Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazicon
^ I do beleive a big part of the way the cars shift is whats it's learned about your driving style. If your habits are babing it then thats what it expects. When you go out of the norm it freaks out. It really does learn your driving stlye. Our car is a weekend kind of car and so the wife rarely drives it at this point. She doesn't like to drive with me in the car.......... I really don't blame her. I tend to be on it alot and thats probably why it only gets around 15mpg in the city.
My woman drives my car more often than me. I drive my beater to work and the G on weekends. She keeps the G during the week and takes it out almost every day. She sometimes doesn't enjoy me driving because I like to drive manually shifting at 5k+.

I only et two days a week to enjoy my car and when I have the chance I do tend to enjoy it a bit too much.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
ACoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ 2008G37s:

Wow, that is some kind of lag. I've never experienced that kind of lag either in my current 2011 or in my 2007. I drive it only in manual so maybe it's learned. I certainly have never had downshift lag...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM
The Jewbag

Why is everyone talking as if our paddle shifters are real paddle shifters? Its not a slushbox it's just a torque converter
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
Why is everyone talking as if our paddle shifters are real paddle shifters? Its not a slushbox it's just a torque converter
Ummmm it is a slushbox. And the paddle shifters are real. Sure the trans is not a DCT (if that's what you mean by saying the paddle shifters are not real) but the paddle shifters are real enough and they do their job.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
HoustonG37S

Originally Posted by 2008G37s
I have been messing with the paddles as well as DS mode manually shifting with shifter and have come to the same conclusion every time. The manual shifting characteristics of this car are a joke. There is too much lag in shifting to properly estimate when the damn thing is gonna shift even with the paddles. When you hit a paddle it should shift right then and there...period...no lag, no waiting, no watching tach go beyond redline and it not shifting when wot are just bad points. When I drive a car hard I expect it to do what I tell it when I tell it. Whats the good are paddles when it dont shift when you want it to?

I was out tonight and decided to do a wot run from a stop up onto the freeway using paddles. I hit the paddle to upshift into 2nd at 6500 and it decided to finally shift after it began bouncing off the rev limiter at like 8K but only after I let off of it. Geezus it was ridiculous I had to actually let up on it to allow it to finally upshift. So I tried it in 2nd for a upshift to 3rd. Hit the paddle at 6800 and damn thing just kept on going to it bounced the rev limiter. When I glanced at tach it was at 8k and cutting out. So then I tired a couple downshifts with paddles. There the damn lag again. By the time I was halfway through the turn it was just downshifting and much too late.

My wife finally asked what the hell was the matter with the car and why it didnt shift better or when I wanted it to after I was swearing and laughing about it at the same time. I told her, well its your car so just leave it in drive and be happy. I'm glad I dont drive it all the time or I'd get rid of it cause blasting through back roads using paddles would be too inconstant for my liking and my driving ***** out with shift points not exactly where I want them and when I want them.
Infiniti really needs to work on a better shifting system.

I'm sorry but in my book the characteristics of this cars upshifting/downshifting with paddles are a friggin joke. But in all fairness I didnt buy this car for my wife with intentions of her using the paddles but to just drive it in auto and enjoy not having to shift manually. I thought though on occasions I drive it it might behave better then this. Sigh....
+1000, I completely agree and it is quite comical. I think the paddle shifters were Infinit's idea of making the Sport version APPEAR more sporty, but I think you are better off just having the automatic to the work for you because that's what it is techically.

I have a Ferrari F430 that I drive on the weekends and THAT is what a paddle shifter is to the core. When you press the paddles, it shifts faster than you can blink. In the Infiniti, you press the paddle, and the computer sits there and has to think then torque convert. Several hours later, it shifts :P ( exaggerating of course )

One more thing, the paddles are tucked in too deep. they need to stick out a little more. With all of that said, I drive 99.9% in just auto mode. Sometimes i'll put it in the DS mode just to mess around a bit.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
ACoupe

"I have a Ferrari F430 that I drive on the weekends and THAT is what a paddle shifter is to the core."
You're not seriously comparing a $180,000+ dollar supercar to a luxury sport coupe are you?
Yeah, ideally, a Ferrari system that is based off their F1 technology would be awesome in our $50,000 dollar (in Canada) cars, but why not compare apples to apples here?
How does the Infiniti stack up against other vehicles that have the same type of transmission (not a DCT)?

Drive the thing in DS or full auto mode if it's so offensive. I enjoy driving it in manual mode, and whether or not it's a "joke", I don't have a supercar to compare it to so
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
HoustonG37S

Originally Posted by ACoupe
You're not seriously comparing a $180,000+ dollar supercar to a luxury sport coupe are you?
Yeah, ideally, a Ferrari system that is based off their F1 technology would be awesome in our $50,000 dollar (in Canada) cars, but why not compare apples to apples here?
How does the Infiniti stack up against other vehicles that have the same type of transmission (not a DCT)?

Drive the thing in DS or full auto mode if it's so offensive. I enjoy driving it in manual mode, and whether or not it's a "joke", I don't have a supercar to compare it to so
ah, point taken. true the transmission is completely apples to oranges, I was just taking the "paddle shifter" as a comparison. As far as comparison to the peer group, I don't have as much experience here, but I can say that I'm happy with the smoothness of the shifting and even HAPPIER with the power of this G37 coupe. I was amazed when I first drove it how quick this thing is!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
1NEETO

You can't just say you have an F430 and not post pics of it! Post them up!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
ACoupe

"ah, point taken. true the transmission is completely apples to oranges, I was just taking the "paddle shifter" as a comparison. As far as comparison to the peer group, I don't have as much experience here, but I can say that I'm happy with the smoothness of the shifting and even HAPPIER with the power of this G37 coupe. I was amazed when I first drove it how quick this thing is!!!"
And for the record, I LOVE the F430. That is one awesome car!

I think a Dual Clutch would be awesome in the G and I really think it should be something offered in the next gen...
Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 AM
HoustonG37S

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
You can't just say you have an F430 and not post pics of it! Post them up!
ha. true! here you go
Attached Thumbnails Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe-delivery.jpg   Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe-photo1.jpg   Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe-photo2.jpg   Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe-interior-1.jpg  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 PM
1NEETO

Fapfapfapskeetskeetskeet
Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HoustonG37S
ha. true! here you go

How about some pics next to your g so we can compare apple to oranges
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
stoutg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in my honest opinion i like the paddle shifters best i get the best launch and cleanest shifts.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IMHO i like boobies
Old 09-30-2011, 10:55 PM
chirish83

Future owner here; does the 5AT tranny/ECU have the rev-matching downshift in Sport Mode like the 7AT?

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe