Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe

i am new to the Paddle shifting, been driving manual cars my life.

Couple of question hoping someone can answer for me

When shifting using the paddles do you have to let go of the accelerator like in a manual car when you are shifting?

what is the shift point when in manual mode? how many RPMS should i be shifting at?

While in manual mode and down shifting, when i get to a stop light and put it in first gear, why is there a lag before the car picks up again?

When not in manual mode and you shift to a higher gear does it improve MPG if i am driving 45 MPH in 5th gear?

thx
Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you're putting too much thought into it.

Just shift like a manual ... i.e. the shift points depend on engine load and RPM. No need to remove gas cuz it is still an automaitc.

Keep in mind the engine likes to rev, so that is where the most torque is. You'll get the feel of it in time.

Originally Posted by trulegend
i am new to the Paddle shifting, been driving manual cars my life.

Couple of question hoping someone can answer for me

When shifting using the paddles do you have to let go of the accelerator like in a manual car when you are shifting?

what is the shift point when in manual mode? how many RPMS should i be shifting at?

While in manual mode and down shifting, when i get to a stop light and put it in first gear, why is there a lag before the car picks up again?

When not in manual mode and you shift to a higher gear does it improve MPG if i am driving 45 MPH in 5th gear?

thx
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Real easy... put it in DS and drop the hammer.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No on releasing the gas pedal in between shifts. A slushbox is a slushbox. The lag is something you must live with unless you get a tune. 45 mph on fifth gear will save you has if on a flat road or downhill. I'd going up an incline it's best to downshift to fourth instead of stalling the converter on fifth. You can actually see this yourself by going up an incline on fourth gear at 40-45 mph and then shift to 5th, tou will notice the rpm's drop very little because the converter will stall. In such case it's best to just choose the lower gear.

Remember, gas mileage is very dependable on engine load more than rpm. In other words, your mileage will suffer if you lug the engine at low rpm's on a high gear.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
Real easy... put it in DS and drop the hammer.
Plus one^^^^^ I don't **** with the paddles,the DS mode does a good job of it, and stays aggressive as long as you keep your foot in it....

That way, you can concentrate on the other aspects of driving....
Old 08-25-2011, 12:55 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by yogregb
Plus one^^^^^ I don't **** with the paddles,the DS mode does a good job of it, and stays aggressive as long as you keep your foot in it....

That way, you can concentrate on the other aspects of driving....
Super noob question but here it is anyways ! DS is just the "sports" mode of automatics right? Just drive regular like any auto except its "sport" and burns more gas ?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:26 PM
11_xS_coupe

Originally Posted by LegitMW
Super noob question but here it is anyways ! DS is just the "sports" mode of automatics right? Just drive regular like any auto except its "sport" and burns more gas ?
DS is when you move the shifter to the left and are able to shift up and down like a manual without a clutch. Some cars force the car to change gears at low RPMS, but ours lets you ride it very high.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

DS mode will make your car change gears at higher rpms
Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
HBSURFDAD

The D is for Dynamic, shifts later in the power band. D is weekdays, DS auto is weekend. DS with the flappys, pure fun!

HBSURFDAD
Old 08-26-2011, 07:42 PM
sriniG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has probably been answered already but basically you have 3 driving options:

D is just regular auto

DS is like a sport auto (gear changes at higher rpms)... the DS also has rev matching... when u brake to slow down for a turn the computer automatically increases the rpm so you can rocket out of the turn... this feature is awesome especially on curvy roads...

DS manual... once u put the car in DS just tap any of the paddles once and the car is now in manual mode (i just call it auto-manual coz its not really manual ) u can now use the shifters to change gears... i think if u forget to shift or something it automatically shifts for u once u hit the red line (never tried it ) same thing when u come to a stop... it automatically brings it to 1st gear.

And as 1NEETO said gas mileage depends on engine load and the way u drive...

DAMN thats a looooong answer!!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sriniG37
i think if u forget to shift or something it automatically shifts for u once u hit the red line (never tried it )

DAMN thats a looooong answer!!
In DS Manual once you start shifting with the paddles or the gear shifter it won't change gears for you and you will find the rev limiter...................

Also if you are getting into it shifting with the paddles right around 7k seems to work well. Just before or right at but if you go just past, it will lag enough to find the rev limiter. This might seem high but this is where these cars come alive.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 PM
sriniG37

Originally Posted by Tazicon
In DS Manual once you start shifting with the paddles or the gear shifter it won't change gears for you and you will find the rev limiter...................
in that case its a good thing that i did not try it thanks for correcting me...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sriniG37
in that case its a good thing that i did not try it thanks for correcting me...

I found out the hard way. At first I hated the paddles but as time has gone on and I have learned to use them I love them.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For auto-manual fuel conservation, the instantaneous fuel consumption will help you tweak the best gear. I am still practicing on gas pedal feathering in D. Of course, it all goes out the window when I goose it to pass the slowpokes in TX.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
sriniG37

I feel that u should not worry too much about gas mileage when u have a car like this... i know these are tough times and fuel prices are not really cheap... but u gotta live with it if u want such a great car...
initially when i got the car i was so worried about gas mileage that i always used to keep looking at the fuel gauge... when u start doing that u never really enjoy driving the car... whats the point in paying so much and getting this car if ur not gonna enjoy it... of course this is just my opinion...
u can be really conservative and nurse the car around at 3k rpm or u could drive like a maniac and floor it always... in the end u shud enjoy driving this machine

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifting 101 on the coupe