Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Manual transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
If you live in an area with insane inclines then you either learn how to modulate the clutch very quickly, or you get an auto.

Interestingly, I have no issue with inclines on the bike, even really steep ones, but in the car it's a whole lot more challenging.

On a bike you can still use the front brake to hold.

Hill Assist is a great technology and would make mediocre MT drivers better. It's the one "aid" I think is missing from this car.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
visualguy

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Steep hill starts aren't the big issue - it's just an example of where manual transmission sucks.

The bigger picture is that I can't shift manually nearly as well and as rapidly as the 7AT. I am very impressed by the 7AT on my 2012 G37. The only thing that disturbs me a little bit is that when I press the accelerator more than a certain amount quickly, the transmission may decide to downshift, and then I get a serious speed boost that may be more than I was looking for. It's easier to control this with the manual transmission.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Beer Magazine

MT doesn't suck at all...but to each his own. We all can't be right.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
My music must not have been loud today.

Driving some relatively technical roads with the stereo off, mainly in 3rd/4th gear, I hear this annoying whine from about 2K - 3K rpm. Increases in pitch when accelerating, decreases when slowing down, and steady if at a steady rpm. In higher gears, the road noise drowns this out and it's not as obvious.

The car is a 2012 6mt sedan which just turned 4K miles (not bad for 7 months). 100% stock in terms of engine ecu/intake/exhaust and no mods to the trans other than the pedal spring. Normally I drive at lower rpms if in the city, or higher speeds when on the highway. Either way, this is really the first time I noticed this whine. It's not super loud, but with the radio off can be heard quite well. Seems to go away above 3K rpm, but is really pretty much present in every gear.

Is this noise typical and characteristic of this engine/trans, or do I need to waste time at the dealer?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
My music must not have been loud today.

Driving some relatively technical roads with the stereo off, mainly in 3rd/4th gear, I hear this annoying whine from about 2K - 3K rpm. Increases in pitch when accelerating, decreases when slowing down, and steady if at a steady rpm. In higher gears, the road noise drowns this out and it's not as obvious.

The car is a 2012 6mt sedan which just turned 4K miles (not bad for 7 months). 100% stock in terms of engine ecu/intake/exhaust and no mods to the trans other than the pedal spring. Normally I drive at lower rpms if in the city, or higher speeds when on the highway. Either way, this is really the first time I noticed this whine. It's not super loud, but with the radio off can be heard quite well. Seems to go away above 3K rpm, but is really pretty much present in every gear.

Is this noise typical and characteristic of this engine/trans, or do I need to waste time at the dealer?
I am having the same exact issue that you are describing. I took it to the dealer and they said that isn't normal, dealer ordered me a new transmission.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
CMBurns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW
My 08 MT has notably improved after adding a new clutch spring, new OEM MC and ZSpeed HD CSC. The only issue I have now is that 4th is balky sometimes.

Still not a great trans/clutch combo, but no worse than my one BMW. My hondas have all been waaay better.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
At the very least one should change both the transmission and clutch fluids, as they are wear items.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I have had a 6MT and a 7AT and while they were both below par for my standards, I think the 6mt was more livable.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
skeener

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WannabeSport
I have had a 6MT and a 7AT and while they were both below par for my standards, I think the 6mt was more livable.
I don't doubt that. Infiniti should benchmark a 6MT Miata clutch/shifter/gearbox - very rewarding.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
stockae92
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the '08 G35S 6MT, one thing about the clutch is that it fell significantly better after the clutch fluid was changed.

The shift itself doesn't like to be rushed. But the engagement is positive. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. As long as my knee is ok with pressing the clutch pedal, I will take that over 5/7AT.

All manufacturers should benchmark Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata to see how to do a MT clutch / transmission right. The application is slightly different though because of the hp / tq difference. I assume higher hp and tq needs more heavy duty clutch / transmission for reliability.

Side note, the last gen BMW M3, though the travel of the clutch pedal and shift are long, but they are very easy to use, given the high power application.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ok got my car back after transmission was replaced and it is not whining from 1st gear through 3rd anymore. Also, while in neutral with the clutch pedal up (relasesd) the marble gargle sounds is gone.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:09 AM
ABg
Registered Member

Talking on an old thread but felt like I should just go ahead and comment. I used to drive a 2011 sedan 7at. Now I have a 09 G37S 6mt. The auto can still give you a great time. Shifts are pretty quick, but not too incredibly responsive to imput when driving in M mode. I recently got my coupe 6mt about 2 months ago and I love it. Yes, it is not forgiving. You really have to be perfect with your footwork. I actually drove it over 1110 miles home from Evans Georgia all the way to Kansas. A 17 hour drive with only stops were for food and gas. I did it just fine driving through some crazy traffic in ATL, Nashville, St. Louis, ans KC. I am also 17 by the way. Its my 1st manual car as well. Ive learned manual from driving friend's cars. Point is, it's not impossible, and wasn't too difficult all. I love manual. This G is way more fun than my auto one. That is my opinion though. I feel like auto guys will like and prefer auto, and the manual guys will always like ans prefer manual. Great car either way. It suits many different needs ans interests.