Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

newby here FI questions.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
kingdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newby here FI questions.

Howdy ya'll. Soon to be owner of a g37 s coupe. Things pretty sweet,, especially for all the luxury amenities it has. I already have a Lexus and I'm surprised at how close the interior came to that level of froofy-ness.
But I'm thinking of buying the car more because of the tuner angle. Sadly, tuning opportunities for the Lex are few and way overpriced, especially for f-sport products.
So I came here to talk to you guys about the tuning opportunities for you (and possibly my new) g37's. I've seen 800+ hp models on the track and I've even got put in my place by a mystery g37 on the ighway (I live in the tacoma WA, area. If you stomped a blue lexus is350 on I5-N and drive a matte black g37 s Then screw you lol jk jk) So I know there's power for cash opportunites out there. I've dropped more than 20k into a supra in my past so I'm not afraid to lay down the cash if its worth it (Gotta pay to play)
I've also already run a search in your forum for Turbo/turbocharged, supercharged, FI and Forced Induction and didn't get much back So I was wondering what you guys have to say. On my lex, any sort of aftermarket FI would cut out a LOT of my luxury amenities (Unless you wanna spend 15k on JUST the parts for the supercharger and only gain 10hp at the crank)

FI-
Do I risk losing my nav, power seats, luxury stuff with a TC/SC kit?
Hows the block handle boost?
How up to the task are the stock internals?
Not exactly a FI question: What's the torque curve like for you guys? It will determine my choice between a SC and TC.

Transmission-
(Model I'm looking at is an AT, don't hate, they last longer) Can the transmission
handle the power output?
Got any gear for reducing shift times?

ECU-
What common CELs and ECU issues do you guys see?
Can A/F be adjusted through tuning?
Any chance of adding RPMS safely? (Not likely I know don't laugh)
any way to adjust shift points?

Now before you guys blow me off as a power-hog I'm only asking about powertrain iperformance first because my suspension/brakes/tire setup will accomodate the level of power I choose/am able to achieve.

thanks in advance for any help, in the meantime I'll keep searching the forum. DOMODOMO
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Time to head over to the FI section.

Are you serious about getting a suspension/brake/tire setup that will accommodate the level of power you think you want? A better way to go about it is to state your budget and what you're willing to set aside as a "oh ****" fund, and I can tell you how much power you can reasonably achieve.

Are you willing to do meth/water/nitrous? How small or large spoolup threshold are you willing to put up with? Are you willing to modify body panels? Noise?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM
TSG37

why not go with the M3?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing for sure is you'll get to keep all the nice stuff the G has even after being FI'ed. You may even use the factory screen to view digital gauges.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
kingdavid

Originally Posted by Mike
Time to head over to the FI section.

Are you serious about getting a suspension/brake/tire setup that will accommodate the level of power you think you want? A better way to go about it is to state your budget and what you're willing to set aside as a "oh ****" fund, and I can tell you how much power you can reasonably achieve.

Are you willing to do meth/water/nitrous? How small or large spoolup threshold are you willing to put up with? Are you willing to modify body panels? Noise?

It's a labor of love man so cash itself isn't a HUGE deal. Let's say For the powertrain alone I can drop ten grand before I start to get twitchy (again, so long as the gains are worth it) Do I want to? Probably not. I'de think I should be able to get good gains from seven grand give or take a K.

My oh SH** fund, well I've been fortunate enough to have an OH sh** fund as a constant for a few years now. Furthermore, I AM serious about accomodating my power with my suspension. I'm taking this approach because I spent a ridiculous amount upgrading my upgrades because the sheer power of the car (98 supra) was just too much for it in the twisties (yes you can do twisites in a supra) So I wanna avoid that if I can. Also, I've got a few remnants of other suspension mods boxed and I want to utilize them as much as possile before I start buying more stuff but that will depend on wether I go for over or under 500 hp+ (probably under)

Honestly my biggest concern is transmission and ECU. While a lot of FI setups aren't ideal, any safe boost is good boost and It'll just be a matter of fine tuning to get the power I need.

