Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Shift difference between D and DS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
37driver
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift difference between D and DS.

I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to by searching. When I'm driving my 08 G37S in drive it downshifts fine. However, when I change to DS without use of the paddle shifters and I come to a stop, the transmission downshifts what I would say is quite abruptly from 3-2-1.
What I would like to know is if this is considered normal or not when your in DS mode. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think so, the goal is to keep it in a higher RPM so you can speed back up quickly.

However, I've always been afraid of cornering when that downshift happens. Seems like the rear end would break loose.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:40 PM
jorwick

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Correct on the abrupt downshift. DS is more aggressive and as some would say akward too as you are describing with the down shifting.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:25 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rather drive in D or M. I see no point on driving DS mode other than annoy the hell out of you. I mean even on the freeway the car wants to hold fourth gear forever.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Yep, as stated by tinsley and jorwick, ds is "drive sport" a more aggressive shift mode. It's fun to play around in.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:47 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
I rather drive in D or M. I see no point on driving DS mode other than annoy the hell out of you. I mean even on the freeway the car wants to hold fourth gear forever.
You're listening to a guy who drove into a fence and killed a hog on the street, Lol JK!

Well explained.. Drive in D or M mode, is better than DS.. 4th gear feeels foreverrrrrrr
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I only drive in DS mode when I think I might want the higher RPM's before shifting ... aka "getting on it". The downshift reminds me of someone starting to learn how to drive a manual tranny.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 AM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You CANNOT drive in D or DS really aggressively in the twisties as youcant tell when its goingto up/downshift on you at tyhe worst time.

In city in DS it gets ridiculous as well as the trans doesnt know what the hell it wants to do either sometimes but after a year of driving the car occasionally I just leave it in D as its much better than DS. The way I am used to driving, the auto just isnt right for a car like this unless you baby it.

On some backroads I had several close calls of losing control with car deciding on its own when to up/downshift and you have to use the paddles and even then you better be careful as paddles dont even shift when you want them to instantly and there is a 1K+ lag on the shift timing.

D and DS are just for cruising and light throttle on the backroad twisties and I dont notice a whole lot of difference between the 2 cept for higher rpms for shifting and downshifting.
I hate the paddle shifters at WOT as well as you still dont know when its going to shift and it just keeps on winding up when sometimes I dont wanna shift that high depending on situation.

This car with its automatic wasnt meant to be drivin really hard on road courses or backroad twisties but it can be done as long as you dont drive it like you stole it which is no fun in any car.

Last edited by 2008G37s; 11-04-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^Manual trans ftw!! Seriously, this was the big put off in the last auto I had ('11 kia optima s[u]x). The lack of driver engagement and control lead to a very disconnected feeling. Trans was super slow to shift too.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
37driver
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply's. I really do like driving around town in DS mode cause in D you get up to 35 and your already in 5th gear and I hate to lug the engine. However, I do use D on the freeway.
I'm just glad to know that what I was experiencing is normal. While I only have a couple of posts since I joined in Jan. I have learned an awful lot from you guys just by reading as many posts as I possibly can. Again thanks for your help.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Itchytoe

The auto tranny won't let you lug the engine. I wouldn't worry about that with any auto tranny. They're not great, but they are designed to keep the engine safe.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 AM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
for 2009, Transmission changed to 7AT. It shifts a lot smoother because there are more gears so when it down shift, car doesn't jerk or feel awkward as much as 5ATs
I love driving DS mod in city, and on highway D of course.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:56 AM
2008G37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
The auto tranny won't let you lug the engine.
Oh it sure the hell will! I can lug the engine like crazy going uphill grade easily to the point the car feels like its gonna fall on its face. Going up and down rolling elevations of 2K feet in Oregon the car was a POS in D and DS. It couldnt decide what gear it wanted to be in and most of the time it was lugging such a low rpm in wrong gear it forced me to use the paddles.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Hate to bump such an old thread but this is exactly my topic. I had no idea the trans would shift on its own in DS mode until it did it on its own today. So there's D, DS and Manual? Manual is the most fun but I feel like DS is very random and don't know when its going up or down, when is DS even good to use? I was slowing to a light and it went from 3,2,1 so fast I thought I was going to rear end the guy in front of me. I love my car but man, these autos are leaving me unsettled. The manual swap is looking more and more appealing.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Curious if you have the latest firmware for the tranny. I actually enjoy DS and I usually use it when I know I'll be accelerating/decelerating hard and often (traffic) and leave it in D while on the freeway. Mine'll downshift into third and second aggressively but not into first until I'm almost at a complete stop.

Quick Reply: Shift difference between D and DS.