though your tapping alloy I've seen these simple tasks go south quick so think twice about doing it yourself or having a "buddy" do it. Going to a State Licensed shop with insurance will cover your a$$ if something goes wrong.
Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM
darkmatter

Originally Posted by mikelr
You should be able to do the repair without removing the pan as long as the end of the hole isn't located in the crank case.
A "timecert" or Helicoil is really your only option as if the current threads are not sufficient to hold the torque of the pan bolt running a tap through it won't help at this point.
Take it to a decent independent shop to get it taken care of, even though your tapping alloy I've seen these simple tasks go south quick so think twice about doing it yourself or having a "buddy" do it. Going to a State Licensed shop with insurance will cover your a$$ if something goes wrong.
Good Luck!
\

I am still waiting for the damn bolts from the first order and have decided just to call a Nissan dealer 6hours away to ship me some to hopefully have them by this weekend.

I am only going to see if I can remove the bolts and see if the new ones fit better, if they don't off to the shop it goes just because I won't have the equipment or experience to do it properly if the holes need to be fitted with helicoil or the other options mentioned.

Thanks for your comments, I will update on final results.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Weiboy718

Is it leaking oil?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 AM
darkmatter

Ok, so their were 2 loose bolts on the pan that the shop fixed with helicoils. All is well again. On to my projects that were on hold.

Thanks for all the comments.