Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What transmission is on the 2008 G37 Coupe Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37S-OONER
So your telling me that the G37S I have with everything the Sport has with one exception.

Tiptronic 5 SP Automatic Tranny

instead of 6MT

Your going to call that a Journey? You people amaze me.

Well its a zebra, but one of the stripes seems off?
That is the way Infiniti sets the models. The 6MT is always a sport, the 5/7 AT's were only Sports if that option was ordered. Don't believe any of us, go to infiniti.com and select "build your G coupe". My AT 08 was an S, and my AT 11 vert is as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to highlight this Car and Driver article.... I cut out the best part should you not want to read it all. The Automatic tiptronic Tranny was an OPTION for the Sport Model. Its a Sport with one extra (more $$) option than your 6MT. Funny some of you say "its just a journey with a bunch of add ons"

Well an M3 is just a 330 with tons of add ons if you want to use that mentality.

Performance

"Our test car came with the Sport package, which is standard with the six-speed manual and optional with the automatic transmission"
might want to re-read that quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to highlight this Car and Driver article.... I cut out the best part should you not want to read it all. The Automatic tiptronic Tranny was an OPTION for the Sport Model. Its a Sport with one extra (more $$) option than your 6MT. Funny some of you say "its just a journey with a bunch of add ons"

Well an M3 is just a 330 with tons of add ons if you want to use that mentality.

Performance

"Our test car came with the Sport package, which is standard with the six-speed manual and optional with the automatic transmission"
I'm pretty certain you read that out of context. It means that the sport package is standard when you have a 6MT and optional when you have a 5AT. As in the package is the subject of the sentence, not the transmissions.

Trust me, I remember this quite clearly when I bought my car back in 07. The website showed three distinct offerings: Base, Journey, and Sport. The Sport model required a 6MT and there was no 5AT option.

Don't take it as an insult, we're not saying one car is better than the other. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a 5AT right now...for one, it'd be a lot easier to resell. But that's just how Infiniti markets their cars. If you even go to the website right now, that's how it's done.
2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe Models and Pricing | Infiniti USA Official Site
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
G37S-OONER
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.... you guys win....

rofl
Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
DashKid
Banned

@sooner

It's ok bro. Some of us are not that smart when it comes to cars. People don't know the difference with sport and journey.

They call it journey. We call it Sport 5AT and Sport 6MT. Don't break a vain and let's go back to the useless thread.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
TaccoDawg

So your telling me that the G37S I have with everything the Sport has with one exception.

Tiptronic 5 SP Automatic Tranny

instead of 6MT

Your going to call that a Journey? You people amaze me.

Well its a zebra, but one of the stripes seems off?
Damn, I can't stand this! I was SOOO confused when I started shopping for my G. May I suggest that the confusion is from dealer vs manufacturer installed options? The Sport package is a manufacturer option on the auto trans and it REQUIRES the journey package upgrade. It's standard on the 6MT. Any "sport" on a base is a dealer or after market BS trip. What I learned looking at about a zillion Auto Trader and Craig's, etc. listings is check the brake calipers for the solid surface and infinity logo, the paddle shifters on the steering wheel and the "S" badge on the back. I don't know how many "sports" I saw with nothing but the wheel upgrade.

The "S" unless you are actually racing it is a very heavy upgrade. Suspension, steering ratio, transmission tuning, and maybe some exhaust tweaks? I've had the straight G as a loaner. It's no where near the same car. My son in law was way pissed when he drove mine. He had already bought the straight G sedan. So let me leave it with his quote:

"It isn't the same car!"

I hope this helps clear the fog. And as for the cost of an S version I came from american cars where a "sport" badge said "I don't know where to put my money" - to this baby where you can't come within a mile of bang for the buck with this upgrade. If you want a track car start with something that doesn't say "infiniti" cause that is too heavy. If you want an elegant blend of performance (real frigging kill yourself very quickly if you don't know what you're doing performance) and luxury, this is one of three brands you need to look at.

I'm just a poor N Ga redneck so I was stuck on used and maintenance costs. So the G won over the BMW 335i. Won't buy a used car with a blower.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 09 x coupe awd with stock 18s. what would you guys say is 0-60 and the quarter mile time for my car?

I never tracked it or anything so not sure
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Omg 3 pages of BS from a bunch of wet behind the ear noobes!!

Why are you buying a 5 year old car?? I bet you are in school! If so go buy something Reliable! If you can't buy a 2010 or 2009! Then you can't afford the car!

Finish up school and buy Somethng nice!

Omg 3 pages of just BS about 5at vs 7at!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
^ old thread - let it go
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
^ old thread - let it go
Lol right.... But gt whats wrong with buying a 5 yr old car ??
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by g37nyc1015
thinking of buying a G37 60k miles, pretty cheap from what I see.

After reading many things, I realize that the G37 from 2008 with the 5AT is pretty sluggish, and just bad on gas mileage. Its 2012, I really do not want a 5speed.

My question is I thought all Sport models came with a 6MT, was the 2008 model made with a 6AT when equipped with the sports package?

thank you
Having driven my 2008 G37S with 5AT for a year and then driving a 2012 G37S with 7AT during my last maintenance, I can say that the 7AT is perkier than the 5AT. It does a much better job of keeping the engine in the power zone versus the 5AT which does its best. On the open highway, you probably couldn't tell the difference; but in traffic or city driving, the constant gear hunting of the 5AT is irritating. I can't say that the newer car with more gears is any faster; but it comes out of corners with less forethought than the 5AT. There are techniques you employ to work around the shortcomings of the transmission; but this is common to all cars. Mileage is a toss up. Both cars get between 22 - 26 which isn't better than my 4.6L Mustang so I can't say people are buying the G37 for fuel economy. Having said that, I've definately got a date with a tuner regarding the 5AT this year
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
Omg 3 pages of BS from a bunch of wet behind the ear noobes!!

Why are you buying a 5 year old car?? I bet you are in school! If so go buy something Reliable! If you can't buy a 2010 or 2009! Then you can't afford the car!

Finish up school and buy Somethng nice!

Omg 3 pages of just BS about 5at vs 7at!
Hey, I just bought my 2008 last year. Im 49 years old and don't appreciate being called wet behind the ears because I have a problem paying a 10% surcharge for driving a new car off the lot. I like paying cash for my car and avoiding car payments and interest. Ive never bought a new car and never will so stop ragging on the guy for being frugal
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 AM
Iplcarbon

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Hey, I just bought my 2008 last year. Im 49 years old and don't appreciate being called wet behind the ears because I have a problem paying a 10% surcharge for driving a new car off the lot. I like paying cash for my car and avoiding car payments and interest. Ive never bought a new car and never will so stop ragging on the guy for being frugal
So me Being 41 buying a 12G says what???
I'm not?
I cant help but like new supple leather on my tender ****...new smell of a New G...Ahh freshness...

Sorry seen all this has to toss my. 02¢ and get a laugh...

But the leather is Supple though...lmao
Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
BUMP - I was searching around trying to find some specs. Does the 5AT in the 2008 have the same specs and bell housing etc as say, an 2005 5AT or do they change over the years? I have a Sport with Paddle shifters and am planning to send my trans off to be built up a bit for the turbo and would prefer to just send them a spare trans instead. AKA, will any year 5AT bolt up to my 37HR motor or do they differ year to year?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Goose1976

Originally Posted by tbone12
2008 models either came with a 5AT or a 6MT
I have a 2008 base g37 with 7At???wtf???

Quick Reply: What transmission is on the 2008 G37 Coupe Sport