"Why don't you get an M-3"
Because my favorite thing in the world is wiping the smile of M owners faces as I cruise past them in my little lexus/toyota w/e. Additionally I've owned an 650I and it was nice...but There was no personal sense of accomplishment in it..and I felt like everyone was looking at me like I was another bmw A**hole...which, I was.

Editand where is this FI section? I've typed FI into the search and I get nada...am I f*^&ing up?edit

Last edited by kingdavid; 02-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
kingdavid

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
One thing for sure is you'll get to keep all the nice stuff the G has even after being FI'ed. You may even use the factory screen to view digital gauges.
Really? That's a load off my mind. Is that because the ECU has been cracked or that it just doesn't speak CAN? I'm guessing the former if you can run boost sensors through your dash.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
kingdavid

Originally Posted by kingdavid
Editand where is this FI section? I've typed FI into the search and I get nada...am I f*^&ing up?edit
Correction I found it. I figured there'd be a FI section for each platform, my bad.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Mike

It's a labor of love man so cash itself isn't a HUGE deal. Let's say For the powertrain alone I can drop ten grand before I start to get twitchy (again, so long as the gains are worth it) Do I want to? Probably not. I'de think I should be able to get good gains from seven grand give or take a K.

My oh SH** fund, well I've been fortunate enough to have an OH sh** fund as a constant for a few years now. Furthermore, I AM serious about accomodating my power with my suspension. I'm taking this approach because I spent a ridiculous amount upgrading my upgrades because the sheer power of the car (98 supra) was just too much for it in the twisties (yes you can do twisites in a supra) So I wanna avoid that if I can. Also, I've got a few remnants of other suspension mods boxed and I want to utilize them as much as possile before I start buying more stuff but that will depend on wether I go for over or under 500 hp+ (probably under)

Honestly my biggest concern is transmission and ECU. While a lot of FI setups aren't ideal, any safe boost is good boost and It'll just be a matter of fine tuning to get the power I need.

"Why don't you get an M-3"
Because my favorite thing in the world is wiping the smile of M owners faces as I cruise past them in my little lexus/toyota w/e. Additionally I've owned an 650I and it was nice...but There was no personal sense of accomplishment in it..and I felt like everyone was looking at me like I was another bmw A**hole...which, I was.

If you just want to do occasional freeway pulls you can do it with less than 10k, assuming you do the labor yourself.

If you want to do it right (aka how I would build the car if it were mine), I'd budget closer to 30k.

I'll tell you right now, that every booted VQ37 on this board (and others) is not driven as hard as the owners would like to believe. The engine runs HOT and needs a disproportionate (extra 50% or more) amount of cooling for any given level of power to be able to maintain the power. Even novices at the track all typically hit limp mode on their first or second session out, on STOCK output with a STOCK engine. Most of these guys have oil coolers from Stillen or GTM. You've done high-hp builds, so you know how important cooling is.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Weiboy718

Really? That's a load off my mind. Is that because the ECU has been cracked or that it just doesn't speak CAN? I'm guessing the former if you can run boost sensors through your dash.
all of the G models comes with a stock screen whether you have Nav package or not and you can actually use the screen for your digital gauges with an AUX modulator. it has nothing to do with your ECU in this matter. here's a sample of my setup.

HKS CAMP 2

here's the link for the Forced Induction Section
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...induction-309/
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
kingdavid

Originally Posted by Mike
If you just want to do occasional freeway pulls you can do it with less than 10k, assuming you do the labor yourself.

If you want to do it right (aka how I would build the car if it were mine), I'd budget closer to 30k.

I'll tell you right now, that every booted VQ37 on this board (and others) is not driven as hard as the owners would like to believe. The engine runs HOT and needs a disproportionate (extra 50% or more) amount of cooling for any given level of power to be able to maintain the power. Even novices at the track all typically hit limp mode on their first or second session out, on STOCK output with a STOCK engine. Most of these guys have oil coolers from Stillen or GTM. You've done high-hp builds, so you know how important cooling is.
More or less (and forgive me for not specifying) It's gonna be a DD that I want to be able to handle a coupel days playing on the track or the Dragons tail. Hence a 450-500 hp mark. The tracks I like to run have a lot of low speed turns with sprints in between and you're going for time,, not a 1st place finish.

So intercooled S/C it is. Which I'm actually pleased with, I prefer the tactility and immediacy of S/C's over T/C's and I'm excited to try prochargers self-lubricating head unit.

Are you talking 30k for JUST powerplant modification? That's and insane build man, I mean serious track day stuff. That's more than I poured into my supra which had a K of hp at the crank dude. What am I missing that makes up another 15k? The platform seems pretty straight forward...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM
kingdavid

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
all of the G models comes with a stock screen whether you have Nav package or not and you can actually use the screen for your digital gauges with an AUX modulator. it has nothing to do with your ECU in this matter. here's a sample of my setup.

HKS CAMP 2

here's the link for the Forced Induction Section
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction - MyG37
I was more worried about the possibility of nothing but my gauges working. In my lex it's SUPER difficult to much in the way of adding power (which on that platform usually means an engine swap) without losing almost all your luxury amenities. The same applies to the 37 to an extent I'm sure but the VQ seems like it handles boost a lot better than the 2gr so an all out engine swap won't be necessary.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
kingdavid

Though, Looking more into this it seems almost like I should try looking for a standard G 37 coupe and use my own parts. I've already got a big brake kit (Im assuming a 350z.s brake kit will fit) and eibach coilovers, no LSD But that's not a big deal, I don't need or want paddle shifters, Seats...well it depends on what the regulard coupe is rockin for saddles, I'm swapping rims out anyway, and the pedals well...who cares. Is there anything I'm missing? Other than some facia and trim options which I don't really care about.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Mike

More or less (and forgive me for not specifying) It's gonna be a DD that I want to be able to handle a coupel days playing on the track or the Dragons tail. Hence a 450-500 hp mark. The tracks I like to run have a lot of low speed turns with sprints in between and you're going for time,, not a 1st place finish.

So intercooled S/C it is. Which I'm actually pleased with, I prefer the tactility and immediacy of S/C's over T/C's and I'm excited to try prochargers self-lubricating head unit.

Are you talking 30k for JUST powerplant modification? That's and insane build man, I mean serious track day stuff. That's more than I poured into my supra which had a K of hp at the crank dude. What am I missing that makes up another 15k? The platform seems pretty straight forward...
30k would be for everything.

S/C kit ~8k
EMS ~2k
Tuning ~1k
Injectors ~500
Spark plugs ~100
test pipes ~300
Radiator ~400
Oil cooler (massive MASSIVE cooler, I'm talking radiator size) ~1000
Oil bypass filter ~300
accusump ~300
gauges ~400-1000
Sensors/probes (oil temp, oil pressure, EGT x6, AFR, Boost, water temp) ~500-1500
vented hood ~2000
louvered underbody tray ~500-1000
front splitter ~400
trans cooler ~300
Shift kit ~500
LSD ~3000
diff cooler ~300
quality coilovers ~8000
camber arms ~300

Comes out to about 30k, give or take.

This doesn't include any safety equipment or labor. I'm a little more serious than your average spirited driver

What I think are absolute essentials for an occasional track day car are in bold.

Do you have any links to your previous build so that I can get a better idea of what exactly you want? It's easy to give any car a lot of power, but I like cars that handle too, and a lot of supra owners forget that aspect because its SO easy to make power.

Last edited by Mike; 02-08-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Those numbers look off quite a bit. Injectors and EMS are part of the S/C kit. So that's $2300 saved. What kind of coilovers costs 8000? I think KW V3 or TEIN mono should be plenty for tracking, and those are around 2000.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Weiboy718

Though, Looking more into this it seems almost like I should try looking for a standard G 37 coupe and use my own parts. I've already got a big brake kit (Im assuming a 350z.s brake kit will fit) and eibach coilovers, no LSD But that's not a big deal, I don't need or want paddle shifters, Seats...well it depends on what the regulard coupe is rockin for saddles, I'm swapping rims out anyway, and the pedals well...who cares. Is there anything I'm missing? Other than some facia and trim options which I don't really care about.
the front 350Z's coilovers will not fit the G37 nor the 370Z 100%. the rears look promising though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: newby here FI questions.